My First Half-Round Mock Draft | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My First Half-Round Mock Draft

fishypete said:
McNabb came from a winning school....so did Peyton, so did Brady and Culpepper....in his own way....Culpepper threw for a 73.6% rating beating Steve Youngs record....he threw for 3690 yds...28 tds and just 7 ints in 403 atts...on a school that one wouldn't say was a stand out. He nearly beat Nebraska, South Carolina and Ol' Miss....remembering that when he played those schools they still had winning records and programs.
Coming from a winning school and being a winner is a totally different thing. None of those QBs were winners in college and it doesn't matter what numbers Culpepper put up we arent talking about personal talent here. Talent is something that can't be argued against Cutler. You said Young was a winner and Cutler wasn't, but being a winner in college means nothing. Having talent does.

fishypete said:
Young will immediately improve the offense...and he'll greatly improve ticket sales....something Bush won't to any great detail.
How is Young going to improve their offense from the bench. He is not NFL ready and will need to sit a year at least. Bush will immediately improve their offense by giving them a big time play maker right off the bat. And I don't think ticket sales will be any different between the two. Texans fans have been beside themselves for months about Bush. OTL nightly did a special on how they wanted their team to lose out in order to get Bush. People in the stands had signs about bringing him there. Plus he instantly makes them a better team with makes people want to come out and watch the team more. Bush will be the pick and should be the pick.

ckparrothead said:
I don't see anything wrong with that statement. The Houston folks will get to the game to see Vince Young before they get there to see Reggie Bush...the same as 20% of the people attending Cardinals games at one time were doing so just to see Jake Plummer (hometown hero). And, yes, Vince, especially as a QB, is dynamic enough to have a bigger impact on the offense than Reggie Bush, IMO.

yea there is something wrong with it. the fact that he said bush WONT do that stuff. bush is the most exciting RB to come through this draft in a long time. people will come to see this guy. and he will definilty make them better offensivly

I hope we get Cutler at 16 if not I hope we get a Defensive stud.

ckparrothead said:
I'm not going to go overboard making a whole lot of these, and this only covers half of the first round because we're so far out from the draft that resolution gets a whole lot hazier at the bottom half of the first. I won't do anything comprehensive until the eve of the draft...and will probably only come up with one more mock sometime between now and then.

1. Vince Young to the Texans
There will be far too much pressure from the fans to keep their hero in town…a la Jake Plummer in Arizona. At one point in Arizona they estimated that 20% of fan attendance was linked with Plummer's presence on the Cardinals. That percentage could go even higher in Houston for Young, where the Texans have yet to repay fan loyalty with anything resembling quality football.

2. Matt Leinart to the Saints
Unless he pulls an Eli, this appears to be his destination.

3. Reggie Bush to the Titans
Norm Chow will be all too happy to be reunited with his favorite offensive weapon. Chow likes Leinart, but deep down I think he likes Bush more.

4. D’Brickashaw Ferguson to the Jets
Whoever they get or put out there at QB, they need to protect him. The Jets were one of the most-sacked teams, and it has been apparent for a while that Jason Fabini is about done. If Mangini becomes the coach, he could show favoritism towards the D, but I think they grab the next Walter Jones when they get the chance.

5. LenDale White to the Packers
New rumors have them enamored with White, and his Rose Bowl performance helped his stock considerably. The rumors make sense. Ahman Green is gone after this year, and the team needs to build around Rodgers. Jim Bates will fight like heck for AJ Hawk, but in the end the offense wins out.

6. AJ Hawk to the Raiders
Very unfair for him to fall even this far. He is the best defensive player in the draft, and quite possibly the best player in the draft period. But, some teams really need offense.

7. Marcus McNeil to the 49ers
I see people keep predicting defense, but the team needs to build around the franchise QB. There are no world-beating receivers here. Time to start protecting Alex Smith. He took 29 sacks in only 8 games…and Nolan won’t let him become the new David Carr.

8. Haloti Ngata to the Bills
They need big uglies on both sides of the line and with McNeil gone, Ngata is the choice because Donahoe is not there to show favoratism toward Hurricanes players like Eric Winston.

9. Mario Williams to Detroit
Millen is a big proponent of drafting the best player available, which has led to drafting three straight receivers. Finally, it will lead to a franchise defensive end, instead. Mario Williams just grades higher than Jimmy Williams, who would be their next target here. And, Millen is not smart enough to draft Jay Cutler and give up on Harrington.

10. DeAngelo Williams to the Cardinals
He is the Arrington that Arrington turned out not to be. Denny Green could also go with Eric Winston or Jon Scott here, but he needs a runner bad and this year's tackle class is deep.

11. Mathias Kiwanuku to the Rams
Time to start building that defense the right way, from the pass rush out.

12. Chad Greenway to the Cleveland Browns
Nick Saban and Romeo Crennel would both have a knock-down drag-out fight over this kid if they could. Belichick would watch, and be jealous that he doesn’t pick higher than them. Greenway is just their kind of linebacker.

13. Jimmy Williams to the Baltimore Ravens
The Ravens defense needs to be kept fresh to keep winning games, and Williams is a perfect fit as a safety to replace free agent Demps. They could go with a tackle, but no other offensive player on the board makes sense.

14. Demeco Ryans to the Eagles
Fits in immediately as a play-making, blitzing, intercepting weak side backer that they haven’t had since William Thomas.

15. Michael Huff to the Falcons
They could use a corner or a safety, and Huff could be either. I won't even go into how good of a player Huff is, because I think most people know already. Drafting him will make the Falcons very happy.

16. Jay Cutler to the Dolphins
Vince Young coming out bumps Cutler down far enough for Miami to get him. The Phins do like him, but Nick Saban will be tearing his hair out as four higher-rated players in Greenway, Williams, Ryans, and Huff all get taken before #16. Cutler is a pretty good consolation prize, though, and he fits everything Scott Linehan would like to do at the position. I would have the team taking Laron Landry or Jon Scott here, but #16 might be a little too high for Landry (the dreaded reach) and I do not think Hudson Houck will sign off on drafting a lineman in the first round. It just isn't his style. He is good enough that he thinks he can find first round quality in the 4th or 5th round, once you shine them up a bit. A lot of the time he's even right.

Nice mock. A few comments:

5 - I think Hawk would be their pick here. GB's defense is terrible and the number of early entry RBs means they can find quality at that position later on (Gado didn't do too bad at the end of the year either).

7 - Too early for McNeil IMO. It would be hard to pass on Ngata or any of the 3 Williams at that spot for McNeil.

14 - While this pick makes sense, there may also be a strong push to grab the top ranked WR on their board (Holmes?) since no WR has been drafted yet. Of course, Philly has never been a team that worries about appeasing the fans with their first rounders.

16 - Unless Cutler really wows them between now and April I agree that Saban would prefer to go with Huff, Williams or Greenway here (not sure about Ryans though).

General Tso said:
16 - Unless Cutler really wows them between now and April I agree that Saban would prefer to go with Huff, Williams or Greenway here (not sure about Ryans though).
I don't kow. From what I hear they are very high on Cutler and considering how many times Saban has stressed how important it is this team has a QB I think if Cuter is there he is undoubtedly the pick and I think Saban even would consider trading up for him if necessary.

sports24/7 said:
I don't kow. From what I hear they are very high on Cutler and considering how many times Saban has stressed how important it is this team has a QB I think if Cuter is there he is undoubtedly the pick and I think Saban even would consider trading up for him if necessary.

Unless you know Saban, you haven't "heard" the Dolphins' opinion on Cutler, you've heard pure speculation. Last year many "heard" we were taking Edwards.

Saban knows what everyone else does... this team is going nowhere without a serious upgrade at QB. Whether Cutler is that QB or not remains to be seen. Personally I like him, but if he lasts until #16 then I'm wondering why on earth Detroit and Arizona passed on him when their QB problems are just as significant as ours. Of course, I still believe Aaron Rodgers was the best QB last year and as good as any QB this year... and he made it all the way to #24.

General Tso said:
Nice mock. A few comments:

5 - I think Hawk would be their pick here. GB's defense is terrible and the number of early entry RBs means they can find quality at that position later on (Gado didn't do too bad at the end of the year either).

7 - Too early for McNeil IMO. It would be hard to pass on Ngata or any of the 3 Williams at that spot for McNeil.

14 - While this pick makes sense, there may also be a strong push to grab the top ranked WR on their board (Holmes?) since no WR has been drafted yet. Of course, Philly has never been a team that worries about appeasing the fans with their first rounders.

Pretty much everyone has Hawk going to the Pack at #5, but that may be premature. They have to wonder if a linebacker can do more to turn a program around than a top notch runner. Certainly they wouldn't be doing any favors to Aaron Rodgers by keeping the same running back situation. They have receivers, they have tight ends, they have tackles (need interior OL), and if they had a good runner, that really sets Aaron Rodgers up to make a smooth transition.

I just think that with Bush and White gone at #7, the 49ers will concentrate on helping Alex Smith and he needs it. He took 29 sacks in only 8 games. Kwame Harris and Adam Snyder were the two tackles. Harris may not ever make it to left tackle. They will want a tackle and Ferguson will be off the board. McNeil would be a very good pick for that team here, because he is exactly what they need...a protector for Alex Smith. If I thought DeAngelo Williams were the next best thing to sliced bread I would put him here, but they need tackles more than they need runners...because for all the inconsistency, Frank Gore, Kevan Barlow, and Maurice Hicks were actually able to run for decent yardage. I mean, the three of them combined for 1500 yards where Miami's duo combined for 1650. Frank Gore, in particular, showed some real potential with his 608 yards at a 4.8 ypc. Remember, this was a guy that was supposed to be the most talented runner the Canes had in a long time until he went through injury problems. Gore and Hicks can hold down the RB duties for a while, but they NEED offensive line in a very bad way.

Santonio Holmes might not project into the top 15...I don't know. He's got speed and that's great, and he's pretty savvy, but there's nothing that pops out to the Eagles to say, hey you must take me. In the meantime they made their 2nd round WR selection last year in Reggie Brown, and he did show some promise. I think Todd Pinkston comes back to help the position a bit, and Billy McMullen is another guy they drafted in the 3rd a while ago they hope will step up. At one point you have to stop drafting first round WRs just because you haven't seen a guy step up into a #1 role yet, because lets face it, it does take a little time for these guys to develop. They'd be much better off signing a guy as a free agent than drafting a first round guy. On offense the team could have used T.O. but they had more problems associated with their non-commitment to the ground game, and also Donovan McNabb missing most of the year is a gimme. But on defense is where they have not gotten the production they are use to. They couldn't stop the run at times, and they sure as heck couldn't consistently pressure passers at times. Jim Johnson relies on that blitz heavy D and he didn't have effective blitzers. Ryans can blitz, trust me he can blitz.

fishypete said:
Not sure what your talking about Nappy....Bush was stopped by the best defense he faced all year....do certain teams cause problems for players....sure they do...but what do you want...a winning QB....or a running back thats never played a full season and a full game? Bush at best will get 10-12 touches...is that a full time player....worthy of the first pick in the draft? I like Bush...he's a great talent....but you have to place value on his worth.

I think Bush will get atleast as many touches as Ronnie Brown gets with Ricky Williams on the Phins. Bush will probably get like 15 carries a game, but he'll end up with close to 20 touches. I think he'll be used very similar to the way Faulk was used in St. Louis.

ckparrothead said:
Pretty much everyone has Hawk going to the Pack at #5, but that may be premature. They have to wonder if a linebacker can do more to turn a program around than a top notch runner. Certainly they wouldn't be doing any favors to Aaron Rodgers by keeping the same running back situation. They have receivers, they have tight ends, they have tackles (need interior OL), and if they had a good runner, that really sets Aaron Rodgers up to make a smooth transition.

I just think that with Bush and White gone at #7, the 49ers will concentrate on helping Alex Smith and he needs it. He took 29 sacks in only 8 games. Kwame Harris and Adam Snyder were the two tackles. Harris may not ever make it to left tackle. They will want a tackle and Ferguson will be off the board. McNeil would be a very good pick for that team here, because he is exactly what they need...a protector for Alex Smith. If I thought DeAngelo Williams were the next best thing to sliced bread I would put him here, but they need tackles more than they need runners...because for all the inconsistency, Frank Gore, Kevan Barlow, and Maurice Hicks were actually able to run for decent yardage. I mean, the three of them combined for 1500 yards where Miami's duo combined for 1650. Frank Gore, in particular, showed some real potential with his 608 yards at a 4.8 ypc. Remember, this was a guy that was supposed to be the most talented runner the Canes had in a long time until he went through injury problems. Gore and Hicks can hold down the RB duties for a while, but they NEED offensive line in a very bad way.

Santonio Holmes might not project into the top 15...I don't know. He's got speed and that's great, and he's pretty savvy, but there's nothing that pops out to the Eagles to say, hey you must take me. In the meantime they made their 2nd round WR selection last year in Reggie Brown, and he did show some promise. I think Todd Pinkston comes back to help the position a bit, and Billy McMullen is another guy they drafted in the 3rd a while ago they hope will step up. At one point you have to stop drafting first round WRs just because you haven't seen a guy step up into a #1 role yet, because lets face it, it does take a little time for these guys to develop. They'd be much better off signing a guy as a free agent than drafting a first round guy. On offense the team could have used T.O. but they had more problems associated with their non-commitment to the ground game, and also Donovan McNabb missing most of the year is a gimme. But on defense is where they have not gotten the production they are use to. They couldn't stop the run at times, and they sure as heck couldn't consistently pressure passers at times. Jim Johnson relies on that blitz heavy D and he didn't have effective blitzers. Ryans can blitz, trust me he can blitz.

I think the 9ers could go left tackle, but they did sign Jennings last year who if ever healthy is decent. The 9ers are in rough shape, talent wise they're the worst team in the league, IMO, they need alot of help.

I think the whole LenDale-Packers thing was nothing more than a rumor. A buddy of mine that follows the Packers VERY closely told me it was BS, who knows.

SpeedRush99 said:
I think the whole LenDale-Packers thing was nothing more than a rumor. A buddy of mine that follows the Packers VERY closely told me it was BS, who knows.

I don't know what the Packers will do, but taking a running back would not surprise me. I think White is the 2nd best back in the draft, so it would not be a bad pick, IMO.

djfresh47 said:
I don't know what the Packers will do, but taking a running back would not surprise me. I think White is the 2nd best back in the draft, so it would not be a bad pick, IMO.

They also have one of the worst defenses in the league and passing on AJ Hawk wouldn't make much sense.

General Tso said:
Unless you know Saban, you haven't "heard" the Dolphins' opinion on Cutler, you've heard pure speculation. Last year many "heard" we were taking Edwards.

Saban knows what everyone else does... this team is going nowhere without a serious upgrade at QB. Whether Cutler is that QB or not remains to be seen. Personally I like him, but if he lasts until #16 then I'm wondering why on earth Detroit and Arizona passed on him when their QB problems are just as significant as ours. Of course, I still believe Aaron Rodgers was the best QB last year and as good as any QB this year... and he made it all the way to #24.
Obviosly I don't know Saban, but I have read reports from sources that say Miami's FO likes him. Obviously this may just be speculation, but it may have some truth. I personally don't see what there is not to like about the kid and if I were running the team I would do what it takes to get him. We can't just let another year go by without getting our QB of the future. Could we get one later on in the draft? Perhaps, but your chances of that player turning into anything go down. Brodie Croyle, Darrell Hackney, Omar Jacobs and company could eventually turn out to be nice QB's but by making sure to get Cutler you have a better chance of ending up with a productive QB.

Back
Top Bottom