Most Important Quality Tannehill Needs To Show These Last Games... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Most Important Quality Tannehill Needs To Show These Last Games...

RobertHorry

Scout Team
Reaction score
Is flawed thinking and imposing himself.

Tannehill has to start having more flawed thinking. He needs to keep doing what he did in the Bills game with Stills and the deep ball to Parker. Throw the contested balls and throw them deep. He's taking more shots the past 2 games than he has in a while. Before he would settle for the check down if the deep route wasn't perfectly open. He finally started trying to impose himself recently with downfield throws even if they aren't perfectly ideal or open. It benefits QBs like Brady, Rodgers, Ben, etc. Once he starts doing that, I think he will be on a much better path.

Tannehill will throw Interceptions most likely then. The thing with him is that he usually has low Int's every season but it comes with a small amount of forced/deep shots. If you look at the top QBs they force the ball downfield and impose themselves few times a game and sometimes throw picks. He needs to keep doing that. Not every play, but a small amount will really help him. It trumps going 3 and out with throws short of the sticks every time.

It will open the offense a lot more and the run game too. Impose himself and don't wait for the perfect situation.

Agreed...more gunslinger. Maybe more jump ball targets to Parker, Carroo and, dare I say it, Gesicki though. Stills for the flies.

I think we have already seen what he can do. He’s on the wrong side of 30 to teach an old dog new tricks.

You don’t think he can attempt the throw longer down field or into tighter windows? Im not sure that requires new tricks per say.

Now things like switching from a scramble qb to a pocket passer for instance- that I would get.

When was the last time he took off on a good scramble? His legs were a good part his game I know his knee is jacked but he needs to at least take off every now and then imo

Yeah...Im more worried about him taking a shot and his arm falling off than the knee at this point. I think the shoulder injury is more bothersome than the official stance...no proof, just my take on watching his throws and how he goes down when hit.

I agree with the premise but there’s such a delicate balance here. Design more routes that threaten the sticks. Qb starts spraying the sticks in an effort to move them without clearance and not only picks happen but qb will take you out of the game.

Aggressive sure. But smart about it. Don’t start throwing to clear out concepts just cause they clear the sticks. Clear outs are usually designed to take help coverage with them.

I get what horry is saying though.

When was the last time he took off on a good scramble? His legs were a good part his game I know his knee is jacked but he needs to at least take off every now and then imo

Not sure why he isn’t using his legs more, unless they have impressed on him they don’t want him taking shots on that shoulder

You don’t think he can attempt the throw longer down field or into tighter windows? Im not sure that requires new tricks per say.

Now things like switching from a scramble qb to a pocket passer for instance- that I would get.

7 years, he isn’t changing or getting better. He has a losing record as a starter. He will never elevate the play of those around him. We need to do something about his contract and then draft a QB in 2020.

I definitely want to see aggressiveness downfield, but I think we need to attack intermediary (15-20 yards) much more often. I thought the first drive the last two games we attacked the intermediary more and had success...

Didnt the Pats pretty much play dime against us the first game and dare us to try to run though?

I agree with the premise but there’s such a delicate balance here. Design more routes that threaten the sticks. Qb starts spraying the sticks in an effort to move them without clearance and not only picks happen but qb will take you out of the game.

Aggressive sure. But smart about it. Don’t start throwing to clear out concepts just cause they clear the sticks. Clear outs are usually designed to take help coverage with them.

I get what horry is saying though.

Yea not saying spray out of control. He needs to be smart and get the yards for the first. But he already does that. Its not like you have to push him to tone it down and play the sticks. He's been doing that forever. He needs to add that imposing aggressive nature in some throws, which he is definitely doing more.

Gase needs to keep designing vertical routes in combination with his horizontal routes.

I definitely want to see aggressiveness downfield, but I think we need to attack intermediary (15-20 yards) much more often. I thought the first drive the last two games we attacked the intermediary more and had success...

Didnt the Pats pretty much play dime against us the first game and dare us to try to run though?

They did but they were also super aggressive on the horizontal short routes, not paying attention to the clear outs we always run

Praised him quite a bit in chat for it on Sunday.

Who cares if they weren’t perfect throws or that one was picked . . . . The attempts are what matters.

I like how you phrased it . . . “Flawed thinking”. Stop playing like you are reading from a manual and just go out there and make plays. While the offensive line is trash, teams know you are checking down 95% of the times all it does is shorten the field and puts more pressure on the 5 in front of you. Then he doesn’t improvise at a high level and you get constant mediocrity and a shitty offense.

Would love to see more of it this week but I do agree this can be accomplished without being wreckless.

Praised him quite a bit in chat for it on Sunday.

Who cares if they weren’t perfect throws or that one was picked . . . . The attempts are what matters.

I like how you phrased it . . . “Flawed thinking”. Stop playing like you are reading from a manual and just go out there and make plays. While the offensive line is trash, teams know you are checking down 95% of the times all it does is shorten the field and puts more pressure on the 5 in front of you. Then he doesn’t improvise at a high level and you get constant mediocrity and a ****ty offense.

Would love to see more of it this week but I do agree this can be accomplished without being wreckless.

Yep. When he does throw it up and take shots he gets plays like Carroo making a play or Stills. Sometime it will be picked like the first throw to Stills down the boundary on a double move, but keep taking smart shots.

Is flawed thinking and imposing himself.

Tannehill has to start having more flawed thinking. He needs to keep doing what he did in the Bills game with Stills and the deep ball to Parker. Throw the contested balls and throw them deep. He's taking more shots the past 2 games than he has in a while. Before he would settle for the check down if the deep route wasn't perfectly open. He finally started trying to impose himself recently with downfield throws even if they aren't perfectly ideal or open. It benefits QBs like Brady, Rodgers, Ben, etc. Once he starts doing that, I think he will be on a much better path.

Tannehill will throw Interceptions most likely then. The thing with him is that he usually has low Int's every season but it comes with a small amount of forced/deep shots. If you look at the top QBs they force the ball downfield and impose themselves few times a game and sometimes throw picks. He needs to keep doing that. Not every play, but a small amount will really help him. It trumps going 3 and out with throws short of the sticks every time.

It will open the offense a lot more and the run game too. Impose himself and don't wait for the perfect situation.
I noticed that too. What's good is that if you do that two games in a row and you have success withit, which he did, you can get he'll keep doing it. The beauty of those plays is even if it gets picked its basically lime a punt...no harm. You have to pick your spots in games though. For me it's when the momentum is in your favor. Try to bury them. I'm a little less enthusiastic when the momentum is with the other team

Back
Top Bottom