My fairly simple, yet effective, offseason plan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My fairly simple, yet effective, offseason plan

FinsFan24

All-Timer
Reaction score
Forget all of you guys that think we are gonna trade any of our significant draft picks this year in what is a pretty weak FA class in comparison to years past. So here's what i propose we do.

Make Dansby our #1 FA priority. We might not have to break the bank on him. Although he will be by no means a bargain. Signing him will essentially free up our 1st pick by giving us the freedom to take the BPA. Besides that, sign a couple low end development players to push the depth we have a little harder. You never know, one of them might turn into a gem.

In the draft, It really depends on who falls. If Dez Bryant falls to us at 12, he will definitely be the BPA. But I'm not counting on him falling, unfortunately I do not see Denver passing on him with the inevitable departure of Brandon Marshall.

So I say we take Brandon Graham with the #12 selection. Who just seems to be wowing people more and more as the draft approaches. He is a hard worker, consistant, and he produces. Sound like a Parcells guy to you? He is said to be a Lamarr Woodley clone. Woodley even tutored him a bit while they were teammates at Michigan. I could see a future in the OLB duo of Wake and Graham wreaking havoc in opponents backfields. Tom Brady will absolutely HATE this pick.

In the 2nd round, We should address that oh so "necessary" WR position. And Brandon Lafell is the big (6'3'' 206 lbs) playmaking #1 WR this ream needs. He has very good hands. And has absolutely no fear going over the middle. His route running is a little suspect but that is something that can be taught in the NFL. My only real concern is that he drops some easy balls which shows his lack of concentration and wanting to start moving upfield too early. He needs to become more patient and just let his natural abilities mix with the knowledge and experience he will gain from being a professional Wide Reciever. He could be similar to Vincent Jackson in a few years.

With our 3rd pick, I think Cam Thomas will be a steal with the 74th pick. He is being projected as a pure NT which is something that this regime is really searching for. He has the build at 6'4'' and around 330 lbs. He has a quick burst off the line and is actually quite agile for a big guy. He needs to learn how to break down and finish plays a little better, but that is something that can be brought along with the right coaching and some experience.

In the 4th I think Pat Angerer would be a great pickup at ILB. We would already have our starters with Crowder and Dansby. Angerer would give us solid depth and would be much much cheaper than our current backup in Torbor or Ayodele. Also, he is a great special teams player, and we all know that means leaps and bounds with this team. Sure he is a bit undersized, but he has a good heart and high motor. Remind you of any other later round draft pick at ILB taken say, back in 96? Just sayin...

We have no 5th and I am modest enough to say I would have no idea exactly what players we would take with our 5 picks in the last 2 rounds but i do know enough about the team to say that they should get another ILB, another OLB, another WR, and 2 linemen, i would think they would both be OG or G/C. Probably some small school prospects with good measureables and work ethic. They could turn out to be the next Donald Thomas, or just Training Camp Fodder. We wont know till late August.

So Im liking the opening Day starters to look like this:

QB-Henne
RB-Brown
FB-Polite
WR-Hartline
WR-Lafell
Slot-Bess
LT-Long
LG-Smiley
C-Grove
RG-Thomas
RT-Carey

LDE-Langford
NT-Ferg/Thomas
RDE-Starks
LOLB-Taylor/Wake
ILB-Crowder
ILB-Dansby
ROLB-Graham
CB-Davis
FS-Clemons
SS-Bell
CB-Smith

See, fairly simple. I think Clemons is going to really step up in Nolans D and I feel Gibril is out the door. Let me know what you guys think. Be critical :up:

Not bad. I agree. Dansby is #1 priority. We should also sign some other ILBs like Foote or Fujita. Also, we should cut Wilson and try to sign Sean Jones of Eagles, and another cheap FS like Boulware. I dont agree on brandon Graham. this draft should be all offense.

QB-Henne
RB-Brown
FB-Polite
WR-Demaryius Thomas
WR-Dez Bryant
Slot-Bess
LT-Long
LG-Smiley
C-Grove
RG-John Jerry
RT-Carey
TE - Jimmy Graham

LDE-Langford
NT-Ferg/Soliai
RDE-Starks
LOLB-Taylor
ILB-Crowder
ILB-Dansby
ROLB-Wake
CB-Allen
FS-Sean Jones
SS-Bell
CB-Davis (Smith is a bench warmer)

Forget all of you guys that think we are gonna trade any of our significant draft picks this year in what is a pretty weak FA class in comparison to years past. So here's what i propose we do.

Make Dansby our #1 FA priority. We might not have to break the bank on him. Although he will be by no means a bargain. Signing him will essentially free up our 1st pick by giving us the freedom to take the BPA. Besides that, sign a couple low end development players to push the depth we have a little harder. You never know, one of them might turn into a gem.

In the draft, It really depends on who falls. If Dez Bryant falls to us at 12, he will definitely be the BPA. But I'm not counting on him falling, unfortunately I do not see Denver passing on him with the inevitable departure of Brandon Marshall.

So I say we take Brandon Graham with the #12 selection. Who just seems to be wowing people more and more as the draft approaches. He is a hard worker, consistant, and he produces. Sound like a Parcells guy to you? He is said to be a Lamarr Woodley clone. Woodley even tutored him a bit while they were teammates at Michigan. I could see a future in the OLB duo of Wake and Graham wreaking havoc in opponents backfields. Tom Brady will absolutely HATE this pick.

In the 2nd round, We should address that oh so "necessary" WR position. And Brandon Lafell is the big (6'3'' 206 lbs) playmaking #1 WR this ream needs. He has very good hands. And has absolutely no fear going over the middle. His route running is a little suspect but that is something that can be taught in the NFL. My only real concern is that he drops some easy balls which shows his lack of concentration and wanting to start moving upfield too early. He needs to become more patient and just let his natural abilities mix with the knowledge and experience he will gain from being a professional Wide Reciever. He could be similar to Vincent Jackson in a few years.

With our 3rd pick, I think Cam Thomas will be a steal with the 74th pick. He is being projected as a pure NT which is something that this regime is really searching for. He has the build at 6'4'' and around 330 lbs. He has a quick burst off the line and is actually quite agile for a big guy. He needs to learn how to break down and finish plays a little better, but that is something that can be brought along with the right coaching and some experience.

In the 4th I think Pat Angerer would be a great pickup at ILB. We would already have our starters with Crowder and Dansby. Angerer would give us solid depth and would be much much cheaper than our current backup in Torbor or Ayodele. Also, he is a great special teams player, and we all know that means leaps and bounds with this team. Sure he is a bit undersized, but he has a good heart and high motor. Remind you of any other later round draft pick at ILB taken say, back in 96? Just sayin...

We have no 5th and I am modest enough to say I would have no idea exactly what players we would take with our 5 picks in the last 2 rounds but i do know enough about the team to say that they should get another ILB, another OLB, another WR, and 2 linemen, i would think they would both be OG or G/C. Probably some small school prospects with good measureables and work ethic. They could turn out to be the next Donald Thomas, or just Training Camp Fodder. We wont know till late August.

So Im liking the opening Day starters to look like this:

QB-Henne
RB-Brown
FB-Polite
WR-Hartline
WR-Lafell
Slot-Bess
LT-Long
LG-Smiley
C-Grove
RG-Thomas
RT-Carey

LDE-Langford
NT-Ferg/Thomas
RDE-Starks
LOLB-Taylor/Wake
ILB-Crowder
ILB-Dansby
ROLB-Graham
CB-Davis
FS-Clemons
SS-Bell
CB-Smith

See, fairly simple. I think Clemons is going to really step up in Nolans D and I feel Gibril is out the door. Let me know what you guys think. Be critical :up:

VERY REALISTIC and I like your ideas in the draft (mainly the positions you focused on). If we can get a true NT in the 3rd round that would be good enough to fill in a rotation spot with Solai, I would be happy. Ferg is probably going to retire by the way, so I would say the rotation would be the draft pick and Solai. WR in the 2nd seems the most realistic as well considering there should be some good potential guys there in the early part of the 2nd. Not sure on Thomas. I do think we need to add another rotational OLB as well b/c if we take Graham, we are going to need a rotational guy and a veteran FA would work just fine.

I think we may not like what we have in Clemons. I wasn't that impressed in his limited time this year, although I was more impressed with him then Gibril (not saying much).

Maybe 2011 is the year we go after a big name #1 target WR if we can't find a way to get Boldin or Dez doesn't drop to us in the 1st.

Not bad. I agree. Dansby is #1 priority. We should also sign some other ILBs like Foote or Fujita. Also, we should cut Wilson and try to sign Sean Jones of Eagles, and another cheap FS like Boulware. I dont agree on brandon Graham. this draft should be all offense.

QB-Henne
RB-Brown
FB-Polite
WR-Demaryius Thomas
WR-Dez Bryant
Slot-Bess
LT-Long
LG-Smiley
C-Grove
RG-John Jerry
RT-Carey
TE - Jimmy Graham

LDE-Langford
NT-Ferg/Soliai
RDE-Starks
LOLB-Taylor
ILB-Crowder
ILB-Dansby
ROLB-Wake
CB-Allen
FS-Sean Jones
SS-Bell
CB-Davis (Smith is a bench warmer)

First of all, Sean Jones just isn't that good. Trust me, I live in the Philly area. Sean Smith is a bench warmer huh? Considering he was starting over Vontae in the beginning of the year, I would beg to differ. Playing CB is not all about making the big INT. Sean Smith played better in coverage this year.

So you want to sign Dansby and Foote or Fujita. I hope that means we are cutting Crowder. Not worth having 3 startable ILB's. You want 2 WR's in the 1st 2 rounds and you want to push Hartline and Cam to the bench. I just don't see the need there. Hartline and Cam are fine as a #2 and #4 (whichever way it ends up). Not sure I agree on alot of what you are saying. Also, is Jimmy Graham going to be available in the 3rd?

I like your draft. im thinking, do whatever it takes to get Dansby. hes a must. I also think its huge that we get wilfork. if we get dansby and vince i think are defense goes from below average to scary.if bryant is there a 12 you take him, if not i like graham i think he will be a solid player. if you dont get bryant at 12 i agree you take lafell in 2nd round. I also like Norwood if we dont get lafell in the 2nd round or get bryant in 1st round.

This analysis was interesting because it is at least realistic.
1)I'm hearing no way Wilfork becomes available.
2)Can we trade down at all and get Graham?
3)I don't understand the Angerer pick if we've signed Dansby. Go for Safety, TE or OL Jerry if he's still around.
4)Could McCluster be there in the 4th? Don't know what his role would be, but I liked watching him play.

Sweet, realistic was what i was goin for first and foremost. I think Angerer in the 4th is smart because he would solidify our ILB's and turn it into a strength, as well as being a great special teamer and good rotational player when the starters are winded.

My only problem with it is that it leaves the FS to just Clemons and whatever other low end FA or late round draft pick comes in. Hopefully Nolan can work his magic like he did in Denver last year.

Any ideas on somehow getting that playmaking FS we need or do you think Clemons can be the real deal with another year or so?

Wow, "the draft should be all offense",:bobdole:
you should watch the N.E., Indy, and N.O. games and then read your post. This team needs D in a bad way. I don't think I could disagree with you more.

I dont like it much but its a very realistic possibility. Its nice to see someone actualy take the time to really think about it. Great Thread!

Back
Top Bottom