Most overrated defensive end that is one of the weakest links on the defense is...... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Most overrated defensive end that is one of the weakest links on the defense is......

mattgilm

Island Dolphin
Reaction score
Olivier Vernon. The reason he should not be on this team is that he always makes mental mistakes that cost the Dolphins games. He constantly receives costly penalties in the red zone on usually 3rd down. He plays with a high motor and has made many great plays for the team but he has hurt two QB's by hitting them low last season and he just does not seem to help the team as much as he hinders it. Sorry but we need to NOT lose games because OV jumps offsides or fouls someone on 3rd and long or short. Overrated because he may have the physical skills but does he have the mental capacity during games not to make huge mistakes time and time again?:dolphins::crazy::rimshot:

Certainly needed it's own thread. The one with 10,000+ views and over 250 posts just wasn't sufficient. :bobdole:

I wouldnt say he was the weakest link but i would say he is far from being work 12 mil a year and i sure hope somebody offers him a contract that we cant/or unwilling to match.. I know he lead the league in getting pressure but most the time he was getting was pressure was cuz the QB for the other team was holding onto the ball forever it seemed like IMO.. I think we could replace him with a guy in the second round of the draft no problem

OMG, never Would of expected it would OV by reading that title!

You tricked me so good!

I agree, 12m a year is too much for him. I'm fairly sure someone will take him off our hands, though. it might have been better to not tag him at all and hopefully gain a compensatory pick, but we all know that's just a pipe dream. Compensatory picks are stuff that always happens to other people.

OV is not worth 12 million dollars and Cam Wake is not worth 8.

Get rid of em both and let them win championships with other teams...

Spend the $ on the offensive line.

Draft a couple of defensive ends - a few linebackers and cornerbacks...

Trade back in the draft and pick up 12 UDFA - with 8 to 10 draft picks and 12 UDFA we should be able to pull 4 or 5 serviceable players.

Cut Grimes - get rid of Moore and spend some money on some linebackers and defensive backs to boot.

We will be 6 and 10 but at least we will have a trajectory.

Dolphin fans we will suck again this year - but there may be daylight at the end of the tunnel!

Get over the over paid mediocre defensive ends - and yes Wake is now mediocre - he's to old and we waisted his career on pathetically bad teams.

Its not his fault we sucked forever!

Cam Wake lovers get over it and move on let him win a Superbowl with the Seahawks - cuz we ain't getting in the zip code!

Garbage deals. Seahawks are paying M Bennett and C Avril and Chancellor the same amount the Dolphins are paying to Vernon and Wake who produced 33% less than Bennett and Avril alone.

2dvismx.gif

I expected to open this thread and a good read about Cameron wake. sadly I was disappointed.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

Garbage deals. Seahawks are paying M Bennett and C Avril and Chancellor the same amount the Dolphins are paying to Vernon and Wake who produced 33% less than Bennett and Avril alone.
what time period are you talking about? 2015? 2014? 2013?

I expected to open this thread and a good read about Cameron wake. sadly I was disappointed.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

what time period are you talking about? 2015? 2014? 2013?

Lets talk abt last two season which is pertinent. Avril and Bennett had 31 sacks and they together cost $14.2 mil. Yet Dolphins will pay Vernon 12.7 mil for his 14 sacks.

The Dolphins do not just suck on the field, they suck in all aspects.

I wouldnt say he was the weakest link but i would say he is far from being work 12 mil a year and i sure hope somebody offers him a contract that we cant/or unwilling to match.. I know he lead the league in getting pressure but most the time he was getting was pressure was cuz the QB for the other team was holding onto the ball forever it seemed like IMO.. I think we could replace him with a guy in the second round of the draft no problem

So the only reason in your opinion, was because the QB held the ball to long? Seriously? Which Dolphins defense did you watch this year? So Grimes and company were some lock down defenders this year...gotcha.

Vernon had 81 QB pressures last season
or the same QB PRESSURES as the players below COMBINED

Misi
Wake
Jones
Taylor
Phillips
Sheppard
B McCain
Mosley
Aikens
Hewitt
Fede
Moore
Francis
Gary
Jenkins
Williams
McCain
Kovacs
Bowman
M Thomas
C McCain
Vigil
Hull
Coleman
R Tomas
Lippett
Paysinger
Grimes
Coples

OV had a great knack for showing up when the game was decided, and disappearing when it mattered. Not just great, I'd say uncanny.

Vernon had 81 QB pressures last season
or the same QB PRESSURES as the players below COMBINED

Misi
Wake
Jones
Taylor
Phillips
Sheppard
B McCain
Mosley
Aikens
Hewitt
Fede
Moore
Francis
Gary
Jenkins
Williams
McCain
Kovacs
Bowman
M Thomas
C McCain
Vigil
Hull
Coleman
R Tomas
Lippett
Paysinger
Grimes
Coples

This is the most ridiculous list. You included players that barley played let alone rushed the passer.

Back
Top Bottom