My advice to Chad Henne | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My advice to Chad Henne

FinHopeful

Starter
Reaction score
We all know that Chad Henne will be on the roster in 2011, and I am sure everyone on this board would like to see Chad improve his game. A fun and interesting exercise is what serious evaluation would you give Chad Henne. Further, what constructive advice would you give him. Here is my take at this topic.

Improvements from 2010
  • There would fewer incompletions this year caused by bullet passes.
  • More passes were completed on swing passes and touch oriented passes to the running backs.
Areas with little or no improvement
  • Completion percentage
  • Pushing the ball down the field
  • Accuracy on the deep throw
  • Picking up the blitz and setting protections
  • Reading the defense to determine the best chance of success
  • Communication and familiarity with receivers during the play
Areas of Regression
  • Decision making was worse this season, and it led to more interceptions
  • Locking in on receivers and other tells
  • Keeping his eyes down field while avoiding sacks
  • Footwork
  • Point of release
Suggestions for Focused Practice for Improvement
  1. Significantly improve your accuracy on the deep ball. Your deep ball accuracy might just be the worst in the league. Just being accurately locating the ball to throw the receiver open 40% of the time would lead to another 500 yards to your total.
  2. 5 hours a day of film study focused almost entirely on presnap reads related to setting protection schemes.

To be honest, Henne is still a monster at killing the blitz. The problem became when Murtha was his RT and he had no C along with wideouts that didn't get open for the hot read on the blitz. Have you seen the past 2 years what Henne does to the blitz when he had Carey, Grove/Berger and all his wideouts in the game? He demolishes the blitz.

What I would tell Henne is to get back that swagger he had in college. The swagger where he thought he could make ANY freaking throw on the field. It didn't matter if Mario Manningham or Adrian Arrington were triple covered, he knew he could make that throw and he DID much of the time. He needs to get that assh0le mentality and vibe back. He needs to keep rocketing the ball down the field with those lasers. Needs to step into his throws and not turn into a David Lee spawn who throws the ball with finesse and softness.

A full analysis would take me quite some time, but thats the gist of it.

To be honest, Henne is still a monster at killing the blitz. The problem became when Murtha was his RT and he had no C along with wideouts that didn't get open for the hot read on the blitz. Have you seen the past 2 years what Henne does to the blitz when he had Carey, Grove/Berger and all his wideouts in the game? He demolishes the blitz.

What I would tell Henne is to get back that swagger he had in college. The swagger where he thought he could make ANY freaking throw on the field. It didn't matter if Mario Manningham or Adrian Arrington were triple covered, he knew he could make that throw and he DID much of the time. He needs to get that assh0le mentality and vibe back. He needs to keep rocketing the ball down the field with those lasers. Needs to step into his throws and not turn into a David Lee spawn who throws the ball with finesse and softness.

A full analysis would take me quite some time, but thats the gist of it.

that swagger you speak of, is dead.

Back
Top Bottom