Motorsports | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Motorsports

IMG_1197.JPG

What a weekend at Buckeye Karting Challenge in Fremont, Ohio. My brother and I had never been to track before but we rocked it in a tough field of 15 karts. My kart was a rocket and finished 2nd to 4 time National Champion Doug Cook. I was the only one that gave him a challenge in the final. My brother was fighting bad back all weekend but managed to drive from 10th to 5th in final to make last trophy spot with me on podium. Something 2 old brothers will never forget. We also put ourselves in great position in the points race for state championship with one race left.

My brothers fortunate start. From 10th to 5th 2 turns into race. The guy in front of him made good skid and catch to get under the carnage and make it through.

About 6 weeks ago, we took our historic Nota Sportsman to Grafton in northern NSW for the 1st Annual Historic Hillclimb. 65 cars entered over 7 classes. The class that I was in was for cars built between 1955 to 1972. 19 cars in the class, and I finished 4th in class, and 15th outright. I hadn't raced at Grafton since 1989, or raced the car in 4 years, so I was pretty happy with the overall result.

The car is now road registered, and I will say its a great gadget on the road.

One of my best races ever. Somehow I qualified 6th out of 30 and got to run with the fast guys up front. Was in a pack of 10 karts nose to tail for win with 2 turns to go and then my luck ran out.
The good thing is it only cost me a tie rod and I learned I can hang with the fast guys. Just need to qualify better each week.

Just found out i got picked to be on the MotoGP virtual fan wall for Aragon. Looks like i'll be up early tomorrow to watch live!. Setting up all my MotoGP schwag for the camera (see, I knew that giant Rossi flag would prove useful!). Will try to slip some Dolphins stuff back there too!

fanwall.jpg

Just found out i got picked to be on the MotoGP virtual fan wall for Aragon. Looks like i'll be up early tomorrow to watch live!. Setting up all my MotoGP schwag for the camera (see, I knew that giant Rossi flag would prove useful!). Will try to slip some Dolphins stuff back there too!

View attachment 85250
Now that is cool. Love the Moto GP.

My brother obliterated the 53 kart. Just missed me by inches. 40 mph head on collision. The 53 kart was a brand new Arrow 4S ($3,000). It was junk after that hit.

Last edited:
Thats just pure bad luck
Inpatient move by the 53, I had pushed him to the bumper of the 4 kart in the few laps leading up to crash. Another lap or so and we would had have a better opportunity to get by in a better spot on track. The guy in the 53 regretted the move.

One of the reasons I video all my racing is that it gives you a chance to go back and review good moves and mistakes and learn from them. During the heat of a race the events get mixed up and a lot of the time what you think happened is totally different when you review the film. I never open my mouth about racing incidents until I review both of my cameras. Even then I just post video and let the racing community decide.

The crash video is one of the best learning videos that I have ever recorded.

Every driver made mistakes that culminated in the kart pileup. No one driver caused the incident.

53 made the ill advised pass thru tight section of track and didn't back out when he didn't have it.

4 made a good recovery from turn but probably should have lifted and let the 53 by in tight section of track. We were faster and there were still 4 laps left. Besides we were racing for 7th place in a grand prix start the next day so the risk wasn't worth the small position gain or loss. Then when he spun he sat in his kart raising his hands being dramatic instead of getting his kart moving from a dangerous place on track like I did. He paid the price for that.

My mistake was not realizing there was going to be a wreck. The pass has to be completed before the downhill. When that didn't happen I should have backed off. I probably could have made it through on the inside had I lifted early. In my mind I thought the 53 would have to lift and I was following the 4 hoping to make a pass on 53 in the next turn. Next time I back off.

75 was the next kart thru and he made it with no issues. We were off the track enough to leave a lane thru. The 75 never raised his hands to signal to drivers behind that there was a problems ahead.

5 was an inexperienced driver and panicked when he saw the karts facing him in the turn. You are supposed to skid the kart around and back into a wreck whenever possible but he had room to drive thru.

My brother didn't spin the kart around in sync with 5 kart and the result was a hard 40 mph hit on the stopped karts.

6 different non-professional drivers making mistakes that lead to a racing incident. Luckily no one was seriously hurt.

I bought a GoPro Max camera for my kart. Here’s my first 360 video. One camera to get any angle. Pretty cool. Unfortunately I ended my good run when I got into the back of the kart in front of me and took us both out of the competitive racing.

Back
Top Bottom