My Mock Draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Mock Draft

Blitz said:
#02 - Alex Smith (QB - Utah)
#46 - Matt Jones (WR - Arkansas) *
#70 - Vernand Morency (RB - Oklahoma State)
4th Round - Michael Munoz (OT - Tennessee)
5th Round - Roger Cooper (LB - Montana State)
5th Round - Marviel Underwood (S - San Diego State) **
6th Round - Ryan Fitzpatrick (QB - Harvard) *
7th Round - Matt Payne (P - BYU)

* - Obtained via trade with Chiefs (Patrick Surtain)
** - Obtained via trade with Rams (Jeff Zgonina)

Commentary:

I think we should either take Smith or forget about drafting a QB on the first day. None of the second-tier QBs impress me much. If we go with Ronnie Brown instead of Smith (I'll be extremely happy with either one), I'd like to see us draft a DT in the third-round. Luis Castillo (Northwestern) would be a great pick at #70. My dream is to draft Smith and have Ricky Williams come back.

Matt Jones has the potential to be the best player of the class of '05. For crying out loud, the man is 6'6", 240 LB, and runs the 40 in 4.39 seconds! I'll go nuts if we obtain him in the second-round. How are teams going to defend Chris Chambers, Matt Jones, Randy McMichael, Marty Booker, and Ricky Williams (Or Ronnie Brown)?

I'm not sure Morency is going to fall to #70, but if he doesn't then I'm sure either Marion Barber (Minnesota) or Eric Shelton (Louisville) will still be on the board. I'd be happy with either one. I especially love the speed that Shelton has considering his size. If we draft Smith, I believe we need to grab a RB on day one whether or not Ricky Williams has told Saban that he's going to come back and be 100% committed. We cannot rely on Ricky Williams. Even if Ricky does not come back, I feel we'll be solid at RB next year with a rotation of Morency (Or Shelton or Barber), Morris, Gordon, and possibly Minor. However, if Ricky does come back and we draft Morency, Shelton, or Barber, then we'll have one of the best RB combos in the league after Ricky serves his four-game suspension.

Michael Munoz, the son of Hall of Fame OT Anthony Munoz, would probably be a solid backup this season. If he's half as talented as his father was in his prime, he'll be a starter someday. Sounds like a good pick in the fourth-round.

Roger Cooper sounds like a raw talent who has the potential to eventually develop into an exceptional starter (And let's face it: Junior and Zach are not going to stumble upon the Fountain of Youth). Sounds like a nice project for Coach Saban and Co.

We ought to draft a safety, and Marviel Underwood sounds like a capable backup/special teams player. From what I've heard, he can do everything fairly well, but nothing great. Sounds like your average fifth-round pick.

I think it's safe to say that Rosenfels will be cut if we draft Alex Smith. I think it's also safe to say that Feeley is history after this season if he doesn't pull a Drew Brees. As such, I like the idea of spending a sixth or seventh-round pick on a smart, successful QB who may develop into our backup QB a couple of seasons from now. I think Fitzpatrick fits the bill (It's worth noting that he's only the second person in NFL history to score a perfect 50 on his Wonderlic, which indicates he has the smarts to play the position). He could spend this year on our practice squad, be our third-string QB in '06, and hopefully prove that he has the ability to be our backup QB in '07 and beyond.

I like what I've heard about Matt Payne. He probably won't beat out Matt Turk, but at the very least he'll provide some competition at the position during training camp. Let's not forget that we're talking about a seventh-round pick. Perhaps he'll prove to be nearly as good as Turk (Let's not forget Turk's age). If so, we could create a little bit of cap space by replacing him with the much cheaper rookie punter. If he isn't nearly as good as Turk, we're out a seventh-round pick. Big deal. From what I've heard, Payne certainly has the potential to play in the league next year. I'd give him a shot.

You can't draft a QB in the 1st make him your starter. then draft a QB in the 6th and have him learn from your 1st round pick to be groomed into a backup roll. You just can't have that much lack of experience at the QB position it just does not work this is the NFL not madden. Also Fitzpatrick thinks he has a shot to eventually start in the NFL if we drafted smith and him he would most likely not sign. if you take that two QB think out of your draft it may not be that bad.

godfater21 said:
You can't draft a QB in the 1st make him your starter.

Obviously Frerotte or Feeley will almost surely be our starter this year. If we draft Smith, Rosenfels is history. If we draft Smith and Fitzpatrick, we could put Fitzpatrick on our practice squad for a year, and have Smith be our third-string QB for the year. If Feeley ends up stinking this year, we could cut him next offseason, and head into the '06 season with Smith as our starter, Frerotte as our backup, and Fitzpatrick as our third-string QB.

then draft a QB in the 6th and have him learn from your 1st round pick to be groomed into a backup roll. You just can't have that much lack of experience at the QB position it just does not work this is the NFL not madden.

Jason Garrett (our QBs coach), and Gus Frerotte would groom Smith this year, and Fitzpatrick in '06.

Also Fitzpatrick thinks he has a shot to eventually start in the NFL if we drafted smith and him he would most likely not sign.

I don't think he's going to sit out an entire year no matter what team drafts him. I doubt he'll ever be a full-time starter in the league. I can see him being an above-average backup someday, though. A sixth-round pick for a solid, long-time backup QB is a good investment. Hopefully it'll work out that way.

Blitz said:
we could put Fitzpatrick on our practice squad for a year

If he is on the Practice squad any team in the league could sign him off of it. so we would draft him just to lose him to another team.

godfater21 said:
If he is on the Practice squad any team in the league could sign him off of it. so we would draft him just to lose him to another team.

I'm not sure any team would be interested in taking him off it after going through training camp and the pre-season. We could always go with four QBs on our roster, although that may be a bit too much.

I am not sold on saying someone is going to be a good quarterback because he scored a 50 on the wunderlic test. That test is used for a variety of jobs. I even had to take it and believe me, it does not mean anything special.

Back
Top Bottom