My first day mock draft..this is my FINAL version.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My first day mock draft..this is my FINAL version..

PhinfanBo1

Scout Team
Reaction score
Here it is after much thought, evaluation and preperation. I said yesterday that my original mock would be my lone prediction, but after getting that down on paper I reconsidered. Anyway, here goes and all questions and comments are appreciated. I will have Day 2 available tommorow...

1) (Trade down with New England giving up the 20th overall selection in exchange for the 32nd and 63rd overall selections)

Justin Smiley OG Alabama 6-3 297 5.0 40: The Dolphins will consider staying put and drafting one of the receivers they really like; Clayton or Evans but with the depth at that position, and the chance of moving down and getting an extra pick that will be so valuable, I believe Spielman will make the move to get a good value player at a position of need, and maybe the player closest to being a "sure thing" in this draft. Smiley is a player that can come in and start at Right Guard from the first day of training camp; he has that much experience, he's that intelligent and he's that good. Doesn't have prototypical "mauling" guard type of size, but I think the coaching staff fell in love with the pulling ability of Jamie Nails in 2002, and the effect that had on our running attack. Jeno James is a strong, tough Left Guard who can also pull out and be very good on the move; having two guards like that would be unbelievable. Smiley is strong at the point of attack and a tough, nasty run blocker who has enough size and strength and more than enough attitude, technique and tenacity. His strong suit, however, is his ability to pull and trap, as well as getting to the 2nd level to make a 2nd block and hit a linebacker. Hard working player who is dedicated to his team, and the game. Major upgrade on the right side and a guy that could be a starter and a probowler for years.

2) Derrick Hamilton WR Clemson 6-3 196 4.50 40: This kid reminds me a lot of Chambers when we drafted him; the system he played in didn't allow his abilities to be showcased the way that they should have been but you can see the talent. He needs to bulk up some, and he has the frame to do that but his height, compared with very good speed, excellent run after the catch ability and outstanding return skills make him a perfect player for the Dolphins to pick up at this point. He could be used very much in the same way we used Chambers as a rookie; match him up on nickle backs and try to get the ball into his hands down the field on simple routes, and also use him on screens and reverses while he develops his technique and fine tunes his game. Should definetly be in the mix as both a kick, and punt returner.

3) Tony Pape OT Michigan 6-6 324 5.35 40: Another underrated player who isn't real flashy and may never be a standout but has the chance to be a very good starter for a long time, and a guy that can contribute right away. True Right Tackle who has the experience and technique down to push John St. Clair while Damion McIntosh, the future at the position, rehabilitates. Pape has very good size for the position, long arms, he re-directs well and is a sound pass blocker, and a good drive blocker in the running game. Doesn't project at all at Left Tackle and that will drop him, but he represents a good fit and good value for the Dolphins here in the 3rd round.

Preview for Day 2: I'm thinking maybe a DT like Junior Saivii from Oregon State, or maybe a safety like Madieu Williams or Pruitt if one of them slips into the 2nd day of the draft, as our 4th round selection. For the 6th round selection, I am locked into moving up for Rod Davis, another underrated player who I like a lot, probably giving up a 7th round pick. Then using the 7th rounder on a project at Quaterback.

I like the NE trade, and think it is possible, and the #1 and #2 although Devery Henderson in the second would be a nice fit as well for many of the same reasons as Hamilton.

I don't like the Pape selction for the player or the need. Why take a 3rd rounder at a position where he will be on the bench as a reserve for the rest of his tenure due to Smith and McIntosh being the tackles of the future?

I would prefer Matthias Askew DT or Demorrio Williams LB with the #3 pick.

Awfully nice post #1. I agree with many things you have said. Trading down makes the most sense, unless Andrews is available. I really love Justin Smiley and he seems like a Spielman type of player. He is going to be a great pro for many years.

I like the kid from Clemson and you're right he is reminiscent of Chris Chambers. Would be great to have a raw talent like that. I think Jerry Sullivan could mold him into a great receiver. I like Tony Pape a lot; he is an underrated tackle who is a very good run or drive blocker. Michigan moved him over to the right side last year to open holes for the running game, but he's not that bad of pass blocker. He certainly doesn't have the feet you would like to see, but at the 3rd round, he represents good value. If Pape works out well at RT, McIntosh could easily be moved inside.

Nice post. Let's hope our real picks look at least this good.

I personally think that would be a reach for Pape. He'll be available in the fourth ala the last RT prospect who was somewhat underrated according to some and had no future at LT, Brett Williams.

I'd have to say there is better prospects available in the third than Pape. I also think D Williams will be long gone by the third round. LB's who are fast always fly up the board just before draft day.

hey im a new member, im only 14 but footballs my life, has anyone really considered olshansky i mean he should be there in the second and probably 3rd, some people have the cards taking him in the second but they definatwly need to go with bpa since theyre pretty full of holes, i mean olshansky is huge and is THE strongest player in the draft and is pretty quick, i admit he does lack awareness but he'll develope that in a few years behind timbo,chester,and zginina(spellcheck?) with a healthy rotation. 4 good dt going in during plays would definately give us alot more pass rush and keep them healthy enough to go against the run. Ive been playing dt and linebacker since i was little and boy does size help, last year i was like an albert haynesworth and it didnt work as good, i was depending on speed too much and although it can be argued strength is overrated it darn well should be because thats almost half a linemans ability there

i played center since i was little also and boy do i hate a dt thats stronger than me, doesnt happen much but i hate it. oh yeah and good news i get to be fullback next year because coach thinks im fast enough to be. im a linemen that runs as fast as our halfback. sry but yeah

If you told Rick, he c/trade out of #20 and get Smiley and a pick in rd 2 , I think he would take it and take a WR, too. Not sure Smiley will last to 32nd... all depends on how the draft goes w/OLmen since Smiley c/b the #2 OL guy on some draft boards.

:welcome: a-board Juice :D

I do not see DT being a position worth picking thus year since we have 3 solid vets and Romero who has played well enuf for a 4th DT. We also do not activate 4 DTs that often if Tim Bo, Chester and Zgonina are healthy since J Will and D Bo move inside. I would make DT a top priority in 2005, but pass in 2004 until the later rounds

Jorser said:
although Devery Henderson in the second would be a nice fit as well for many of the same reasons as Hamilton.

I agree, but Henderson won't be there at #63. Hamilton would be a great pick though. He has the ability to be a burner after the catch over the middle, & he's great on the outsides. He's also a good return man with crazy potential.

Nice mock, Bo...this is one of the few that I actually like a lot. Nice job.

PhinfanBo1 said:
Here it is after much thought, evaluation and preperation. I said yesterday that my original mock would be my lone prediction, but after getting that down on paper I reconsidered. Anyway, here goes and all questions and comments are appreciated. I will have Day 2 available tommorow...

1) (Trade down with New England giving up the 20th overall selection in exchange for the 32nd and 63rd overall selections)

Justin Smiley OG Alabama 6-3 297 5.0 40: The Dolphins will consider staying put and drafting one of the receivers they really like; Clayton or Evans but with the depth at that position, and the chance of moving down and getting an extra pick that will be so valuable, I believe Spielman will make the move to get a good value player at a position of need, and maybe the player closest to being a "sure thing" in this draft. Smiley is a player that can come in and start at Right Guard from the first day of training camp; he has that much experience, he's that intelligent and he's that good. Doesn't have prototypical "mauling" guard type of size, but I think the coaching staff fell in love with the pulling ability of Jamie Nails in 2002, and the effect that had on our running attack. Jeno James is a strong, tough Left Guard who can also pull out and be very good on the move; having two guards like that would be unbelievable. Smiley is strong at the point of attack and a tough, nasty run blocker who has enough size and strength and more than enough attitude, technique and tenacity. His strong suit, however, is his ability to pull and trap, as well as getting to the 2nd level to make a 2nd block and hit a linebacker. Hard working player who is dedicated to his team, and the game. Major upgrade on the right side and a guy that could be a starter and a probowler for years.

2) Derrick Hamilton WR Clemson 6-3 196 4.50 40: This kid reminds me a lot of Chambers when we drafted him; the system he played in didn't allow his abilities to be showcased the way that they should have been but you can see the talent. He needs to bulk up some, and he has the frame to do that but his height, compared with very good speed, excellent run after the catch ability and outstanding return skills make him a perfect player for the Dolphins to pick up at this point. He could be used very much in the same way we used Chambers as a rookie; match him up on nickle backs and try to get the ball into his hands down the field on simple routes, and also use him on screens and reverses while he develops his technique and fine tunes his game. Should definetly be in the mix as both a kick, and punt returner.

3) Tony Pape OT Michigan 6-6 324 5.35 40: Another underrated player who isn't real flashy and may never be a standout but has the chance to be a very good starter for a long time, and a guy that can contribute right away. True Right Tackle who has the experience and technique down to push John St. Clair while Damion McIntosh, the future at the position, rehabilitates. Pape has very good size for the position, long arms, he re-directs well and is a sound pass blocker, and a good drive blocker in the running game. Doesn't project at all at Left Tackle and that will drop him, but he represents a good fit and good value for the Dolphins here in the 3rd round.

Preview for Day 2: I'm thinking maybe a DT like Junior Saivii from Oregon State, or maybe a safety like Madieu Williams or Pruitt if one of them slips into the 2nd day of the draft, as our 4th round selection. For the 6th round selection, I am locked into moving up for Rod Davis, another underrated player who I like a lot, probably giving up a 7th round pick. Then using the 7th rounder on a project at Quaterback.
The trade could happen but if it does, forget about Smiley cos he wont last that long. I think NE could take him with our pick actually. I like Hamilton a lot but he should be there in round 3. I like Pape too but if we do get Smiley then we won't take another o-lineman on day one.So I like all 3 players but I doubt we go for 2 o-linemen and Hamilton in the 2nd is way to high for him imo.

Ozzy rules!!

I like the trade down and those picks, however do not think Smiley will last that long. However a Jake Grove probably would and/or the S from Georgia!?

Sean Jones from Georgia is awesome, not just because I am a biased Dawg fan but because I have seen him play in person. He can take over a game by himself and is a very hard hitter. I do not live far from Clemson and I can say that Hamilton is a tremendous talent and the Fins could really use a 6'5" reciever with Chambers and Boston. I also think he ran kicks back for Clemson. I think Matt Schaub from Virginia will be a talented pro QB and he may be there in the later rounds.
Personally I say we hold off drafting a qb until next year and go after David Greene..whoops there goes my Dawg biased opinion again.

If the Pats trade for our pick it will be to use it to move up to the top 4 or 5 to get Taylor, not to draft at that position. I was in the chat session with Jake Grove yesterday and he said that he played some G until his Junior year of college. So if Smiley is gone that bodes very well for us. He also said that Ricky was a great back and that he would love to block for him.

Danny said:
The trade could happen but if it does, forget about Smiley cos he wont last that long. I think NE could take him with our pick actually. I like Hamilton a lot but he should be there in round 3. I like Pape too but if we do get Smiley then we won't take another o-lineman on day one.So I like all 3 players but I doubt we go for 2 o-linemen and Hamilton in the 2nd is way to high for him imo.

Ozzy rules!!

I totally agree. I have a very strong feeling that NE is targeting OG J. Smiley. That's why I'm against trading down. I think if you want a particular player, and that player fills a need, you take him when you get the chance...

J. Smiley will not fall beyond round one IMO. He's been one of those players that are silently moving up draft boards, and his attitude towards the game is what makes him such an attractive pick...

I say stay put at #20. Hope that someone {Chicago} bites on the O-Gun trade. If not, no big deal....

If Andrews is gone by the time we pick at #20, take either OG J. Smiley or possibly OG V. Carey. Why roll the dice tarding down. We need one of these guys, and if we have to take one at #20, we should do it, and be happy with it....

PHINZ RULE!!! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom