My 2 Cents on which running back is best! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My 2 Cents on which running back is best!

NorthFloridaFin said:
Ronnie Brown may have the faster 40 time, but Cedric Benson has got major game-time speed, which is a big difference. Cedric Benson has done nothing but produce for four solid years out in Texas. Get over the Ricky comparison's people!!! Cedric Benson is the best back in the draft!!!!

Perhaps in Norv Turners offense, Benson is the best back, but NOT in Linehan's system...Brown and Caddy offer more in his offensive system than Benson does....He has not proven to be any kind of a reciever out of the backfield and cannot block worth a lick (these deficiencies in his game may be a product of the system he played in since they didn't ask him to do those things, or may be an actual weakness in his game, I don't really know). I actually think Benson will make people forget all about RW (if they haven't already) wherever he lands, but he is not the best fit in our new offensive system of the top 3 backs.

LarryFinFan said:
Perhaps in Norv Turners offense, Benson is the best back, but NOT in Linehan's system...Brown and Caddy offer more in his offensive system than Benson does....He has not proven to be any kind of a reciever out of the backfield and cannot block worth a lick (these deficiencies in his game may be a product of the system he played in since they didn't ask him to do those things, or may be an actual weakness in his game, I don't really know). I actually think Benson will make people forget all about RW (if they haven't already) wherever he lands, but he is not the best fit in our new offensive system of the top 3 backs.

If Mewelde Moore can make it in this system, I don't want any of the three, however, Rodgers or Smith would be a good fit. Living in South Dakota, I see a ton of Vikings games. We would use the pass to setup the run. In this offense we don't want to pay top dollar for a back. We may even have one on the roster once Houck is done with the line. BUT we do need either another WR or franchise QB.

What I would really like to see is us trade down several times and pick up Williamson from SC in the middle of the round.

Then get McPherson with the extra picks. We avoid screwing our salary cap by paying any of these three.

That said, I would want Caddy, especially if Ricky comes back.

Agent51 said:
I beg to differ:

Brown:
40 times: 4.48 and 4.51 on ASTROTURF at his "excellent" Combine workout

Benson:
40 times: 4.51 and 4.54 on GRASS at his "bad performance" Pro Day

So Benson was almost even with Brown and Brown had the better surface to run on AND he had a great workout while Benson had a bad workout. Put Benso on Astroturf on a good day and I bet he matches or beats Brown's 40

AND.........

Brown:
Career Receiving: 58 catches, 668yds, 2 TDs

Benson:
Career Receiving: 69 catches, 621yds, 3 TDs

Pretty even there too, so now you take it to rushing and Benson TOALLY edges out Brown, in yds, TDs, Yds after contact, power............

Your reciaving numbers mean nothing they split time in Auburn. He would have twice the amount of catches had he been the every down back.

Agent51 said:
All valid points, and I would be happy with Brown, but I am still rooting for Benson, and I think in the LONG run he will be the better back. A lot of emphasis is on his hands, yet he is a RUNNING BACK, the emphasis should be on his running first and hands second, or third. Even if I TRY to convince myself Brown is the better choice there is that nagging though it my head that he had injuries in college SPLITTING time with Williams and in a shorter season and lower level of play than the NFL. I guess THAT is my biggest concern with Brown and might be what is keeping me from wanting him over Benson (my Texas Longhorns fanatisism (is that a word?) prolly doesn't help much either), but I just feel more secure in taking a back, especially that high, that has PROVEN he can finish plays, drves, games, seasons, and so on without breaking down.

And that is not accurate at all. Ronnie Brown had an ankle injury during his true freshman season that allowed him to gain a redshirt year. Outside of that, he missed maybe two games in four years after that season. In his sophomore season, he took over for an injured Cadillac Williams and ran for over 1,000 yards in 7 games.

When looking at a running back, the emphasis should be placed on the ability to play on everydown. This takes into account the completeness of a runner.

Agent51 said:
too bad there is all this QB talk now, which SUCKS. I want running back in round 1, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. ESPECIALLY if we get that round 2 pick, then there is like 4 or 5 QBs we could take there, three of which have "franchise" potential

If those quarterbacks had franchise potential, they would be first round picks.

Back
Top Bottom