Motorsports | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Motorsports

Buckeye Karting Challenge race 5 of 6 today at Circleville Raceway. 15 karts in our class. Biggest field of the season. My brother drew the pole in the first heat race and I’m starting 6th. Then he will be at back for 2nd heat race and I will be 10th. Got brand new Hoosier tires on and ready to go. Anticipation before race is a good feeling. Need to pick up a few spots in each race to end up starting near the front of feature race.

Well that didn’t go well. Dan was in 5th place in feature race when guy behind him drove over his rear bumper on last turn. It allowed guy in 7th to get by at the line. Dan finished in 6th place. He is still in 3rd place for State championship but probably lost any chance at getting 1st with one race left. I had troubles all day. Started feature 11th and got involved in big wreck trying to get by a slower driver. After wreck I drove from the back up to 11th place. Pretty much eliminated any chance for me to be in the top 4 with one race to go. But that’s racing. You have to take the bad with the good.

Feature race compilation from our cameras.

NCMPCrash.jpg

Snapshot of wicked turn 1 wreck at the Nationals at New Castle a few weeks ago.

The video of wreck is at 20 minute mark of the Stahl racing Vlog.

Just for the info of you guys in the States, our biggest race for our touring cars is on this weekend at Bathurst. The Supercheap 1000. I am pretty sure there are channels in the USA that have coverage.

Its the last race for the Holden Factory brand - GM product here. The Commodore has been a very successful over the past 30 years. In 2022, it has been announced that the GM brand will continue in Australia as teams will use the Camaro body shape to race against the Ford Mustang.

Also, Scott McLaaughlin will possibly have his last race in a V8Supercar as next week he is in Long Beach for the last Indy Car race, driving for Penske. It is believed he will drive full time next year for them.

Below are pics of what the Camaro and Mustang may look like on the track.
Camaro to join Supercars grid in 2022 | SupercarsNEW CAMARO HOPE - Auto ActionSupercars unveils 'hybrid ready' Gen3 Camaro, Mustang
Camaro to join Supercars grid in 2022 | Supercars

Rain here today so taking a break with relaxing Sunday watching racing on TV/computer. Will look for the race at Bathurst.

Ran the final OVKA points race yesterday. What great experience that was. I raced in 10 of the 12 points races through the year. Family atmosphere at this track with little drama. 100 plus karts for every outing. They really know how to run a good race.

Last year we made our first venture to this track and found we were back markers on our old karts. We bought the new Birel karts and quickly gained some speed this season. I finished 6th in the points race and was behind 5 guys that have raced at the track for decades.

I feel pretty good moving up to mid pack racer. In this sport you can’t buy success. A fast kart helps but you still have to drive every turn perfectly. I’ll keep working on that.

Fins 1971 - Its an epic track. I have done a few hillclimbs there, in both directions from mountain straight and then from the top of conrod in the opposite direction, and its spine tingling. I have been to the 1000 27 of the past 30 years, and its just plain awesome.

Its a bonus that I have worked for race teams over those 30 years, I have been part of 12 wins. Now thats more than plain awesome

Final race of the Buckeye Karting Challenge today in Camden, OH. It’s going to be a cold one. 40 degrees and it will only warmup 10 or so degrees. Lots of clouds so not much grip on track. Should be interesting. I need a top 5 finish to keep my 5th place standing in season points race. Guy in 6th charging hard and I expect him to finish 1 or 2 at his home track today. Need to match his driving.

After 2 good heat races (6th and 5th) I started the feature race in 7th. On the first lap 2 karts in front of me spun and I cut back to the inside thinking I had 5th place. Roll back from one of the spun karts caught me and bent my rear axle. I had to pull off before finishing a single lap. 5th place kart took 15th place. 3rd week in a row spun kart in front of me has put me off the track. Racing luck.

I pulled off the track at a point where I could film the racing and dismounted the go pro from the back of my kart. The race I witnessed from there was pretty cool. Made me forget about my misfortune. 1 and 2 passed each other 20 times in a 12 lap race. It was impressive to watch the control they had on their karts racing side by side through turns. Hope to be there some day.

My brother Dan started the day in 4th place in season standings and finished there. Missed getting 3rd by 1 point. Even though I got the help I needed by the guy in 6th behind me not winning (he took 2nd) I couldn’t capitalize and finished the season in 6th.

All in all a great season racing in the Buckeye Karting Challenge. We logged over 1300 miles racing at 5 different tracks and made some great friendships along the way. And the main thing is that I got better as a driver even though the results didn’t come out as I had hoped.

7BAC2D25-921C-4286-AAA3-C7C50D060992.jpeg
Buckeye Karting Challenge awards ceremony. My 6th place got me a participation award (plaque) instead of personalized helmet trophy. Oh well. Had a blast and consider all of theses guys brothers now. We had some great races.

The awards banquet was the best that I have ever attended. They gave out $40,000 worth of door prizes, everyone that raced walked away with something. The 40 plus sponsors for this race series really stepped up. The have a 5 race schedule already set for next year.

EBDE1F3D-B8EF-4B3D-876F-662CF64F730D.jpeg
Won my first asphalt race of my career today at Atlanta Motorsport Park. My brother was pushing me across the finish line at the end of race and he finished 2nd. We talked about finishing 1-2 for 5 years and today it finally happened at a major race venue. Incredibly blessed to have such a relationship with my brother.

Back
Top Bottom