Most misleading combine performances... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Most misleading combine performances...

Ehh if Gesicki was drafted as an all-purpose, physically imposing tight end I'd be worried about that broken tackle number.

But his game is purely finesse and after last season, he's trending in the right direction. I'm not too worried about it

Yeah. Go figure? Same average players on the same bad team beat the greatest team of all time, with the GOAT at QB, in their house, with a critical bye on the line and . . . I'm serious here, Gesieki of all people, catches the game winning TD!! Who'd have thunk it? I mean, really? :wacky

Nobody is saying he is a bad player...

The thread is to discuss the idea of misleading combine numbers. Gesicki is not only a freak when it comes to these athletic tests, but he has explosive power (broad jump, vert). That stuff should translate into breaking tackles. All that athleticism helps him in other areas, but it isn't hitting the mark in the physical aspect of the game. Maybe it does, but there is no reason a guy who is 250, with those numbers, should not be able to break tackles and at the very least block a little.

Ehh if Gesicki was drafted as an all-purpose, physically imposing tight end I'd be worried about that broken tackle number.

But his game is purely finesse and after last season, he's trending in the right direction. I'm not too worried about it

You have a coach that wants to be physical...why we brought in Chan Gailey...to have a more physical offense. Gesicki is very good at what he does, but what he does is the same as Parker and Williams. Expect Miami to run a lot more and watch Miami look for a more well rounded TE who can block and offer something int he run game and watch Gesicki's snap counts decline.

Nobody is saying he is a bad player...

The thread is to discuss the idea of misleading combine numbers. Gesicki is not only a freak when it comes to these athletic tests, but he has explosive power (broad jump, vert). That stuff should translate into breaking tackles. All that athleticism helps him in other areas, but it isn't hitting the mark in the physical aspect of the game. Maybe it does, but there is no reason a guy who is 250, with those numbers, should not be able to break tackles and at the very least block a little.

Phinatic asked this question, "He improved, but he still has a lot of work to do. Why do people get all emotional about average players on a bad team?" I answered it in a way I hoped he'd understand. As you've said yourself, Gesicki is a freak. Clearly not an "average" player by any means. I choose to view him as an ascending player, while Phinatic chooses to view him as only average for a 2nd year TE. From the way he put it, I would presume expected to be average forever.

Personally, I'm excited by him. And honestly, the kind of TE he is, I think blocking is very low on what we need from him. However, it would be nice if he did get a little better at that, and maybe get a little more elusive after the catch, too. I figure those things come with more experience and coaching.

Many of you were fooled by Jordan Willis' combine. Those #s did not at all translate to the field ... that prospect should've exploded off the screen.

Dontay Moch sure helped himself.

Some people thought Joe Haden had no chance after his.

Heyward-Bey has made a career out of being able to run really fast ... and almost exclusively that.

Jonathan Martin shouldn't have even been drafted after his pathetic showing.

There's a ton of misleading performances every year. Not all athletes can be football players.

He's a lanky dude and runs like a new born giraffe.

But I admit I don't really care if he can't break a tackle as long as he catches the targets he receives.
Thanks for making me spit Coke Cola all over my cell phone!!!!

If you're looking for a misleading combine performance there was a certain tight end out of the university of Missouri drafted by the phins that tore up the combine. Ran a 4.5 something, jumped 11', cried during training camp on hbo...

If you're looking for a misleading combine performance there was a certain tight end out of the university of Missouri drafted by the phins that tore up the combine. Ran a 4.5 something, jumped 11', cried during training camp on hbo...
good ol egnog

Back
Top Bottom