Mr. Grier, what have you done? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mr. Grier, what have you done?

I mean up to this point I agree with you with iggy and Jackson was bad last year. I would hold off on judging Jackson & Tua until after this year. Let’s see how they look in Mcdaniel’s scheme. Plus we nailed the Raekwon pick. He’s a beast and anchors one of the best lines in the league
I just think with so many picks we could have done more. Moved up a spot here and there to get our guys - I believe we wanted the RB the Colts took and we probably could have gotten him with a trade up. It felt like we just sat on our spots and hoped the guys we wanted would land in our laps and they didn’t. I also don’t know what the plan was - I get that it’s only a 6th round pick but to draft a LS is weird - as was taking a project at CB w a 1st rounder. I’m leaving Tua out because we were taking him or Herbert there. Davis is a good player - or seems he will continue to develop. Just not enough contribution IMO from the class overall (leaving Tua out)

I will grant that there were better options and many of us were clamoring for them. But if those guys work out--heck if 2 of them turn out to be long term high level starters--it will still be a good draft. Perfection is impossible. Minimizing busts and making sure every draft contributes meaningfully is possible. Grier has done well to give us extra chances that make good drafts into very good or great ones. And done the other things very well too.
Good take. I don’t know why we have so much trouble with OL in the draft though - that’s been the Achilles heel for quite some time now. Agree w the job done to get more swings at the plate - fair enough

Wow the 2022 draft class are all hits before even playing a preseason game. What happened to it takes 3 years to judge a draft class?

He should have done more homework on Justin Herbert.

Instead, we have to wait for the football cosmic forces to align so Tua can prove he's a franchise QB.

A professional gets that one right.

I just think with so many picks we could have done more. Moved up a spot here and there to get our guys - I believe we wanted the RB the Colts took and we probably could have gotten him with a trade up. It felt like we just sat on our spots and hoped the guys we wanted would land in our laps and they didn’t. I also don’t know what the plan was - I get that it’s only a 6th round pick but to draft a LS is weird - as was taking a project at CB w a 1st rounder. I’m leaving Tua out because we were taking him or Herbert there. Davis is a good player - or seems he will continue to develop. Just not enough contribution IMO from the class overall (leaving Tua out)
Yes taking Taylor would’ve been great but hindsight is 2020. Overall, we’ve done an amazing job drafting during the rebuild, as long as Tua works out. I’m not counting the 2022 draft because who knows yet. Just sucks that we lost the picks over some bs. I thought we could do some serious damage with all that ammo

He should have done more homework on Justin Herbert.

Instead, we have to wait for the football cosmic forces to align so Tua can prove he's a franchise QB.

A professional gets that one right.
Tua was the right pick at the time and he would’ve been the #1 pick if he didn’t get hurt. I think Tua will break out this year as the best qb in that class but he has to prove it.

Good take. I don’t know why we have so much trouble with OL in the draft though - that’s been the Achilles heel for quite some time now. Agree w the job done to get more swings at the plate - fair enough
Didn't we get more "swings at the plate" 2 years ago?
Who was calling the shots then, Flores?
Who was calling the shots that led to our fewer draft picks this year, Flores?

It's easy to over generalize and say it's the Dolphins fault historically.

Why not do some basic analysis and see where the problem actually is!
As you can see from above, the problem for the last 2 years was Flores.

When the Front Office was coupled to a coach who could analyze his player needs better, we did better in the draft, even with fewer high draft picks. This happened because our new HC coach really did know what he was asking for on the Offense and our existing Front Office made it happen via the draft and Free Agency.

We may even get some "unanticipated" benefit from players the fans have written off because our new coaching staff feels we can get more from them.

It seems to me we have a lot of reasons to be happy and little, if any, to be sad about because our new HC and his revamped and expanded coaching staff know what they are doing.

To put it bluntly, the only problem I see for our Offensive line is that they are going to develop a reputation for overpowering other teams' defenses. Wait a minute, that's an advantage, not a problem.

You guys were starting to get in my head, but I have recovered - LOL

Didn't we get more "swings at the plate" 2 years ago?
Who was calling the shots then, Flores?
Who was calling the shots that led to our fewer draft picks this year, Flores?

It's easy to over generalize and say it's the Dolphins fault historically.

Why not do some basic analysis and see where the problem actually is!
As you can see from above, the problem for the last 2 years was Flores.

When the Front Office was coupled to a coach who could analyze his player needs better, we did better in the draft, even with fewer high draft picks. This happened because our new HC coach really did know what he was asking for on the Offense and our existing Front Office made it happen via the draft and Free Agency.

We may even get some "unanticipated" benefit from players the fans have written off because our new coaching staff feels we can get more from them.

It seems to me we have a lot of reasons to be happy and little, if any, to be sad about because our new HC and his revamped and expanded coaching staff know what they are doing.

To put it bluntly, the only problem I see for our Offensive line is that they are going to develop a reputation for overpowering other teams' defenses. Wait a minute, that's an advantage, not a problem.

You guys were starting to get in my head, but I have recovered - LOL
It’s a very good point about the GM doing what the coach asks for - and I guess we don’t really know how the dynamic worked between Grier and Flores - it seemed like they were in lock step until for a bit. I could see how the Iggy pick was Flores as he couldn’t get enough DBs etc. This draft - and you have to include FA and the trades - is phenomenal in that McDaniel is trying to “stack” talent - that suggests to me that he gets it and understands todays game is about having more playmakers than the other team. I’m very optimistic for the season

I honestly don’t know if the issue has been the players we picked or our inability to coach them up. There’s an argument to be made both ways, but it drives me nuts when I see a guy who washed out here being a reliable contributor on another team down the road.

I don’t think you can even call anyone drafted 5th round or later a “miss”. Unless it’s a kicker or a punter. I do love it when those guys pleasantly surprise, though.
Zach Thomas was drafted in the 5th round!! I wonder if he's the best 5th rounder of all time. Put the guy in the HOF!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF already!!!!!!!! He rightfully belongs there.

So Mr. Grier, you went into this draft with a 3rd, 4th, and two 7th round picks.

So far, you picked up an athletic freak in Channing Tindall who should contribute immediately on Special Teams as well as certain sub packages designed to target and destroy the other team’s quarterback.

You and Wes Welker found a steal in the 4th round with Eric Ezukanma who knows how to get separation and possess great body control at the point of contact. Not to mention that he catches everything with his sticky hands, which is only bested by circumstances sticky hands after an afternoon of self- indulgence!

Skylar Thompson has played well enough to date that people on this site are entertaining the notion of trading Bridgewater for a future draft pick.

Throw in the emergence of a Braylon Sanders and a Tanner Conner as undrafted free agents and you see a team that is building the foundation of quality depth as well as competition on the practice field.

So far, not too shabby Mr. Grier.
Who brought us Jackson and Noah?

It's been argued and debated as to how much Grier is responsible for selecting the players, whom Miami drafts.

But one thing that can't be argued at the moment, is the positive momentum the franchise seems to have gained. Over the last few seasons, it appears, Miami has Hit Big on several players, they've drafted. Coupled with players who are making impacts and playing well in their roles; the team seems poised to start turning things around. The expectations are sky high amongst the fans, almost frenzied. I haven't seen that in quite some time.

Grier has to be given credit for the current situation, after all, he's the GM. A seemingly good one at that. Hopefully it continues.

Last edited:
So Mr. Grier, you went into this draft with a 3rd, 4th, and two 7th round picks.

So far, you picked up an athletic freak in Channing Tindall who should contribute immediately on Special Teams as well as certain sub packages designed to target and destroy the other team’s quarterback.

You and Wes Welker found a steal in the 4th round with Eric Ezukanma who knows how to get separation and possess great body control at the point of contact. Not to mention that he catches everything with his sticky hands, which is only bested by circumstances sticky hands after an afternoon of self- indulgence!

Skylar Thompson has played well enough to date that people on this site are entertaining the notion of trading Bridgewater for a future draft pick.

Throw in the emergence of a Braylon Sanders and a Tanner Conner as undrafted free agents and you see a team that is building the foundation of quality depth as well as competition on the practice field.

So far, not too shabby Mr. Grier.
Déjà vu all over again :-)

Back
Top Bottom