My 2 Cents on which running back is best! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My 2 Cents on which running back is best!

tay0365 said:
No, some have said Brown might have the best hands of anyone in the draft (Including WR, TE, DB), and let us not forget, that Browns got those receiving numbers at a part time position. Also, even though Benson is a more powerful runner, he is not close to as fast as Brown can be, and finally he is nowhere in the same league, when it comes to blocking (Something we will need from our RB).

All valid points, and I would be happy with Brown, but I am still rooting for Benson, and I think in the LONG run he will be the better back. A lot of emphasis is on his hands, yet he is a RUNNING BACK, the emphasis should be on his running first and hands second, or third. Even if I TRY to convince myself Brown is the better choice there is that nagging though it my head that he had injuries in college SPLITTING time with Williams and in a shorter season and lower level of play than the NFL. I guess THAT is my biggest concern with Brown and might be what is keeping me from wanting him over Benson (my Texas Longhorns fanatisism (is that a word?) prolly doesn't help much either), but I just feel more secure in taking a back, especially that high, that has PROVEN he can finish plays, drves, games, seasons, and so on without breaking down.

finsnchips said:
Ronnie Brown will get the most yards after contact.

Cadillac is the hardest to tackle.

So, do you want Benson who IMO is a poor mans version of both rolled together. Im not cussing Benson but if he was both Ronnie and Cadillac rolled into one he'd be better than L.T.

How do you say Brown will get the most after contact and williams is hardest to tackle? More than HALF of Bensons yards in his Texas career were after contact yards and I think he has the most power running style of the three. I think Brown will throw down more jukes and make more people miss than Benson, but I don't think he will get the most YAC

Injuries?

Agent51 said:
All valid points, and I would be happy with Brown, but I am still rooting for Benson, and I think in the LONG run he will be the better back. A lot of emphasis is on his hands, yet he is a RUNNING BACK, the emphasis should be on his running first and hands second, or third. Even if I TRY to convince myself Brown is the better choice there is that nagging though it my head that he had injuries in college SPLITTING time with Williams and in a shorter season and lower level of play than the NFL. I guess THAT is my biggest concern with Brown and might be what is keeping me from wanting him over Benson (my Texas Longhorns fanatisism (is that a word?) prolly doesn't help much either), but I just feel more secure in taking a back, especially that high, that has PROVEN he can finish plays, drves, games, seasons, and so on without breaking down.

Brown missed 1 game in '02 with an ankle sprain and a couple games his jr year with a pulled hammy. That's it. Other than that he had no problems other than the normal bumps and bruises. When Carnell went down midway through the '02 season Ronnie took over and dominated, rushing for over 1,000 yards and double digit TDs.

The top 3 RB's are great, I would be happy with any of them. Of course I would want Brown more since he could be split out wide to run routes. They are all good though, so I would be happy with any of the 3.

too bad there is all this QB talk now, which SUCKS. I want running back in round 1, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. ESPECIALLY if we get that round 2 pick, then there is like 4 or 5 QBs we could take there, three of which have "franchise" potential

That I can agree with, I don't feel these QB's are worth the #2. We will find out on the 23rd what Saban has in mind.

Agent51 said:
I beg to differ:

Brown:
40 times: 4.48 and 4.51 on ASTROTURF at his "excellent" Combine workout

Benson:
40 times: 4.51 and 4.54 on GRASS at his "bad performance" Pro Day

So Benson was almost even with Brown and Brown had the better surface to run on AND he had a great workout while Benson had a bad workout. Put Benso on Astroturf on a good day and I bet he matches or beats Brown's 40

AND.........

Brown:
Career Receiving: 58 catches, 668yds, 2 TDs

Benson:
Career Receiving: 69 catches, 621yds, 3 TDs

Pretty even there too, so now you take it to rushing and Benson TOALLY edges out Brown, in yds, TDs, Yds after contact, power............

I wouldn't get too carried away with the stats. Remember the Benson got many many more carries than Brown, so he'd naturally have more yards, TDs and so on. So it seems like even though Benson had more catches, Brown was thrown to more often.
Instead, I'd stick with the stats that account for the discrepancy in carries, like rushing average, yds after contact and so on. It would be interesting to see how they compare in this regard.

Pocoloco said:
I wouldn't get too carried away with the stats. Remember the Benson got many many more carries than Brown, so he'd naturally have more yards, TDs and so on. So it seems like even though Benson had more catches, Brown was thrown to more often.
Instead, I'd stick with the stats that account for the discrepancy in carries, like rushing average, yds after contact and so on. It would be interesting to see how they compare in this regard.

well the same thing would apply then, because Brown's averages SHOULD be higher since he only carried like 13-15 times a game, whereas Benson got 25-30 touches. The less you carry the less fatigued you are and less lower ydg runs you rip, thus meaning your totals will be higher. since they didn't have close to the same roles as running backs in college, Brown splitting the time and Benson being the feature back, I don't think we can accurately compare them on paper in the YDs and AVGs categories. Also, Benson didn't play in a system where the back was used for receiving often like Brown did, so that would hurt the comparison in tha area. I think the best way to judge the two is watch their highlight tapes, which I have done, and both are amazing, very close talent-wise.

EDIT: as far a the YAC though, 54% of Benson's 6,161 career yds came AFTER first contact, so that say a bunch right there

Ronnie Brown may have the faster 40 time, but Cedric Benson has got major game-time speed, which is a big difference. Cedric Benson has done nothing but produce for four solid years out in Texas. Get over the Ricky comparison's people!!! Cedric Benson is the best back in the draft!!!!

Agent51 said:
too bad there is all this QB talk now, which SUCKS. I want running back in round 1, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. ESPECIALLY if we get that round 2 pick, then there is like 4 or 5 QBs we could take there, three of which have "franchise" potential

If that were true then this would be one of the best QB drafts in NFL history. LOL

I think cedric benson is good because he seems to be like ricky and i liked very much "go benson"

I love the people who put up Benson and Browns numbers but leave out Caddy's. Quite frankly, I think their scared. :D

NorthFloridaFin said:
Ronnie Brown may have the faster 40 time, but Cedric Benson has got major game-time speed, which is a big difference. Cedric Benson has done nothing but produce for four solid years out in Texas. Get over the Ricky comparison's people!!! Cedric Benson is the best back in the draft!!!!

I welcome the new term "major game-time speed" to you all. Oh my goodness.

Saban2005 said:
I listened to what Saban has said and I have listened to alot of fans on this board. Basically, Saban has clearly said he has changed the way Miami rates players. He looks for certain things by position <-- very important. So I say to myself what would I want in a running back? Personally without a doubt the single most important thing in a running back is who is the toughest to tackle. In other words, who gets the most yards after contact?... its that simple.

Which running back is that?

Come on, you have to be more opinionated than that ?? Who do you think is that guy ?? LOLOLOL

Back
Top Bottom