Mt. Rushmore | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums
I was wondering why no one said Bill Arnsparger. Then one smart member did list his name.

Don Shula Dan Marino zack Thomas bob griese. I left Taylor off only because he played for the jets, any other team he'd be on there also

You guys are taking the easy way out by putting our Owner in there. How about a Mt. Rushmore of only the players?

Griese , Csonka and Marino are easy = Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln. Who's the fourth? Who's our Teddy Roosevelt? We have 5 other players in the NFL Hall of Fame. How about including a tough guy in the trenches like tough guy Roosevelt. Maybe Larry Little? Dwight Stephenson?

What surprised me was it took 52 posts before someone even mentioned Dwight Stephenson
arguably the BEST center to ever play in the NFL...you should all be embarrassed

Marino and Shula are obvious choices. I don't know that Griese has to be there, since he was on a great defensive team with a great running game that had a perfect season when he was injured, but who else?

And then there's Csonka, who was pretty good, but still, not even truly a featured back and with limited career production. Zach and JT are only considered cause they played recently. In then years they'd make as much sense as Dwight Stephenson or John Offerdahl: a bit, but not that much. Clayton? Not when he wasn't even clearly the best WR in the team. Warfield, see Griese above. Larry Little, not sexy enough.

So it's got to be Csonka, I guess.

What surprised me was it took 52 posts before someone even mentioned Dwight Stephenson
arguably the BEST center to ever play in the NFL...you should all be embarrassed

Stephenson was great, and I'd agree he was the best ever center. But, we've got a lot of good players and team personnel from which to choose. I mean, who do you NOT include? On the players side I can't rank him ahead of the greatest ever QB Marino, or the greatest ever FB Csonka, can you? Knowing the story of how Joe Robbie created the team out of nothing on a shoe-string budget I can't fathom leaving him off. Shula retired as the winngest ever NFL coach, and really all of our fond memories were of his teams. Surely that deserves a spot?

Guys like Stephenson, Larry Little, Jim Langer, etc. suffer from being linemen, but when there's only 4 spots, you're definitely going to leave some members of the Hall of Fame off the list. We're not even discussing Paul Warfield. We've been lucky to have so many great players.

No offense to Jason Taylor, but I would have to exclude him in favor of Dwight Stephenson.

You have been saying some pretty stupid things lately, but this takes the cake by a wide margin.

Get ****ing REAL. Marino is the best player in the history of the game. Calling Marino a cupcake is grounds for a banning. Why dont you just stay off the interwebz and go hang around the shuffleboard courts with the rest of your crowd and talk about how great everything was in the 70s man.

I thought that I was the only one that noticed this.

shula
marino
csonka
robbie

great owner, best coach, greatest passer, and a mudder!!!

I loved Marino...but you can't put the hall of fame QB who didn't win a Championship over the one who won 2.

In my mind Don Shula and Larry Czonka are the face of the Miami Dolphins. QB being the most important position in football I would then include the two hall of famers in Dolphin history Griese and Marino.

Shula
Csonka
Griese
Marino

I totally get that Joe Robbie deserves alot of respect but I can't place him above those 4. Many younger fans don't realize that Shula had little use for Joe Robbie and it was rumored even decked him one time.

Another major unsung person in Dolphin history and somebody the younger era isn't even aware of in most cases is Joe Thomas, who was extremely successful and instrumental in assembling the talent of the great Dolphin teams of the 70's.

In fact, as great as Shula was as a Coach, it was the loss of Thomas and Shula's own shortfalls in talent evaluation that in my opinion resulted in Dan Marino not getting a ring.

Just my opinion, but backed up pretty strongly by the facts.

I loved Marino...but you can't put the hall of fame QB who didn't win a Championship over the one who won 2.

Would you still insist that Griese won 2 championships considering the team went undefeated while he as injured? Obviously he has the rings, but what you seem to mean is that he was instrumental in winning them. I disagree. In the 70s it was all about defense and running the ball, and that's how the Dolphins won those rings.

You really need 5. Extremely difficult to leave out anyone among Robbie, Shula, Csonka, Griese and Marino. Everybody else is a clear notch below, unless you use the Undefeated Season, as already nominated.

I'm amazed so many posters are content to leave out Griese. He was the dependable rock for more than a decade. Our image was smarter and more resourceful than everyone else, and the centerpiece was Griese. Until he replaced Morrall in that '72 AFC Championship Game, I was watching silently, fully expecting to lose. Morrall had lost it against Cleveland a week earlier, other than one 4th quarter launch to Warfield. Morrall had hit a wall. Luckily for the history and legend of our franchise, Shula recognized it in time.

What the heck. I'm never been hesitant to voice it previously. Marino after the San Diego game in late '84 was responsible for the most disgusting football in our franchise's history. Absolutely sickening, other than the opportunity to isolate games to confidently bet against. Pantyhose passing team in an age of fortified NFC brutes. Disgraceful displays like 8 rushing attempts in that '94 loss at San Diego, despite leading the entire game, often by wide margin.

I can't reward a cupcake like Marino with a spot on that wall. Put him in that hidden Mount Rushmore chamber, whatever it is. Some type of obscure hall of records. That's Marino, nothing but records, many of them long gone.

I caught the 94 playoff game vs SD on NFL Network a little while ago and couldn't help but think how Shula and Marnio would and should have been lambasted on Finheaven (if it existed) for the late game managment. It waw Wanny/Fiedler esque....Disgusting! We had no business losing that game.

Ted Ginn
Cam Cameron
Eddie Moore
Jason Allen

What no John Beck, Pat White, Daunte, Tony S, Bill P, or Dan Henning?

My version of the Phins Mt Rushmore; Marino, Thomas, Shula, & Richmond Webb

Others I thought about... Clayton, Duper, Bruce Hardy, D Stephenson, & Jim Jensen

Would you still insist that Griese won 2 championships considering the team went undefeated while he as injured? Obviously he has the rings, but what you seem to mean is that he was instrumental in winning them. I disagree. In the 70s it was all about defense and running the ball, and that's how the Dolphins won those rings.
It may seem that way to you, but you obviously did not watch the AFC Championship game in three rivers against Terry Bradshaw and the steel curtain...a game Miami was losing at half time with Earl Morrall, a game that should not have been on the road whe your undefeated...but Bob Griese led a 2nd half victory and on to 1st Superbowl win for Miami.

He came back the next year and took them all the way again.

Griese was a 6 time pro bowler...NFL MVP(JIM THORPE TROPHY) 1971 and Bert Bell Player of the year (1977).

Why so many Dolphins not old enough to appreciate him want to diminish him is beyond me?

He played in an era where DB's could mug the receivers so running was more prevalent, but he called all his plays (unlike most QB's of the future) and was respected by all his peers.

Back
Top Bottom