My Draft Options for you | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Draft Options for you

Unless they trade Howard I can’t see a CB in the first few rounds

I can. Howard has had injuries cost him games the last few years and now the legal thing. If a highly rated CB is on the board R2-R3 and the value is too great to pass, you take him.

Top level CBs are hard to find and you can never have too many. Not in today's pass happy league.

In a perfect scenario we draft Tua at 5 and an OT at 18. After that I’d prefer to trade down from 26 and go HAM in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. There is incredible value day 2 this year.

Tua - Brees Clone. Don't pass on Brees 3 times.
Jones - Need OT that can play left or Right. He can play RT to protect blindside and had best senior bowl.
No. running Back in. first round wait till second. Take next Best OL that can play. LT or BPA at Safety. may need this pick to trade up.
#39 take BPA RB.
#56 Take second BPA OL if not taken at 26. If OL taken at 26. take BPA S.
#70 Find best edge or pass rusher here or DT if DT can pass rush.

I think it comes down to Tua or Herbert at #5. Hate passing up players like Brown or Simmons, but Miami needs to find their quarterback. No other position moves the needle more.

At #18, my top few choices, assuming nothing really strange happens:

Thomas LT (doubt he makes it)
Jefferson WR (one of my favorite players in this draft and I think a perfect fiti)
McKinney S (I think he would be a Flores type player, could make it to #26)
Jackson LT (a little bit of a reach, but I like him)
Jones LT
Gross-Matos DE
Chaisson LB/DE (likely gone)

At #26:

Any of the above if they reach #26
Winfield S (Might be a little early for him)
Swift RB (maybe wait until #39)
Taylor RB (maybe wait until #39)
Espenesa (his tape is good, his explosion numbers not so much)
Davidson DE/DT (Nice player, Flores type? Really like him.)
Ruiz C

5. Tua or Herbert

18. I want us to trade up and grab any of the available Thomas, Wirfs, Becton. Giving up Houstons 2nd next year and maybe a 5th this year to get up a few spots.

26. Lucas Niang gives us our bookends. Moves Davis to RG and we are set. Dieter can be backup interior, Davenport backup LT, Davis backup RT

39. Dobbins, Swift, CEH, Taylor, possibly a guy like Jefferson if he falls.

56. Go defense here Winfield, R. Davis, Anae

I will give you three Players. Which one choose you and why. Give me your opinion, why you pick your Guy over the other two for our Team.

(5) QB: Tua / Herbert / Love

(18) OT: J.Jones / A.Jackson / L.Niang

(26) RB: D.Swift / J.Taylor / J.K.Dobbins

(39) S: A.Davis / J.Chinn / A.Winfield

(56) NT: D.Hamilton / L.Fotu / B.Jones

(70) C: N.Harris / J.Hanson / D.Williams

5. Tua
18. None, trade down
26. None, trade down
39. Winfield

1. Tua

2. Jackson

3. Not drafting an f'ing RB in Round 1!!!!!!

4. Winfield

5. Hamilton

6. Here is where you get your RB

If we get our future QB at 5, then I think it's fair to assume that we go OT at 18. In fact I would not be surprised if we try to move up from 18 to get him (we have the Draft capital and this is a position of need).
BTW - It just struck me that it could be harder than ever to trade Draft picks on Draft day because of the coronavirus isolation. It is likely that the owners, GMs, coaches, key personnel evaluators will not all be together in the same room. Therefore, trying to make contact with a coach to get his OK may not be so easy. Potential deals may be missed because someone is waiting on hold. The really good GMs will shine.

If we get our future QB at 5, then I think it's fair to assume that we go OT at 18. In fact I would not be surprised if we try to move up from 18 to get him (we have the Draft capital and this is a position of need).
BTW - It just struck me that it could be harder than ever to trade Draft picks on Draft day because of the coronavirus isolation. It is likely that the owners, GMs, coaches, key personnel evaluators will not all be together in the same room. Therefore, trying to make contact with a coach to get his OK may not be so easy. Potential deals may be missed because someone is waiting on hold. The really good GMs will shine.
Good point. I wonder if the NFL might consider adding a little time to each pick to compensate for this?

I also think teams will probably take fewer chances.

I always look at SB winners to see how to build a team. Taking an RB in the first round going back the past 10 years does not seem to be a key component.

But those teams didn't have 3 first round picks.

I completely get the reasoning for not picking a RB in the first round. Mosr RB's aren't considered 1st round worthy. It's a deep RB class. RB's are 'a dime a dozen', etc. I get it.

But still, part of me really wants to use our 1.26 pick on a stud RB. Maybe it's the complete garbage we had at RB production last season making me feel that way. But if we get our franchise QB at 1.5, our franchise RB at 1.26, and grab the best player available regardless of position at 1.18 I would be thrilled. I'm also hoping we grab a 2nd RB later on in the draft. Maybe Zack Moss if he slips.

TFK

I will give you three Players. Which one choose you and why. Give me your opinion, why you pick your Guy over the other two for our Team.

(5) QB: Tua / Herbert / Love

(18) OT: J.Jones / A.Jackson / L.Niang

(26) RB: D.Swift / J.Taylor / J.K.Dobbins

(39) S: A.Davis / J.Chinn / A.Winfield

(56) NT: D.Hamilton / L.Fotu / B.Jones

(70) C: N.Harris / J.Hanson / D.Williams
Wow, the difference of opinions in 25 posts is mind bending. Digital- I love your thoughts, you are often an interesting poster with unique views.
I know Tua is the fan fave, but for me not in a trade up, maybe not at 5.
I like:
5)trade down
-Andrew Thomas at trade down spot.
18)X McKinney
26)trade down again. No RB in round 1. A CB here would be ok after trading, you can never have too many or flip this for multiple picks next year.
39)Best RB prospect here or Winfield
56)Definitely not a NG; how about the right tackle from Georgia, I. Wilson or the center from Temple
70)Tough call at this point who will be left. If we take Winfield at 39 then maybe Cam Akers or the RB from Maryland.
At some point a QB, and I call James Morgan QB FIU to develop. I know how unpopular this would be, but Flores wants a WOW/it factor; word is Morgan has IT, - needs to fix footwork and get touch on passes, he often rifles it, doesn't know when to ease off the heat. Love and Herbert are not IT guys. Read Digital's post on Tua. Morgan can sit for a year and learn and develop. So many people are sold on Tua and in my heart I want him to be the guy and I want us to be able to get that guy, but I don't think Tua is IT.
Which probably means he is because I am literally always wrong in my draft predictions.

5. Trade down to 9 and take Herbert (the better of him and tua) while adding a 2nd rd pick
18. - X.Mckineey
26. - J.Jones
39. - C.Ruiz
41 - T.Lewis
56 - J.K. Dobbins
70 - I. Wilson

5. Trade down to 9 and take Herbert (the better of him and tua) while adding a 2nd rd pick

I can't imagine Tua or Herbert being there at 9. Hell, Love might not even be there at 9.

TFK

With 14 total picks, I don't see the need to acquire more, so I would limit trading down unless it's for 2021 capital.
QB is job 1, so whether it's Tua, Burrows, Love or whoever, they have to get one. Then I'm looking for big uglies. Wouldn't mind a Wills/ Cushenberry or Thomas/ Ruiz combo to finish out the night. Maybe a pass rusher or DB depending on how it falls but that's how I would do it.

But those teams didn't have 3 first round picks.

I completely get the reasoning for not picking a RB in the first round. Mosr RB's aren't considered 1st round worthy. It's a deep RB class. RB's are 'a dime a dozen', etc. I get it.

But still, part of me really wants to use our 1.26 pick on a stud RB. Maybe it's the complete garbage we had at RB production last season making me feel that way. But if we get our franchise QB at 1.5, our franchise RB at 1.26, and grab the best player available regardless of position at 1.18 I would be thrilled. I'm also hoping we grab a 2nd RB later on in the draft. Maybe Zack Moss if he slips.

TFK
I get what you're saying. Makes sense.
If Love isn't there at 9 some team is gonna be looking to draft a new QB in 3 years. His release is just too slow.

Back
Top Bottom