My Bold Prediction: | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Bold Prediction:

NaboCane

I'm on my comma
Reaction score
Going out on a limb here, but I believe that if we do consummate a trade of Patrick Surtain, that we will pick Antrel Rolle with the second overall pick - if we keep it.

The kind of D Saban wants to play requires solid cover Corners that can play in space. Given that, if you look at the roster Poole is talented but unproven; Howard is a question mark because his performance was not what was expected from him last year; and Madison is still a top cover guy, but is aging and has lost a step - which, admittedly, he had to lose - but it's a sign of declination nonetheless.

With the prevailing sentiment for choosing a RB with that pick, I'll hate to see the backlash on the main board if we do go that route; for instance, if SF negotiates a deal with Rodgers (or Smith) to lock up a deal before the draft, and leaves us free to do the same with our choice, can you imagine if that negotiation is with Rolle instead of Brown? Yikes!

I'd be curious what you guys think...

I just don't see that happening, Bro. Rolle is not worth the #2 pick, IMO, and we may be ok at corner, even without Pat.

I think that there will be a surprise on Draft day if we are not able to trade down, but I believe that it will because Saban selects a QB.

I give you credit for going out on a limb, Nabo. But I think you're way off. CB isn't a big need for us, even assuming we trade Surtain. I don't think Saban is so set in his ways about running HIS defense that he'll make a big reach like Rolle at #2.

With 3 weeks before draft day, I still believe we will trade down. Someone will get antsy about a player. Happens every year. In fact, I think Cleveland is going to move up to #2 to ensure getting one of the 2 QBs.

BTW, to put my money where my mouth is, though, I'll say we take Ronnie Brown if we stay at 2.

"Whoa, that's bold, Phil."

Yeah, true. But hey, sometimes you gotta just take the chalk.

What would you all say is our percentage chance of trading down as of now?

I'd be PISSED, because it'd be quite a reach. Especially with such a strong corner class this year. I'd MUCH rather trade down, pick one of the mid to late first round CBs, and get a second out of the whole deal. Then we could still go RB or QB in the 2nd to help bolster the O.

That said, I'm still enamored with both Alex Smith, and Ronnie Brown. I'd be happy with either... a little less happy with a trade down.... and very, very unhappy with a reach like Rolle.

phinphanphrommi said:
I'd be PISSED, because it'd be quite a reach. Especially with such a strong corner class this year. I'd MUCH rather trade down, pick one of the mid to late first round CBs, and get a second out of the whole deal. Then we could still go RB or QB in the 2nd to help bolster the O.

That said, I'm still enamored with both Alex Smith, and Ronnie Brown. I'd be happy with either... a little less happy with a trade down.... and very, very unhappy with a reach like Rolle.

I guess what I didn't say is that I would much prefer to trade down over any of the scenarios involving any choice with that pick. So, yes I'd prefer to get two firsts + out of that one rather than take anyone with it.

And I am certainly taking the road less-traveled in terms of Rolle, since I do believe he is the best cover Corner in the draft, and could even play Safety in certain formations as well. Add to that the fact that he can return kicks and punts (he was a RB in HS) and he has versatility and value beyond that of just Cornerback. So I do believe he well-worth that pick, if it came down to it.

But that's what this board is for, to exchange ideas and opinions.

"Ain't it great?" Robert Evans

And Phrommi, the RB class this year is much stronger even than the CB class; we could get a solid RB in the 2nd or 3rd, especially if we get more picks through trades. However, we might not get a starting CB in those rounds.

I wouldn't say Rolle isn't worth that pick. He's one of about 7 or 8 players that could go at any point in the top 8 picks.

However, I don't believe that will be the direction Nick will go. Until convinced otherwise, I believe Nick Saban will pick Ronnie Brown.

You do make a good point about RBs... I could still see us getting a pretty good prospect with our 3rd, even if we don't end up with a 2nd from a Surtain trade. That said, I like our potential at the position. Howard is better than most give him credit for. He's not a spectacular corner, but he's pretty solid. Poole is the reason I'd be against taking a CB in the first. His upside is tremendous, and I could see him as our starter next year.

I'm enamored with Ronnie Brown due to his being an absolute perfect fit for Linehan's offense. He's a good runner, can split wide as a WR, runs good routes, has good hands... and is touted as the best pass blocking QB in the draft. That last bit is especially helpful in what will mostly be a 1 back system with no FB to help with blocking. If we end up with Brown at the number 2 pick, it will mean that we're sticking with Feeley who at times last year showed that he can get spooked by a heavy rush... and forced to throw an errant pass. I think our line will be improved this year under Houck, but I'm not expecting miracles. A good pass blocking RB cannot be overstated as a need.

Alex Smith, while possibly not as good a fit for our system as Aaron Rodgers.... he's just too damn smart to pass up, IMO. He's shown good accuracy, and while his main flaw (arm strength) might limit his capability to throw a nice 60 yard bomb ala Culpepper... I think he dispelled enough of the questions about him during his workout to warrant the 2nd overall. I also recently read that he "loves the game" and is a gym rat who enjoys working to improve his game. I also read that he has the frame to add more muscle, and IMO that will reduce his deep-field deficancy even more. I like Feeley's potential, but I just don't see how you can pass on a QB with such solid intangibles.

IMO if we do draft Rolle, it'd be to play free safety.....after we traded down. With Will Poole and Reggie Howard in the mix, I think we're ok at CB. Especially with Poole.

Back
Top Bottom