My analysis on QB situation... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My analysis on QB situation...

Reaction score
It scares me. It really does. Two bad decisions and we may now be in doom for another 3-4 years.

First off Culpepper. It seems as though what every C-Pep hater had said about him from the day he lost Moss in Minnesota was right, hes just not a good QB without him. I, at first, was too a C-Pep supporter. Blindly supporting him having no idea what to expect from him, not believing the doubters. But then, 3 games into the season, I realized that we had made the wrong decision at QB. This thought scared me on that day and echos through my ears everytime I see Brees throwing the ball or Harrington staring on an NFL football team.

Look at Brees. The man is about to set the single season passing mark, passing Marino. How amazing would that feat seem if it were in a Miami Dolphin uniform? Little do many people around the NFL realize how close that was to actually happening. What did our medical staff say you ask? His arm wasent going to allow him to be ready for the regular season, and, he is more of a liability than C-Pep would be. So we all, including me, bit our tounges and hoped and prayed that our trained medical staff was right. Well, Brees has thrown for 4,240 yards, 25 TD's and 11 INT's while completing 65.6% of his passes for a 98.9 QB rating and still two games left in the season. Culpepper? 929 yards, 2TD's and 3INTs's completing 60.4% of his passes with a whopping 77.0 QB rating. Now you tell me, who is more of a liability? Culpepper or Brees? Its safe to say that our medical staff was miles away from even coming close to coming up with anything that was right in this scenario.

Harrington. Not much to say here. He'll have his good 3TD or 4TD games, but there always seems to be those traling 2INT's or 3INT's in his stats every week. The man cannot have a game without a pick. Whats the golden rule in football? You cannot win games if you turn the football over. Thus comes Harringtons horrible winning percentage. He is not the future of this organization, dont let him fool you. Detroit did. Take a quick peek at that franchise now. Demoralized.

We move on to Cleo Lemon. An unproven, unknown QB from majestic Arkansas State. Is he the answer to all of the Dolphin woes since the retirment of Marino?

Last option, give C-Pep on more shot. However, if this dosent work it will leave alot of Dolphin fans sitting back and saying "Here we go again".

What if C-Pep comes back next year and is decent? What if Miami wins 10 games and makes the playoffs?

I know if the Queen had you know what she'd be king, but why couldn't it happen?

The QB Situation

I have to agree with you about D.C. When free agency started I was really hoping to get Brees. He was able to do alot more with regular recievers that Dante did. All of Dante's stats were with Moss as a reciever. I have heard some people say that if Dante ever gets better he can have the same success with Chambers that he had with Moss. Unfortunately I don't buy it. Not taking anything away from Chambers but he is not at Moss's level.

I do remember though and everyone keeps forgeting this...Brees chose the Saints. He was asking for alot of money and taking into account his questionable shoulder after the surgery I would not have given him everything he was asking unless there was an escape clause in the contract which I am sure he would not go for.

Is it possible that we could stop talking about how we wish we got Brees instead of Dante. Dante is our QB and lets all hope and pray that the rest of his rehab goes better than his recovery from the operation and start looking forward to next year!!!!

I'll say this:

We have a decent backup in Harrington who may improve and we have C-Pep who is X-factor.

I don't see how we're in bad shape.I think Harrington still has alot of room to grow.I see alot of positives in him. We also have X-Factor in Culpepper who will be the starting QB if he is able to get back to his old form.

I think the bigger issue is not QB position but offensive cordinator. I'm a firm believer in playcalling being such a big part of the game. This is the are the FINS MUST UPGRADE!!!

It scares me. It really does. Two bad decisions and we may now be in doom for another 3-4 years.

First off Culpepper. It seems as though what every C-Pep hater had said about him from the day he lost Moss in Minnesota was right, hes just not a good QB without him. I, at first, was too a C-Pep supporter. Blindly supporting him having no idea what to expect from him, not believing the doubters. But then, 3 games into the season, I realized that we had made the wrong decision at QB. This thought scared me on that day and echos through my ears everytime I see Brees throwing the ball or Harrington staring on an NFL football team.

Look at Brees. The man is about to set the single season passing mark, passing Marino. How amazing would that feat seem if it were in a Miami Dolphin uniform? Little do many people around the NFL realize how close that was to actually happening. What did our medical staff say you ask? His arm wasent going to allow him to be ready for the regular season, and, he is more of a liability than C-Pep would be. So we all, including me, bit our tounges and hoped and prayed that our trained medical staff was right. Well, Brees has thrown for 4,240 yards, 25 TD's and 11 INT's while completing 65.6% of his passes for a 98.9 QB rating and still two games left in the season. Culpepper? 929 yards, 2TD's and 3INTs's completing 60.4% of his passes with a whopping 77.0 QB rating. Now you tell me, who is more of a liability? Culpepper or Brees? Its safe to say that our medical staff was miles away from even coming close to coming up with anything that was right in this scenario.

Harrington. Not much to say here. He'll have his good 3TD or 4TD games, but there always seems to be those traling 2INT's or 3INT's in his stats every week. The man cannot have a game without a pick. Whats the golden rule in football? You cannot win games if you turn the football over. Thus comes Harringtons horrible winning percentage. He is not the future of this organization, dont let him fool you. Detroit did. Take a quick peek at that franchise now. Demoralized.

We move on to Cleo Lemon. An unproven, unknown QB from majestic Arkansas State. Is he the answer to all of the Dolphin woes since the retirment of Marino?

Last option, give C-Pep on more shot. However, if this dosent work it will leave alot of Dolphin fans sitting back and saying "Here we go again".

so after three games we made the wrong decision at qb, get off of the brees bandwagon, with our o-line and offense brees would not have the same numbers 2# Brees wanted to much cash he wanted over 60 mil with 20 mil guaranteed we where not doing that coming off a bum shoulder that why other teams passed, plus have you forgotten we are cashed strapped with the salary cap as well, c-pep busted his *** to start the season, his players love him for it, not for fin fans on this site, if he was healthy i could see your comments about him being the wrong qb, atleast you say give him one more shot, but a healthy c-pep is a better option than joey

Drew or Pepper?

Destiny it seems was that Brees would never be a Dolphin. First as a reminder in the 2001 Draft where our wonderful wanny picked Jamar Fletcher with our 20 something pick (23 or 26 I forget) but the Bolts got Drew at 32. That preseason San Diego played us and when Drew was a flat out rookie, and they put him in somewhere in the 2nd half, he tore us up (Big Time!!) I knew that day he was the real deal. He had pocket presence. No doubt, didn't have a rifle arm but was extremely accurate, and threw the ball to the correct reads. To make Dolphin matters worse. Do you realize that we gave up a pick to get rid of Jamar & Feely to get Cleo? Then we get a chance at him again (although potentially damaged goods) And although I didn't want C-pep for various reason I could understand the Dolphins reluctance on Drew. Let's face it do you remember that followed the season that our beloved Jets' Pennington didn't recover from the same surgery.
Now to C-Pep, First for all those who say he needs Moss, do you remember when he played at UCF? he tore it up there without Moss. I went to camp a few times and there's no doubt he has the best and most accurate arm (That means he can gun it when neccessary, throw a long arched well timed throw that receivers can run under, and throw a ball with touch and not through a back who is only three yards away.) His main problem is he wants to make the long play so he'll hold it for too long. That's what gets him into trouble. He is the anti-Harrington. Joey decides too quickly, Daunte not quick enough. That is why he needs his mobility back. I wish Coach Sabin were Dr. Frankenstein. So he could put the faster mind of Joey, into the better armed Daunte. But we are where we are. Lets hope for a good draft. Let's hope Rod Wright healthy will turn heads next spring. Lets hope Jason learns the safety position. Let's hope our DB's will learn to adjust to wounded ducks fluttering over their heads. And let's hope C-pep regains his mobilty so he can run around enough to allow Chambers to loose his double teams and get a ball to him.

In fairness to Culpepper, Brees has a head coach who was an offensive coordinator and actually calls the plays as well.

Brees really landed in the ideal situation. He got lucky, if he signed with us he would have to deal with Chris Chambers & Mike Malaurkey.

Who both blow...

Culpepper was a make or break trade. He broke you.

Now the question is whether he'll become the first NFLer ever to come back from triple ligament surgery. I have no idea what the answer to that question is. I do know that an immobile Duante Culpepper is never going to be a plus on an NFL team though.

First off Culpepper. It seems as though what every C-Pep hater had said about him from the day he lost Moss in Minnesota was right, hes just not a good QB without him. I, at first, was too a C-Pep supporter.

I stopped reading here, it's already been said 1000 times, Culpeppers' best season was a season mostly played without Moss on the field. Culpeppers 2005 season started out bad, but before his injury he had started to turn things around. Here in Miami Culpepper was throwing the ball well he just couldn't move in the pocket. Culpepper will be fine.

Forget abour brees. If you are talking about the fins QB situation, he simply does not exist.

Culpepper is the starting QB. Harrington is not. Harrington showed that he can do a few things this year, but also that he will lose you games. harrington is a good backup, but not a starter.

Lemon did ok in the few possessions he got this season. Since the fins have been eliminated from the playoffs, i think Lemon should be given 2 games to show what he can do, and what better defense to go up agenst than the jets. lemon will basically have 2 starts to prove he is better than harrington. Winning or losing the game doesnt matter at this point. how lemon throws and reads defenses is everything. if he makes accurate passes to the correct recievers based on the other teams defense, then he will take harringtons spot as the #2 QB next season.

the fins have to much invested in culpepper to just drop him. they did that to their last qb, they cant do it again. they have to see this one through.

the fins have tricked the fin fans into thinking culpeppers poor play was due to him playing before he was fully healed. (im still wondering why there isnt a huge outcry to fire someone for putting him in if he wasnt "healthy"). because of this, some still think he can return to what he used to be a few years back. ok. he will be slated as the #1 QB, and if he is "healthy" (IMO, meaning he can actually stand in the pocket and make a throw without having a panic attack :shakeno: ), then he will start.

Best case, Culpepper makes some good plays and starts all of next season.
Worst case, Culpepper doesnt return to what he was, and is benched (because he still isnt fully healed... o the lies continue...), and either harrington or lemon will start in his place next year.

It speaks volumes that fans of our division opponents keep encouraging us to stick with Culpepper...

Our best option at quarterback for 2007 isn't on the roster yet. God willing, after April 28th, he will be.

Culpepper getting healthy is the best thing any Phin fan can hope for. If this team is going to win now, you like to take your chances with a proven QB. Anyone can say whatever they want about Culpepper in 2005 or his four games (while injured) in 2006, the fact of the matter is the guy has made plays in this league. We can take any QB we want in the draft, and this team would suffer a losing season with him at QB right off the bat. Here's to hoping the Culpepper regains at least 70% of his mobility.

It speaks volumes that fans of our division opponents keep encouraging us to stick with Culpepper...

Our best option at quarterback for 2007 isn't on the roster yet. God willing, after April 28th, he will be.
dont get me wrong. I would LOVE to see the bills play agenst Harrington twice next year. But i dont come here to trash talk or anything like that.

I gave my honest opinion of what the fins should do at QB, and i believe i am right.

It makes absolutly no sence for the fins to draft a QB in the 1st round in the 2007 draft. the fins have spent 2 high draft picks on QBs the past 2 seasons and have already used a draft 2007 pick on a QB. additionally, the only way the fins will be able to pick a good QB in the 1st round is if they trade up which is just throwing away even more draft picks (Detroit, Raiders, and Browns will all be fighting for QBs and have very poor records). give culpepper 1-2 more seasons, then you will know for sure what you have and can make a real decision about it.

The Pep over Brees decision may ultimately cost Saban his job in Miami. He chose Pep because of Dr's opinions, and guess what? We signed him to 2013 and will take a cap hit to let him go.
New Orleans on the other hand took Brees and signed him to a front loaded contract that, if his shoulder blew, they could cut him after one year with no pain. Brilliant.
If the Fins do that they still have Harrington as a backup with a KNOWN commodity starting at QB. Not some friggen 'X' factor in Pep.
So what has been displayed by our organization since the end of last season is a general lack of ingenuity at many levels. Saban throws around cliche's to try and divert peoples attentions from the facts. The fact is the fins screwed them selves, and mainly us fans, big time by choosing Pep over Brees.
No worries though, because Saban isn't upset about it.:tantrum:

First off, hindsight is 20/20. I wanted Brees more than C-Pep. I was disapointed when we got C-Pep instead of Brees - but I was still excited because I thought he was the second best option out there. Based on medical reports - he seemed the right pick. Whatever, I'm not a doctor, so I'm not going to criticize.

Secondly, it's apparent C-Pep wasn't ready to play from day one and that's what really affected his play. He had worse mobility than Danny Boy in '99 - except for one thing: he is used to having tremendous mobility and he didn't know what to do.

All I'm saying is - let's see what happens next year before passing judgement. That said, I see your point sort of. We should draft a guy mid-rounds no doubt to build upon for the future. Even if C-Pep is the answer, he may only be for 3-5 years.

Back
Top Bottom