My Dolphins Value Board and Mock... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Dolphins Value Board and Mock...

Disagree on William Green. The fact that he ran a slow 40 time at the Combine means nothing. Almost every other RB ran slower than normal. And reports are that Green's stock didn't suffer a bit with that 40 time.

Also, Marc Colombo weighed in at 315 lbs at the Combine yesterday.

Other than that, great job!!

Interesting but putting TJ Duckett in the first round, especially that high, is a real stretch. He'll go somewhere mid to late second.

Fins ain't getting 4th & 5th rd picks as compensation

At best, a 5th TOTAL because overall, were your UFAs lost > UFAs signed. Armstrong MISSED the entire season, performance is part of the formula to determine compensation picks.

look you guys i have seen Carlos Hall for 4 years now and he has what it takes to be the next defensive stand-out for this team. i am not just saying this because i am a hog fan, but he could be something special.
also dont over look Josh Reed (WR LSU), he tore up are defense in the final game and we have a good defense.

So I say take reed in the second, and hall in the 4th

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

At best, a 5th TOTAL because overall, were your UFAs lost > UFAs signed. Armstrong MISSED the entire season, performance is part of the formula to determine compensation picks.

Weren't the picks suppose to be awarded in early March? If they haven't been awarded, when will they be awarded?

Carolina will be fools to pass up Peppers, he will be an outstanding NFL DE.

I hope we don't get McCown. He has talent, but I don't see him becoming a very good starting QB. TSN compares him to Rob Johnson, and who wants a QB who reminds people of Rob Johnson? Plus next year's draft is filled w/ 1st round quality QBs.

And I like Lockett to replace Odgen in the 7th.

Compensatory picks will be awarded at the owners meetings this month.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

Last I heard compensatory picks were based off of the value of contracts signed. Could be wrong though. However basing it on what a player does that season is incredibly stupid because chances are they wouldn't have had that injury if they had kept them or another team had signed them. Not to mention most contracts are longer then ONE year. The possibilities are out of a teams hand.

By the way Armstrong wasn't the only FA we lost. We also lost Richmond Webb and we signed no FA's who qualify for compensation.

Compensation Picks

Compensation picks will be determined by a specific formula in the NFL meeting later in March...

They are figured through a variety of factors...and they are almost always different then what a team expects to get...so trying to guess what they are going to get is pointless...just wait...and by all means don't listen to anyone who claims to be a master of the cap....

cause these people make moronic statements like "you will be in cap hell, just like we were last year"...ummm...

Seems like that statement might have been a bit premature.:D

Compensatory picks involves comparing the quality of the unrestricted free agents a team loses to the quality of the unrestricted free agents signs. The formula involves salary, playing time, & post season honors.

We lost: Armstrong, Webb, Shaw, Izzo, Owens

We signed: Cousin, Lucas, Perry, McKnight, Ward, Spriggs(wont count)

We'll definitely get at least one because of the quality factor & the salary difference.

Re: Compensation Picks

Originally posted by RHoffman
and by all means don't listen to anyone who claims to be a master of the cap....

cause these people make moronic statements like "you will be in cap hell, just like we were last year"...ummm...

Seems like that statement might have been a bit premature.:D

[Warning the following is just a guess since no one can predict the future occurences. Warning #2. Long read]

True however I figure we got 2 more seasons before the salary cap kills us especially if we get Kreutz who is going to cost big bucks. Surprising that we might actually sign a big $$ player and actually be an offensive linemen! Latest info on Kreutz is at the bottom of the "Gardener to Left DE spot" story.

In 2004 Gardener's got a 5.8 million base 2004 salary (and it will go up if they restructure it) + Jay's 3.7 million base salary + incentives that could be earned (if incentives aren't earned jay would be cut by then..not hard to earn those) +Madison's 6.3 million base + Surtain's 5.4 million and JT's 5.5 million.

We would now have 26.7 million "base" salary wrapped up in the 2004 cap not including the recent restructuring of Surtain/JT's contracts which means we forwarded roughly 8 million between the 2 into the future years. Then you add the fact that Zack Thomas is a free agent and we probably won't let him go, but we will probably give him an extension this year or next to save money now and cost us money in 2004. So lets be kind and say that will only be 3 million base not including the signing bonus #'s. So that would put us at 29.7 million base.

Doesn't sound too bad does it? Well now you got to remember if Chris Chambers blooms into that great WR then we are going to have to pay him big $$$'s before 2004 starts or we risk losing him in FA in 2005. If he blooms into that great WR his base salary will probably only be roughly $500,000 - $700,000. Not too bad so that brings us up to roughly 30.3 million.

Now add in the fact Kreutz is out for big bucks and he will probably be kicking into the 3.5 million + range that year and we are at 33.8 million.

All of this is without factoring in signing bonuses. Avg signing bonus of lets say (imaginary # as I can't be bothered to grab everyone's signing bonus info) 5.5 million for 8 players with an average of 5 year contracts. So that's 1.1 million PER player per year. That brings us to 42.6 million on EIGHT players not counting Jay's heavy incentives if he reaches them. Getting scary now isn't it?

Now add in that we will probably be carrying 4 million (being nice here...if it turns deadly we are looking at 6-8) min in dead weight $$$'s from released players and we are up to 46.6 million and the rest of the team.

Now imagine if we do get Ricky Williams? We could probably keep the cap low enough that year down to around 3.6 million for him and that would bring us to 50.2 million on 9 players.

This doesn't account for future free agents on our team or from others. Now lets say the cap goes up to a generous $85 million. That leaves roughly 34.8 million for the rest of the 45+ players on the team. 34.8 million or roughly $733,333 per player.

It will get interesting starting 2004 because while Spielman has kept this team salary cap wise for the past year and the next couple it's mostly because of back loaded contracts and they will bite us in the ass if it isn't played incredibly smart.

Oh and to make it even more scary concerning the left over money for other players is that we have a kicker scheduled to earn 1.85 million base that year. McKnight at 1.8 million base. No one currently at Safety occupying future dollars and Todd Wade's a FA 2004.

Now before you go "Oh we can deal with the contracts like we did with Bowens". Remember we could have lost Bowens if he didn't like it here so much. Also remember Bowens was in the final year of his contract and the hit from his signing bonus was only $750,000. No other phin contracts will be in their last year that year and the hit would be much more severe.

Ok I'll stop scaring you now. Really I will :)

The cap might be gone two years from now.

Who knows...

I certainly am not going to worry too much about two years from now at the moment, especially considering the fact that anything I will say is really speculation due to the fact that we do not really know the skinny on every deal with our big contract players.

Back
Top Bottom