Motorsports | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Motorsports

Hosted last dirt race of the season this past weekend at my backyard track. Rain overnight left a thin layer of muck on track that wasn’t going to dry out. Used sweeper on tractor to remove muck. My brother ran in what was left with his Jeep. The result in the end was a very fast track. Video from Donny Rocket who came over with his son to see my track for first time. His son won the 206 class running in my old Sodi kart.

The guy that won most of the races at my main track won the overall Briggs championship for the whole country. He was perfect for most of the season. One time I finished 2nd to him 3 seconds behind. In the Briggs series I finished around 200 out of 1400 in the country. Room to improve for next year.

Winter sucks for racing. Haven't raced in over 5 weeks and it is like going thru withdraw of a drug addition. You get so used to the weekly adrenaline flow and competition.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel... Atlanta Motorsports Park announced races on Jan 30 and Feb 13th for their winter season. Hopefully weather cooperates and I am back racing soon.

Finally got some racing in yesterday. My brother and daughter work for Full Throttle indoor karting in Cincinnati. They are in the process of combining brands and merging with 2 facilities in Louisville and 2 in Detroit. Yesterday I rode down to Louisville with owner of Full Throttle and my brother to see the 2 places in Louisville.

The first was an indoor kart track with axe throwing and smash room. we ran several sessions on the karts. It was good to drive a kart again. My brother is going to do the building maintenance for all 5 sites so he need to get a familiar with site and people. The also were working on a mobile axe throwing trailer to take to events. Kind of interesting.

The 2nd facility was right downtown. Overdrive. More of a bar/food entertainment business. No karts but Axe Throwing, Virtual reality booths a virtual racing setup with 6 high end racing ****pits. We raced several different tracks on the virtual racing setup. It was a workout and pretty fun.

I can feel that I was racing yesterday.

Daytona 500 today at 3:00 PM. Only 30,000 socially distance fans allowed at event which normally draws crowds of 100,000. I looked online and cheapest tickets I could find were just above $200 each. Going to be expensive to go to any sporting events from here on out.

Kart race in Atlanta at AMP was cancelled yesterday due to weather. I'm in Michigan helping my mother anyway so I wouldn't have been able to make it. Next chance to race is March 27th in Atlanta. Man its been a long winter.....

Dozen cars wrecked early at Daytona. Harvick up front skated by untouched.

Watching NASCAR race in Miami right now. Its a great track with lots of room for passing and few wrecks.

We finally pulled our asphalt karts out of winter storage and went up to local track to shake off the winter rust. It got close to 60 degrees yesterday and was a great relief from the brutal cold we have endured for the last 6 weeks. Got to run 60 plus laps (60 minutes) and was running fast after a few runs despite limited grip on the track. Dropped several of the winter pounds I accumulated over the winter in that one day of karting practice. I burned the calories equivalent to a 10 mile run and it was fun as hell. I love karting. My battery has been recharged after long draining winter.

My brother and I had a bit of a breakthrough yesterday practicing at Wilmington Raceway Park. Prior to getting our new karts a year or so ago I was always a bit slower than my brother. When I got my current kart I started beating him consistently. His kart was a bit older and different so mid year he bought a newer one exactly like mine. This brought him closer but I was still a slight bit faster most of the time. The guy he bought his kart from was a bit shorter than my brother and this week he finally decided to move the seat back an inch or so to match his body size. The change tightened up the kart and instantly my brother was a bit faster than me with new kart setup. By the end of the day we had both beaten our previous track record lap times by a good bit. And the condition weren't optimal with 25-30 mph head and tail winds.

This gives up some needed confidence heading into the racing season. I had been kind of stuck being slightly faster than my brother and no "rabbit" faster driver in front of me. This makes you complacent and less likely to get better. Now I have someone to chase again.

If it has wheels, and races, I love it.

MotoGP at the moment is the best racing on the planet IMO. superfast, tight, close. Cannot get any better than that.
We have lost the live Nascar coverage and Indycar too, which is a shame, although with Scott MacLaughlan running with Penske in Indy car, us in Oz may get too see a bit more live Indycar action. MacLaughlan won the V8 Supercar titles the last 3 years, and is a super talent. I think he will go well in his rookie year.
V8 supercars, historic racing, WSBK, WRC, and everything pretty much in between.

Another practice session at Wilmington this past Sunday in optimal conditions. My brother had the fastest time on the track for the day and there were some good drivers at track. He smashed his best time by a full second and ran a 20 lap session that the duration was on par with track champion's best. I was 10 seconds behind while running my best times ever. New kart and setup is starting to click for my brother. Expect to see him on the podium several times this year.

2B8DB9D0-6A77-40E8-B27D-6DAF7CD65167.jpeg

We swept the podium at Motorsports Country Club of Cincinnati ProAm race on Saturday. Dog included.🐶

We were the only 2 In Masters class so the race was between us for 1st. I won the pre-final race but when I came off the track I failed tech due to modified carb. This put me at the back of the feature race (10th) in a combined class of 4 seniors, 4 juniors and 2 masters.

carrying 70 more pounds then the Juniors it was real hard to pass them. I made a few passes but could never catch up to my brother who started in 4th.

It was a great learning experience trying to utilize momentum to pass. Also learned a lot about the carbs we use. Glad I found out about cheater carb before it cost me a big race.

The guy that runs the place was gracious enough to let our track dog “Bud” share the podium with us since there wasn’t a 3rd racer in our class. Good times....

Back
Top Bottom