My Absurdly Early Dream Draft Scenario | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Absurdly Early Dream Draft Scenario

Blitz said:
Trading up for a top-tier prospect is always a costly gamble, but it has paid off handsomely for the Giants with Eli Manning and the Falcons with Mike Vick...

mmmmmm... I'd say the Chargers got the better end of both of those deals. Maybe not with Eli... but we haven't seen Rivers take a snap yet.

gunhaver said:
leinart is 10 times the QB cutler is. i don't really care how much it costs to get him

leinart is an accurate QB with below NFL level arm strength you want to see a guy kind of like him look at alex smith last years #1 pick, even though I think leinart is better than smith, I doubt he will ever be a franchise QB

1stDownRBrown said:
mmmmmm... I'd say the Chargers got the better end of both of those deals. Maybe not with Eli... but we haven't seen Rivers take a snap yet.

+1

SpeedRush99 said:

does that mean you agree with me? what does +1 mean in relation to my post? LOL.. :confused:

We consistently traded down back when JJ was our coach...

JJ isnt our coach anymore. Do we really want to discuss how well JJ drafted? :lol: Look over all the old drafts and trading down isnt something teams generally do, let alone 3-4 times.

Trading up for a top-tier prospect is always a costly gamble, but it has paid off handsomely for the Giants with Eli Manning and the Falcons with Mike Vick..

Eh I dunno about that. SD got the much better end of that Vick deal.

How has it paid off for Eli? He has yet to win a playoff game. Its too early to tell plus Rivers hasnt taken a snap in the NFL. We wont know about that one for a few years.

1stDownRBrown said:
does that mean you agree with me? what does +1 mean in relation to my post? LOL.. :confused:

Yes, I absolutely agree.

Philter25 said:
JJ isnt our coach anymore. Do we really want to discuss how well JJ drafted? :lol:

Overall, JJ did a great job drafting defense, but yeah, he wasn't so hot when it came to the other side of the ball...

Look over all the old drafts and trading down isnt something teams generally do, let alone 3-4 times.

It can happen. I think with Saban it'd make sense to trade down as often as possible. He's more likely to find gems than a coach who hasn't been at the college level over the last three or four years...

Eh I dunno about that. SD got the much better end of that Vick deal.

Atlanta needed to get a franchise QB, though. Atlanta probably wouldn't be where they are today if they had not pulled off that trade.

How has it paid off for Eli? He has yet to win a playoff game.

Would the Giants be leading the NFC East without Eli Manning? Again, the Giants also needed to get a franchise QB. We're in the same category as the Giants in '04 and the Falcons in '01. It's not a matter of getting the better end of the deal, but of getting the franchise QB you desperately need.

Blitz said:
Atlanta needed to get a franchise QB, though. Atlanta probably wouldn't be where they are today if they had not pulled off that trade.

Right, they'd be MUCH better with Schuab as the starter and LT in the backfield.

Overall, JJ did a great job drafting defense, but yeah, he wasn't so hot when it came to the other side of the ball...
:yes:

It can happen. I think with Saban it'd make sense to trade down as often as possible. He's more likely to find gems than a coach who hasn't been at the college level over the last three or four years...
I agree. It does make sense and it benefits us greatly. However my point was how realistic is it really to think it WILL happen? Its not just about our coach, but what other coaches will do. Like I said before, it takes 2 teams to trade down. History has shown that the chances of multiple trade downs are next to impossible to do because teams are always on different pages when it comes to draft pick value. When you make a trade in the draft, you want to be the team that gets the better value. When BOTH teams want to get the better end of the deal, the chances that they both agree on the correct compensation is slim to none considering the time they have to reach a deal on the draft pick.

Its a great idea conceptually, but realistically its next to impossible to pull off. Usually the major draft day trade downs are planned and talked about beforehand.

What has the trade really brought to Atlanta? A superbowl appearance? Where are they now, 7-5 and out of the playoffs? Personally, I think Matt Schaub is a much better pure passer than Vick. I think Atlanta would be 7-5 with Schaub as a QB and another stud player which they could have gotten.(aka tomlinson). Not to mention all the salary cap space they would free up by not having Vick.

Would the Giants be leading the NFC East without Eli Manning? Again, the Giants also needed to get a franchise QB. We're in the same category as the Giants in '04 and the Falcons in '01. It's not a matter of getting the better end of the deal, but of getting the franchise QB you desperately need
Well with the Eagles losing 11 starters this year, the Giants very well could be in first place without Eli. At least we both agree that they didnt get the better end of the deal. If the Giants make the superbowl, then I will agree that the trade was a good trade to get a franchise QB.

SpeedRush99 said:
Right, they'd be MUCH better with Schuab as the starter and LT in the backfield.

damn you speedrush. I had to type out a long response. :yes:

The way Jay Cutler is moving up in the draft i dought he will be there in the 2nd rd. I say trade down to the bottom of the 1st rd and pick him up there.

it's going to be either cutler or jacobs that skyrockets into the top 15, as i've said all along. looking like it'll be cutler

Back
Top Bottom