Most Memorable Dolphins game | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Most Memorable Dolphins game

So I will try not to repeat any as you guys have picked some terrific ones and reminded me of some I had forgotten.

A real treat - Cam Wake’s walk off Safety in OT vs the Bengals. I loved it because it was when they installed the new OT rules and after the refs explained the 57 ways the game could end, it was as if Wake said, “that’s too complicated - how about we end this right here right now”. What a thrill.

Oh God that is one of my least favorite Dolphin wins ever because it was so typically Philbin. We had easy control of the game and outplayed the Bengals all game long. Yet somehow, inexplicably, we let them come back and actually take the lead. Then in OT we have a great chance to easily end the game with offense, getting the ball Bengals side of the field, and can't make a play. Wake's safety was a memorable play but it was a disgusting game to ever get to that point.

That was also the game that Martin disappeared right before. Amazingly the line held up decently in an emergency...then couldn't block anyone when the game had weeks to prepare for a winless Bucs team. That was a dark time on a team that had started 3-0.

Oh God that is one of my least favorite Dolphin wins ever because it was so typically Philbin. We had easy control of the game and outplayed the Bengals all game long. Yet somehow, inexplicably, we let them come back and actually take the lead. Then in OT we have a great chance to easily end the game with offense, getting the ball Bengals side of the field, and can't make a play. Wake's safety was a memorable play but it was a disgusting game to ever get to that point.

That was also the game that Martin disappeared right before. Amazingly the line held up decently in an emergency...then couldn't block anyone when the game had weeks to prepare for a winless Bucs team. That was a dark time on a team that had started 3-0.
For some reason I thought the safety happened right after the OT kickoff - thought they bengals got a holding penalty and started backed up. Am I losing it?

I forgot to list this game. It isn't posted anywhere either. Mare's kick came right after Elam's.
I was at that game and you're right, it was a great game and one that I will always remember. Having the Bronco fans go crazy after Elam made that 55 yd kick with 45 secs left and then when Mare'e came back and made his 53 yarder, the Bronco fans got quite and the Dolphin fans went nuts!

I've had to rely on old footage, documentaries, books (just finished reading Bob Griese - Perfection) for my Fins knowledge. Quick question to those lucky enough to see him play, exactly how good was Larry Csonka to watch live?

For some reason I thought the safety happened right after the OT kickoff - thought they bengals got a holding penalty and started backed up. Am I losing it?
You are losing it. Back and forth game even in OT. I believe there was about 6 or 7 minutes left in OT when the safety happened. Each team had a few OT possessions

Not among the more famous Dolphins games but I have a few that were not mentioned.
1992 week 5 at Buffalo
1991 week 13 at Chicago (blocked punt, and Clayton's magnificent catch on his back in the snow make this memorable. I still remember watching this game with my dad)
1991 at home against Cincinnati on MNF (Stoyo's slip on his one field goal is still great to watch)
2002 vs Chicago on MNF (the first all aqua game)
1995 week 3 vs Pittsburgh on MNF- This was the game that made me a believer we were going to the Super Bowl that year. I also love any time Miami beats up on Pittsburgh.
2008 at Kansas City
2008 at NYJ to close out the season

I have not seen the week 1 game against NE in 1994 yet. Nobody has it posted. Obviously I am very familiar with the game itself and the outcome. I just have not had a chance to ever watch the game in its entirety

1985 against Chicago on MNF is on my list as well but it has already been mentioned

The 1991 games you listed are among my favorites. Ill be 39 this year and the earliest season i can remember is 90, so those were my formulative fin years. I actually had the bears game on dvd not sure what the heck i did with it. I remember being at a family party and watching the game being nervous about the wildcard race. that catch by clayton doesn't get enough credit. My memory may be off on this one but the cincy game might be where cox tried to go into the bengals bench because they took a cheap shot on stoyo...

The Wildcat game against the pats was amazing. Really a game changing moment for the NFL and adapting to unique/college style offenses. 5 TDs for Ronnie Brown and beating the pats and seeing belicheck so furious was amazing.

The Miami Miracle was the most excited I’ve been in recent history. The shock and joy of that game winning score and against the Pats again was so so sweet.

Those are the 2 that stick out to me I’m only 27 so don’t remember much of the glory days. At least not watching them live. Only replays which don’t hit the same.

The 1991 games you listed are among my favorites. Ill be 39 this year and the earliest season i can remember is 90, so those were my formulative fin years. I actually had the bears game on dvd not sure what the heck i did with it. I remember being at a family party and watching the game being nervous about the wildcard race. that catch by clayton doesn't get enough credit. My memory may be off on this one but the cincy game might be where cox tried to go into the bengals bench because they took a cheap shot on stoyo...

Yep. I'm less than a year older than you (turned 40 a few months ago). I have memories of watching the 1984 AFC Championship (only because of the fact my uncle called the night before and said Miami was going to lose). I remember the game being on and seeing the black uniforms of the Steelers in sharp contrast to the all-white Dolphins uniforms. But I don't remember the game itself. I got my first Dolphins jersey in 1988 (a Marino Rawlings jersey). I remember 1989 well and 1990 for sure. 1990 was the first season where I followed stat lines and stuff of that nature. I didn't get to see the Dolphins very often since I live in PA ( 90 minutes or so north of Pittsburgh). I wish I had seen Marino more early in his career but in a lot of ways, I feel like you and I grew up in the golden age of Marino. We were too young to really catch his two best seasons (1984 and 1986) as well his his first few early campaigns. But, we caught the rest of his career in a way we vividly remember (I remember bits of watching them in 87 and 88 but nothing vivid-- I remember enough to know I watched their games when I could). The game against Pittsburgh in the cold in 1988 (Marino was pulled for Jaworski) is a vivid memory for me. I remember that night at church and my grandfather (he was a minister and missionary and a Cowboys fan) talking to another minister friend about the game. I remember the other gentleman saying "Both of those interceptions should have been caught."

I remember Marino turning 31 at the tail end of the 1992 opener against the Browns that went into the very early morning (the game must have ended at 12:02 or something). I had that game on VHS for a long time. We were in high school when JImmy Johnson took over. I wasn't crazy about Jimmy (this is not hindsight. I wasn't even thrilled we hired him n 1996). However, I was optimistic. We know how that turned out. I was actually a big fan of Wannstedt. As a Dolphins fan and Pitt alum, I put up with him from 2000-2010. I thought he was a decent guy and liked him as a person. I thought he was a solid coach 6 days a week at both levels. :) Some guys are meant to be coordinators their entire career. That was Dave.

The Cincy game is the very same. It is on youtube in it's entirety. There is also a clip of Cox going after the Bengals bench that is posted somewhere on there by itself.

Last edited:
vs Bears 1991

vs Bengals 1991

vs Browns 1992 season opener (kind of funny to hear Bernie without his voice being so raspy)

That Monday night game against the Browns to open the 1992 season is great. First Dolphins game I watched after moving away to college— alone in my dorm room, on a tiny B&W screen. That was the year the Dolphins had a week 1 bye due to Hurricane Andrew.

Back
Top Bottom