Most misleading combine performances... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Most misleading combine performances...

I've got to assume that a large portion of this receptions were jump balls thrown up by the Beard. Those usually don't result in broken tackles. I dunno about the rest.

I liked the improvement we saw in him last year and look forward to seeing him continue (hopefully) to grow.

Just happy to see him getting better. Far from a finished product at this point. The arrow is pointing up after his baptism into the NFL year one. We saw them scheme to his strengths and the production came along with it. Genuinely gaining confidence throughout the year I wonder what the approach and mindset is going into the off season? Both individually and from the coaching staff alike.

Just happy to see him getting better. Far from a finished product at this point. The arrow is pointing up after his baptism into the NFL year one. We saw them scheme to his strengths and the production came along with it. Genuinely gaining confidence throughout the year I wonder what the approach and mindset is going into the off season? Both individually and from the coaching staff alike.

Good coaching can not be underestimated

It’s an odd stat, but not really something I’m concerned with. I watched all of Miami’s games this year. Most of his catches were “hey, that was a nice catch!” to me...that might sound weird, but most of the plays that stood out to me were difficult catches with no chance of a broken tackle. I’m sure there were times when he could have made a more explosive play, but I was honestly pretty happy with his growth this year.

It’s an odd stat, but not really something I’m concerned with. I watched all of Miami’s games this year. Most of his catches were “hey, that was a nice catch!” to me...that might sound weird, but most of the plays that stood out to me were difficult catches with no chance of a broken tackle. I’m sure there were times when he could have made a more explosive play, but I was honestly pretty happy with his growth this year.
That final catch of the year was a thing of beauty. Great route, great hands, great play design.

literally the last aspect i care about in a TE. he's not catching screens or running behind the OL. he's not even being paired up on corners most of the time. use his size to bully defenders, use his speed to get open, and use his athleticism come up with contested passes in the Red Zone.

Thought he improved significantly last year but that stat is troubling.

Hopefully he continues to improve, Fitzpatrick seems to like him.
Without looking, as I recall, many of his catches were 1st downs. The routes may have designed in such a way that RAC was secondary to moving the chains?

He isn't exceptionally physical, for his size. That's one reason blocking is such a challenge, but he did put his head down at times last season. His rookie year, between the hurdling, and falling down, it seemed like he was averse to being hit.

He really stepped up from year 1. I laughed every time I read the giraffe comments about it, because he did look very awkward at times. Great thing about him is, he’s still young. He could step up again next year, let these coaches keep teaching him technique for his blocking. Hopefully he can hit the weights some more this offseason, improve strength, and break some tackles next year. May see him used differently with this new scheme.

You should have just stopped at "I'm posting..."
Given your recent views about the player that's as bias as it gets!

First it's he couldn't stay up right or block...Then it's he couldn't catch..then it's he couldn't make plays...then it's he couldn't score TD's

Now the latest is he can't break tackles...
It's not like Gesicki has turned into Tony Gonzalez all of a sudden. I hope he keeps on improving but no one knows. His rookie season was a disaster and it's nice to see the jump he's made but I feel the jury is still out.

I like Gesicki and see him as a valuable piece. What people seem to forget is there's a reason players are 'average.' Consistently, they're incomplete players. OT? Very good in pass pro, but can't run block. LB? thumper with good instincts, but doesn't have the speed to get to the edge. In this case, Gesicki. Good hands, good size, dangerous receiver, but poor blocker.

Personally, I like average players. Every team is full of them. Teams win with average players. Can they be upgraded? Sure, but it isn't as easy as some think. The mistake some make is comparing a player to a HOFr at the position and thinking, correctly, he has flaws. Flawless players are VERY rare.
The problem is, that that's all Miami's roster is littered with. Average players. It's fine to have some average players if you actually have a roster with some elite players. Miami doesn't have any.

Herbert’s combine performance is going to be one for the ages most of this board will start salivating lol

The Better Justin looks and does the price to move up and acquire one of Tua and Burrow goes down

The problem is, that that's all Miami's roster is littered with. Average players. It's fine to have some average players if you actually have a roster with some elite players. Miami doesn't have any.
That will happen when you do a full blown franchise reset.

IMO, it was the right way to go.

Were you not on board with the rebuild? Serious question, I don't recall your specific position.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom