Most Impressive Players at Mini Camp? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Most Impressive Players at Mini Camp?

Lee2000

FinHeaven VIP
Joined
May 1, 2002
Messages
2,788
Reaction score
25
Age
58
To all mini camp attenders: What players stood out the most at all positions?

Who surprised you (better than expected; false assumptions etc)?

What concerns do you have regarding this team after attending mini camp?

What moves would you guess will be made based on what you saw?

What players do you expect to have a short stay after watching mini camp?

All of this is purely speculation and subject to opinion.

Lee2000 :confused:
 

Prime

FinHeaven Elite
Joined
Feb 22, 2004
Messages
13,301
Reaction score
0
Location
ohio
I didnt attend MC, but after reading reports about it, it seems like that maybe Travis Daniels or Wes Welker has been the most impressive player.
 

Krie30511

Seasoned Veteran
Joined
Aug 12, 2004
Messages
874
Reaction score
5
Age
37
Location
Miami
I went on saturday morning... i'll break it down by posistion...

QB: Ferotte was the better QB of the 3... he just ran all the drills crisply and he does have a strong grasp of the offense.... don't be suprised if he's taking all the snaps sept. 11th

RB: ALL... besides Minor all the RB's looked good. They all had nice runs and catches... I can see Gord & Brown starting both ran well and were exceptional on passing routes.... Brown will be a solid back for a while it seems....

WR: Booker has gained some weight & it looks like its helping him win some battles, Davis is crisp on routes and has some vert too, most impressive though is Welker. He's fast, runs routes almost perfect and made some beautiful snags....Chambers was quiet but just did his thing,solid as usual. The QB's weren't much help for these guys....

TE: McMike obviously

OL: I could only see them as a unit.... they looked IMPROVED... there was still some missed blocks and blown assignments but over all there was some running room for the backs... I'm excited about these guys because seeing what I saw last year I'm will to put my butt on the line and say this O-line will prove to be 100x's better than the likes of last year... they just seem to have it together much better than last years squad.... so I was much IMPRESSED by the improvement of the unit as a whole...

DL's: All I can say is SOLID, SOLID, SOLID.... Zgonina (*spell check) is a monster. he's gotta be 300 lbs of steel.... but Kevin, Vonnie, Jason & Matt R. all impressive... run support will not be an issue this year... chester & traylor will be iron we walls in the middle.....

LB's: SOLID as well.... look like there picking up the D fairly quickly Seau, Thomas and Spragan looked solid Pope & Channing looked a little confused BUT they looked good athleticly... they just need to pick up on the learning

CB's/S/SS: Daniels, in my opinon, will start over howard and edwards he just looked crisp, clean and fast. Madison walked away with a few INTs during drills and is looking great as usual. but i fully expect daniels to start opposite Madison. Bua is a beast, and an athlete, he showed it in drills he just seemed to be a little confused but he'll be alright come september.... Tillman and Jones great additions they looked strong and Saban was complemnting them both.... out of all these guys Saban was complemnting Daniels the most and honestly he was the most impressive....
 

miabrown23

Seasoned Veteran
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
1,000
Reaction score
1
Age
42
Location
toronto
im glad to hear that daniels is doing well i knew was going to be a starter just not this soon. also good news bout welker i hope he can play a little reciver this year. welker was my team mvp last year
 

MiamiMan147

I'm a Rocket Man
Joined
Oct 26, 2002
Messages
913
Reaction score
0
Age
43
Who cares? 2 years ago Derrius Thompson was a stud during minicamps.
 

Trackstar

Practice Squad
Joined
Jan 25, 2004
Messages
1,897
Reaction score
0
Age
36
Location
I'm out
Krie30511 said:
I went on saturday morning... i'll break it down by posistion...

QB: Ferotte was the better QB of the 3... he just ran all the drills crisply and he does have a strong grasp of the offense.... don't be suprised if he's taking all the snaps sept. 11th

RB: ALL... besides Minor all the RB's looked good. They all had nice runs and catches... I can see Gord & Brown starting both ran well and were exceptional on passing routes.... Brown will be a solid back for a while it seems....

WR: Booker has gained some weight & it looks like its helping him win some battles, Davis is crisp on routes and has some vert too, most impressive though is Welker. He's fast, runs routes almost perfect and made some beautiful snags....Chambers was quiet but just did his thing,solid as usual. The QB's weren't much help for these guys....

TE: McMike obviously

OL: I could only see them as a unit.... they looked IMPROVED... there was still some missed blocks and blown assignments but over all there was some running room for the backs... I'm excited about these guys because seeing what I saw last year I'm will to put my butt on the line and say this O-line will prove to be 100x's better than the likes of last year... they just seem to have it together much better than last years squad.... so I was much IMPRESSED by the improvement of the unit as a whole...

DL's: All I can say is SOLID, SOLID, SOLID.... Zgonina (*spell check) is a monster. he's gotta be 300 lbs of steel.... but Kevin, Vonnie, Jason & Matt R. all impressive... run support will not be an issue this year... chester & traylor will be iron we walls in the middle.....

LB's: SOLID as well.... look like there picking up the D fairly quickly Seau, Thomas and Spragan looked solid Pope & Channing looked a little confused BUT they looked good athleticly... they just need to pick up on the learning

CB's/S/SS: Daniels, in my opinon, will start over howard and edwards he just looked crisp, clean and fast. Madison walked away with a few INTs during drills and is looking great as usual. but i fully expect daniels to start opposite Madison. Bua is a beast, and an athlete, he showed it in drills he just seemed to be a little confused but he'll be alright come september.... Tillman and Jones great additions they looked strong and Saban was complemnting them both.... out of all these guys Saban was complemnting Daniels the most and honestly he was the most impressive....

Good Post. I thought Feeley showed outstanding zip on the ball during the teo minute drill on Sat afternoon. He made some good throws and made quick decisions.

Randy McMicheal had a great catch over the middle, but on the next play he would have got T-boned if the pads were on. He went up for a catch and got smacked in the face.

The O-line seemed much more organized than in the Wanny era. If you check Muck's camp report he had pictures of the throwing lanes that were created for the QB's to throw. In previous years the O-line looked chaotic and unorganized. Even in MiniCamp the D-line would destroy them. This year that is not the story! The line looks totally revamped and organized. They WILL be better.
 

Trackstar

Practice Squad
Joined
Jan 25, 2004
Messages
1,897
Reaction score
0
Age
36
Location
I'm out
MiamiMan147 said:
Who cares? 2 years ago Derrius Thompson was a stud during minicamps.

He was also a Stud dring T.C. I still ahve a copy of the scrimmage against the Titans and Derrius was outstanding. This is Mini Camp, and some players that look good now will turn out to be nothing once the pads go on. But it's not fair to put off a player's progress just because a few guys dissapointed us in the past.
 

BLITZKRIEG

~LACUNA LEGIONS~
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
6,910
Reaction score
11
Location
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
There is a WR, #17 who has been great. I'm not sure what his name is, but he stood out bigtime on Saturday. He's like 6'0 190, and he caught everything thrown his way. He also torched the secondary for a long TD on that day. He could be someone to watch....

I've been kee***** close eye on the DL additions, and they look great IMO. Carter is going make a big impact, and Holliday should give us some added depth. DT K. Traylor is HUGE. I only hope he can get into better shape before the season starts, he's alittle too big, if that's possible for DT's....

The OL, in my opinion, is still in trouble. They looked very confused, and considering all the changes / position swaps that Houck is tinkering with, I can understand why. McKinney is still playing C from what I've seen, and the only locks appear to be at OT {McIntosh} and LG {James}....

Guys like McDougal / Carey / Hadnot / St. Clair / Wade / Alabi will all be fighting for a starting position. The best five will start, and that's all I care about. I would like to see Hadnot take the starting job at Center however. McKinney is OG material, and should have never been given the starting job last year. Other than OG T. Whitley, who completely sucks, he's one of our weakest links IMO....

Later....
 

Trackstar

Practice Squad
Joined
Jan 25, 2004
Messages
1,897
Reaction score
0
Age
36
Location
I'm out
BLITZKRIEG said:
There is a WR, #17 who has been great. I'm not sure what his name is, but he stood out bigtime on Saturday. He's like 6'0 190, and he caught everything thrown his way. He also torched the secondary for a long TD on that day. He could be someone to watch....

I've been kee***** close eye on the DL additions, and they look great IMO. Carter is going make a big impact, and Holliday should give us some added depth. DT K. Traylor is HUGE. I only hope he can get into better shape before the season starts, he's alittle too big, if that's possible for DT's....

The OL, in my opinion, is still in trouble. They looked very confused, and considering all the changes / position swaps that Houck is tinkering with, I can understand why. McKinney is still playing C from what I've seen, and the only locks appear to be at OT {McIntosh} and LG {James}....

Guys like McDougal / Carey / Hadnot / St. Clair / Wade / Alabi will all be fighting for a starting position. The best five will start, and that's all I care about. I would like to see Hadnot take the starting job at Center however. McKinney is OG material, and should have never been given the starting job last year. Other than OG T. Whitley, who completely sucks, he's one of our weakest links IMO....

Later....


I believe his name is Josh Davis. Never heard of him, but I also saw him Saturday afternoon and he did standout. I think he was the only one who connected on a deep ball all afternoon.
 

ChambersNBoston

Dan Marino is a God
Joined
Mar 16, 2004
Messages
834
Reaction score
0
Age
41
I wouldn't worry about Traylor too much...Big Timbo used to be the same way...got big in the offseason and come in big at minicamps but always got back in football form in time for training camp. ditto for Chester.
 

A Wing Pilot

Section:445 Row:19 Seat:1&2
Joined
Mar 4, 2004
Messages
2,386
Reaction score
0
Age
44
Location
Coral Springs
Thomas, Zognina, Welker, Brown, Bigby, Roth, Kay Jay, Saban

Those guys all stood out. This doesn't mean the others sucked, they just weren't standouts or were exactly what i expected
 

Lee2000

FinHeaven VIP
Joined
May 1, 2002
Messages
2,788
Reaction score
25
Age
58
Point Taken

MiamiMan147 said:
Who cares? 2 years ago Derrius Thompson was a stud during minicamps.

It can not be under-estimated that too much anticipation is around during this time of year, but please afford us the fun of it.

Lee2000 :D
 

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Joined
May 24, 2002
Messages
52,568
Reaction score
7,183
Location
Tampa, FL
The most common observations I've noticed are:

1. The QB's have sucked, with one anonymous Dolphins source quoting that he's seen more interceptions than he's ever seen, but of the three Frerotte has looked the best;

2. The RBs collectively have been impressive (all of them, even Minor);

3. Vernon Carey has shown significant improvement (but still inconsistent);

4. The OL, at the very least, looks more cohesive and organized than last year;

4. Josh Davis and Wes Welker get the surprise WRs of minicamp award, with previous award winners being Charles Jordan, Nate Jacquet, Brian Manning, Larry Shannon, Chris Chambers, Kendall Newson, Randy McMichael, Derrius Thompson, and J.R. Tolver;

5. Zach Thomas' arms look huge (probably most popular comment I've seen);

6. Keith Traylor looks pregnant;

7. Jeff Zgonina is jacked;

8. Heath Evans is jacked as well;

9. David Bowens got an interception while dropping back into coverage;

10. Olindo Mare has been consistent with his kicking (in that he's missing, a lot...I miss Doug Blevins and I bet he does too).
 

FinNasty

"The Sticker Dunk"
Joined
Apr 14, 2005
Messages
7,235
Reaction score
0
Age
38
awing_pilot said:
Thomas, Zognina, Welker, Brown, Bigby, Roth, Kay Jay, Saban

Those guys all stood out. This doesn't mean the others sucked, they just weren't standouts or were exactly what i expected

Tell me more about Bigby... did he make any plays? what about him impressed you?

Nasty
 
Top Bottom