My first post - and I need some help! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My first post - and I need some help!

daz34

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Hi all Dolfans!

I'm a fan of the Dolphins from Ireland, and have been since the early 80s when nfl was being shown on British tv. I followed the game pretty closely for a number of years before drifting away from it, but this last year I have rediscovered my interest - but I find some things have changed!

Ok, so it's been easy enough working out what a 2-point conversion is (didn't have them back then), but what I'd like to find is some kind of explanation of all this stuff that takes place at this time of year: free agents, unrestricted/restricted, salary caps...I don't remember any of this stuff. Can someone please explain or direct me to a decent website? Thanks.

One final thought: the Dolphins should cut their losses with Ricky Williams and get rid of him. Character is needed to win, not just talent.

Hi all Dolfans!

I'm a fan of the Dolphins from Ireland, and have been since the early 80s when nfl was being shown on British tv. I followed the game pretty closely for a number of years before drifting away from it, but this last year I have rediscovered my interest - but I find some things have changed!

Ok, so it's been easy enough working out what a 2-point conversion is (didn't have them back then), but what I'd like to find is some kind of explanation of all this stuff that takes place at this time of year: free agents, unrestricted/restricted, salary caps...I don't remember any of this stuff. Can someone please explain or direct me to a decent website? Thanks.

One final thought: the Dolphins should cut their losses with Ricky Williams and get rid of him. Character is needed to win, not just talent.

Glad to have you here, it must be hard trying to follow a team when your in another country.

Anyway here is a basic explanation.

Salary Cap: The maximum amount of money a team can spend on players: Example: If the salary cap was 80 million then Miami couldnt spend more than 80 million on players

Free Agent: A player that has reached the end of his contract becomes a free agent. When his contract is out any team can make an offer to him, and he gets to choose which he accepts.

Restricted Free Agent: Also a player that has reached the end of his contract, but in this case his team that he played for last has the rights to him, and if another team outbids them then they receieve a draft pick in return. Example: PlayerX is a restricted free agent from Miami. Miami offers him 870,000 and Tampa offers him 900,000. Miami can choose to either bid higher, or receive a draft pick from Tampa.

Unrestricted Free Agent: A free agent that is not restricted, any team can place a bid on him and he can accept any offer he wants.

Hope that helps some, and welcome to the site.

Hi all Dolfans!

Good morning - welcome to Finheaven. Enjoy the site. The official site of the Dolphins (www.miamidolphins.com) has a football 101 primer. There is also some very good football information on www.about.com.

Welcome to FH! I think Alex answered your question(s) perfectly. As for Ricky, everyones opinion is different with him. As for me, I think Ricky is a good man. All he did was smoke a herb, and his personality doesn't blend well with our culture, so he is being shunned for it. I'd love to have him back. Just my opinion though. Enjoy your stay at FH, glad to have you man.

Welcome aboard.
Ireland is on my list of spots I wanna visit-right up there with Australia.

You will also find this site as being top-notch in regards to learning the ropes.

Welcome man! Don't let the distance put you down on it, we can follow the fins from abroad..just keep in touch with finheaven and it's all good!!

Hi all Dolfans!

Welcome to Finheaven!

Back
Top Bottom