My Notes on the Senior Bowl game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Notes on the Senior Bowl game

killswitch

engage
Reaction score
Below are notes of the game I made while watching it. I did fail to keep up and missed some significant notes on some significant plays. Each bullet is from observations of a single play and it is in order of how the game went. Each set of bullets is a possession (these notes aren’t complete at all as I missed plenty of stuff so take it for what it is)

• Cutler – squares his shoulder well
  • C. Griffin – impressive pick over Hagan on a deep drag; ran step for step with him the whole way across the middle of the field

• Chad Greenway – unbelievable speed and angle on a 30-yd gain Sinorice Moss reverse (1st play for South offense)
  • North O-line dominating
  • Cutler stepping up in pocket well
  • Dominique Byrd solid block squaring body into chest of LB Spencer Havner sealing off right end for Humes - 8:46, 1st, C. Humes run
  • (same play – Greg Blue – incredible tackle leading with his head cutting C. Humes on his left hip)
  • Good coverage by T. Howard next play covering back on 5-yd comeback route breaking up for incomplete pass

• Sinorice Moss nice slight extension catch over right shoulder back right corner of endzone; great throw by Croyle, wind carried it (as he said) and almost took it out of endzone to be uncatchable, but Moss made the great play; Tye Hill in coverage looked back to find ball and failed to keep dropping deep with Moss
  • Hank Baskett fails to down the punt that landed within the 5 bounced up and into endzone; wind seemed to make it a difficult play

• Whitehurst – completion low near feet to TE Klopfenstein who slightly dived for it up the seam, but seemed tentative in his throw not truly stepping through
  • LB Wilkinson – solid angle tackling back in flats; good play by teammates to stretch the run out as Wilkinson ran free to the ball
  • Whitehurst – bad trajectory and weak completion to left side 7-yard out; announcer describes it’s without question because of the wind for why the balls seem to be slow and dipping
  • Klopfenstein great coordination; leaps over incredible coverage by T. Howard who even also showed great technique in finding the ball, just looked a tad to lat, but that was mainly due to the perfect timing by Whitehurst

• Good discipline to stay in lanes by 3 South D-lineman as QB Michael Robinson is tackled in backfield
  • Max Jean-Gilles - quick recognition, reaction time, and slight display of good body control on a pull to the right, squaring up and shielding DE Manny Lawson
  • Shockley drops back, scrambles to his left, opens up and throws wobbly ball into double coverage and it’s picked by #4 from WVU

• Hagan drops 2nd pass of day right at him. 1st-comeback route – tried to cradle it in chest where it bounces off him; 2nd-out-route to sideline, ball comes in before he really he’s really ready b/c head not turned around (could be bad timing by QB, too early possibly) and hits off hands
  • Byrd completion up the seam again; good catch with hands above head; Whitehurst makes the throw
  • Freddie Roach – physical tackle on right near LOS
  • Orien Harris good speed when running free up the middle forcing hurried incompletion by Whitehurst
  • Whitehurst – again throw looks weak on 8-yd comeback route completion (due to the wind)
  • North recovers muffed punt for TD

• Gabe Watson double-teamed by C and LG and neutralized as C (#68 I think – Mike DeGory) got under him and extended arms locking him up
  • Gabe Watson next play – great shed of block beating his opponent’s right side tackling Shockley on a QB draw for no gain

• Michael Robinson – runs to outside, stiff-arming LB Havner who took poor angle, about a 15+ yard gain
  • Oregon RB Whitehead physical run up showing good balance while dropping low (run to the right middle for 10+ yd gain)
  • Robinson hurried by DL Haralson from Tennessee who quickly beats his RT forcing sailed pass

• Norwood tackled by Abdul Hodge who mirrors the RB not allowing him to turn corner (no gain)

• Big hit by NC ST safety Marcus Hudson in middle of field, hitting receiver under chin forcing incomplete pass as another defender was also in coverage

• Tapp from VT hurries Shockley, throws ball sailing over 5-yd target in middle-right of field (similar pass to when Robinson threw the interception), tipped by defender behind the target, ball falls backward into hands of OT Marcus McNeill who runs for a few yards and strung out to sideline finally tackled by multiple defenders

• 2nd Half

• Not great agility/change of direction by RB Andre Hall squaring up to his right cutting it back behind O-lineman getting tackled for 2-yd gain
  • Hackney throws to right as ball sails and no one in area
  • #77 RG Max Jean-Gilles squared up against opponent not allowing any penetration on contact

• Robinson roles out to left, throws to a drag, ball floats incomplete (too high) as he’s hurried
  • Jerome Harrison uses blockers well on draw bouncing to outside for about 10-yd gain; seemed to take a little more time than expected getting up to speed after making initial cut near LOS to bounce it outside; but showed fluid quick movements when up to speed
  • DE Anderson from Alabama beat D’brick Ferguson to inside for sack; seemed like Ferguson was cheating to the outside right off the snap and the DE caught him off guard
  • Robinson roll out left, throws to drag route TE Klopfenstein, big hit wrapping up by S Roman Harper coming from over the top
  • Robinson scrambles, gets to right sideline, long 20+ yard gain, big hit by LB Freddie Roach hitting QB up high near goalline

• Hackney play action, roll out to right completion; solid throw a little low, good catch by WR
  • Run to right side of field, great angle and wrap up tackle by LB D’Qwell Jackson near legs and hips of opponent driving him backwards
  • Will Blackmon muffs punt, recovered by South team
  • Hackney steps up into pocket well and completes to Marcedes Lewis to right for 15+ yd gain; ineligible player downfield, so play wiped out; good play by Jean-Gilles initially squaring up to Watson then using angle to block him out of play as Hackney steps up
  • Slant catch by Sinorice Moss; great, quick snag; perfect accuracy by Hackney
  • Will Blackmon beat on a flag by WR Aromashodu; solid play by Jean-Gilles to ride DT out of play as Hackney steps up into a hit and releases a solid ball for the TD

• Mike Bell bounces off tackle for 10 yd gain to the left side
  • Whitehurst sacked by DT Kyle Williams from LSU; great swim move, impressive speed to the QB Whitehurst after disengaging

• DeAngelo Williams burst through for 40-yd gain on screen showing impressive speed and quickness and finishing off the run with power
  • Brodie Croyle sacked by DE Tamba Hali (2nd of day) extending arms through defender running through block to QB; too quick for RG to help out

• RB Whitehead runs to left, big hole, fails get by LB Gerris Wilkinson’s arm tackle to break a long one; looked like he should’ve broken it for a long gain
  • Whitehead carries for 3rd time in a row, runs to left end, great explosive wrap up tackle by CB K. Jennings from Miami (Fl)
  • Domique Byrd drops ball up seam; solid pass by Cutler who has all day; Byrd seemingly concerned about defender over the top which probably caused drop
  • Cutler scrambles to right, throws great ball on run 15 yds down field to WR coming back near the sideline who drops it
  • Muffed punt by Jerrious Norwood, recovered by North
  • Hagan catches 7-yd TD slant from perfect throw by Cutler for TD

• Croyle, after overthrowing a deep ball, scrambles to left, sets up, throws deep downfield, and a jump ball between the WR intercepted by Anwar Phillips who runs is back about 50 yds; Croyle failed to lead the WR, and probably forced a bad decision

• Great block by #54 RG Marvin Philip from California as he drives #92 Oreien Harris back 5 yds, as RB Harrison runs behind the block for 6 yds
  • Harrison bounces run outside breaking LB tackle (I think #51 Travis Williams)
  • Harrison shows quick shifty feet making multiple defenders miss, juking out DeMeco Ryans among others for 5 yd gain near goalline, using blockers well

• General Conclusions
    • DeAngelo Williams was cut above the rest of the RB’s no question
    • Jay Cutler throws a beautiful ball and seemed to have great awareness in the pocket
    • Max Jean-Gilles was very impressive
    • The North O-line for the most part controlled the South D-line
    • The WR’s in general dropped way too many balls in the game, just like I’ve been reading all week
    • D’Qwell Jackson (LB from Maryland) made some real physical tackles and seemed real explosive
    • Brodie Croyle has a real quick wrist snap and has an amazingly strong arm it seems
    • Hackney at 5’11 seemed helpless on a couple of plays due to his lack of height which resulted in incomplete passes that were near no one, but he releases the ball at 12:00 and managed a solid TD drive by the South; I think he’ll make it as a 3rd-string/backup QB in this league and I expect him to be drafted around the 6th round; he stepped up in the pocket well and threw some crisp accurate passes
    • Overall, this was a pretty entertaining Senior Bowl and was nice and physical; unfortunately, I didn’t tape it, so I can’t go back and focus on some players, so there were obviously plenty of things I missed

good breakdown. i too was impressed with cutler's pocket presence. however on a play or two he did panic under pressure and made a poor throw, although not a bad decision. this shows me he knows WHAT to do when things go wrong, but not HOW to do it....YET. he'll need to learn all of these things in the NFL.

Sounds like Whitehurst was pretty weak while Cutler was strong. ?

You forgot 6 out of 19....32% comp rating....I'm glad he squares his shoulders well and steps up in the pocket....but it take alot more than that to be a top ten player.

fishypete said:
You forgot 6 out of 19....32% comp rating....I'm glad he squares his shoulders well and steps up in the pocket....but it take alot more than that to be a top ten player.
he's an intriguing project at QB. all the physical tools are there. it's a risk to take a guy like him or vince young that high because there's more potential than a sure thing.

Juan Cribbs said:
he's an intriguing project at QB. all the physical tools are there. it's a risk to take a guy like him or vince young that high because there's more potential than a sure thing.

And the late round QB's such at Whitehurst, Jacobs, and Croyle have the same risk. Thats the reason why I would much rather get a later round developmental guy than a 1st guy project. If there is a can't miss guy I'd be all for it, but I really don't know if Cutler is can't miss.

Here is my two cents about the QBs in the game:

Cutler: He had a bad day. There were some throws that the WRs should have caught, but he was off most of the time. You could see that he had good instincts at QB. But if you took away all the hype about him, and just looked at his play on the field, he didn't separate himself from the other QBs. I do not see him going top 10 in the draft.

Whitehurst: This guy had the best passing day. The guy was just picking the defense apart most of the day. He looked like he had good instincts for QB too. I think this guy may have moved up a few notches based on his performance in the game.

Croyle: He started the game out well, but died off towards the end. He looks like he has some ability, but I question his durability and how well he will play at the NFL level. I don't see how he could be a first round pick, but I think someone will draft him as a developmental guy.

Robinson: This was an interesting player. I believe he was from Penn State. They had him playing alot of different positions, and were questioning his ability to play QB before the game began. I thought he played really well, especially with his feet. He probably helped his position in the draft because he is the type of player that could help a team in more ways than one. He will be another developmental guy.

Hackney: This is another developmental guy. I really liked the way he stood in there and took the hit on that TD pass. He looks like a guy that has good QB instincts, but needs some development. He may be able to play at the NFL level.

Those were the only QBs I saw during the game. Cutler seemed WAY overrated. I know he may be better than what he showed in the Senior Bowl. However, I don't see what all the excessive hype is about. Whitehurst impressed me more than Cutler. Whitehurst seems like a big, pocket passing QB. I don't see him as much of a scrambler though. Miami should pass on Croyle. Hackney may be a guy to consider in the later rounds, if Miami doesn't get a QB in the first round. Robinson may not be a player for Miami. Although I do like his football versatility.

I say let the hype swell around Cutler and let other teams manuever to get him. Miami can get stronger talent at a different position (other than QB) with the 16th pick. Then, get Whitehurst in the 2nd round. Do you think Whitehurst would be around in the 2nd round?

Thanks for the write up! I watched most of the game on tape, and here's what I saw.

Cutler: Great arm, but more importantly a blinding release. Decision making was sketchy, especially on the first drive, but I think he forced some passes due to nerves. Cutler's biggest flaw right now is his footwork. His athleticism and strong arm alows him to make throws on the run without proper footwork and balance, but he won't get away with that in the pros. I still put Leinart above Cutler, but only because Leinart is more polished to this point. Cutler could turn out to be the better QB 3 years from now.

Croyle: I really like Croyle as a prospect. I think a year in the weight room and working on some simple fixes will make Croyle a very solid QB. He's got the arm to make all the throws, he understands the game very well, and he's played in a pro-style offense at Alabama. The biggest knocks on Brodie Croyle are the injury history, his slight build, and his carriage of the ball...Croyle carries the ball a little low in his drop, and it slows down his release, but that is a flaw that can be easily corrected. I would be ecstatic to see Croyle in the 2nd round.

Whitehurst: Whitehurst is an intriguing prospect. I don't think his arm strength is on par with Cutler or Croyle, and his release point is unusual (straight over the top). I think it is Whitehurst's release point that causes his ball to arrive a little low in the receiver's hands. Whitehurst does have good instincts, which can't be coached. I think he will go in the 4th to 5th round, and he could end up surprising in a couple of years.

In my opinion, those were the only 3 Qbs with starter potential.

Other thoughts on the game:
--Tamba Hali is going to be a solid DE for some team

--Max Jean-Giles looked very good as a guard prospect. Dominating at times.

--I wish we could get D'Brickashaw Ferguson. He's not dominating at the point of attack like a young Ogden, Pace, or Jones, but Ferguson will not give up many sacks in pass protection. He's just too quick.

--Eric Winston is not ready fro primetime...yet. I don't know if he'll get the lateral movement back that he needs to deal with speed rushers, but I saw more than one man opposite Winston get pressure on the QB with simple moves.

--There are some very good tight end prospects in this draft. I hope McMichael shows some consitency this year.

i loved whitehurst i say he has moved up into late 2nd early 3rd now i say he is better then croyle....cutler looked tight...that is why we dont need a 1st rd qb if ya draft whitehurst give him a year to learn the offense there is no pressure for him like there is on cutler...we need a veteran qb maybe mcnair who knows for ayear to teahc / tutor him it is well worth it imo

saves said:
And the late round QB's such at Whitehurst, Jacobs, and Croyle have the same risk. Thats the reason why I would much rather get a later round developmental guy than a 1st guy project. If there is a can't miss guy I'd be all for it, but I really don't know if Cutler is can't miss.
i don't think croyle needs as much developing as the other guys. along with leinart, i think he's the most prepared to start right away. but i see your point. i don't think cutler is good enough for the top 10, and i think the only teams that should draft him are the ones that have time to let him develop. it's hard to keep a first rounder from any position on the bench, though, which may end to the eventual downfall of him and possibly vince young.

killswitch said:
Below are notes of the game I made while watching it. I did fail to keep up and missed some significant notes on some significant plays. Each bullet is from observations of a single play and it is in order of how the game went. Each set of bullets is a possession (these notes aren’t complete at all as I missed plenty of stuff so take it for what it is)

• Cutler – squares his shoulder well
  • C. Griffin – impressive pick over Hagan on a deep drag; ran step for step with him the whole way across the middle of the field

• Chad Greenway – unbelievable speed and angle on a 30-yd gain Sinorice Moss reverse (1st play for South offense)
  • North O-line dominating
  • Cutler stepping up in pocket well
  • Dominique Byrd solid block squaring body into chest of LB Spencer Havner sealing off right end for Humes - 8:46, 1st, C. Humes run
  • (same play – Greg Blue – incredible tackle leading with his head cutting C. Humes on his left hip)
  • Good coverage by T. Howard next play covering back on 5-yd comeback route breaking up for incomplete pass

• Sinorice Moss nice slight extension catch over right shoulder back right corner of endzone; great throw by Croyle, wind carried it (as he said) and almost took it out of endzone to be uncatchable, but Moss made the great play; Tye Hill in coverage looked back to find ball and failed to keep dropping deep with Moss
  • Hank Baskett fails to down the punt that landed within the 5 bounced up and into endzone; wind seemed to make it a difficult play

• Whitehurst – completion low near feet to TE Klopfenstein who slightly dived for it up the seam, but seemed tentative in his throw not truly stepping through
  • LB Wilkinson – solid angle tackling back in flats; good play by teammates to stretch the run out as Wilkinson ran free to the ball
  • Whitehurst – bad trajectory and weak completion to left side 7-yard out; announcer describes it’s without question because of the wind for why the balls seem to be slow and dipping
  • Klopfenstein great coordination; leaps over incredible coverage by T. Howard who even also showed great technique in finding the ball, just looked a tad to lat, but that was mainly due to the perfect timing by Whitehurst

• Good discipline to stay in lanes by 3 South D-lineman as QB Michael Robinson is tackled in backfield
  • Max Jean-Gilles - quick recognition, reaction time, and slight display of good body control on a pull to the right, squaring up and shielding DE Manny Lawson
  • Shockley drops back, scrambles to his left, opens up and throws wobbly ball into double coverage and it’s picked by #4 from WVU

• Hagan drops 2nd pass of day right at him. 1st-comeback route – tried to cradle it in chest where it bounces off him; 2nd-out-route to sideline, ball comes in before he really he’s really ready b/c head not turned around (could be bad timing by QB, too early possibly) and hits off hands
  • Byrd completion up the seam again; good catch with hands above head; Whitehurst makes the throw
  • Freddie Roach – physical tackle on right near LOS
  • Orien Harris good speed when running free up the middle forcing hurried incompletion by Whitehurst
  • Whitehurst – again throw looks weak on 8-yd comeback route completion (due to the wind)
  • North recovers muffed punt for TD

• Gabe Watson double-teamed by C and LG and neutralized as C (#68 I think – Mike DeGory) got under him and extended arms locking him up
  • Gabe Watson next play – great shed of block beating his opponent’s right side tackling Shockley on a QB draw for no gain

• Michael Robinson – runs to outside, stiff-arming LB Havner who took poor angle, about a 15+ yard gain
  • Oregon RB Whitehead physical run up showing good balance while dropping low (run to the right middle for 10+ yd gain)
  • Robinson hurried by DL Haralson from Tennessee who quickly beats his RT forcing sailed pass

• Norwood tackled by Abdul Hodge who mirrors the RB not allowing him to turn corner (no gain)

• Big hit by NC ST safety Marcus Hudson in middle of field, hitting receiver under chin forcing incomplete pass as another defender was also in coverage

• Tapp from VT hurries Shockley, throws ball sailing over 5-yd target in middle-right of field (similar pass to when Robinson threw the interception), tipped by defender behind the target, ball falls backward into hands of OT Marcus McNeill who runs for a few yards and strung out to sideline finally tackled by multiple defenders

• 2nd Half

• Not great agility/change of direction by RB Andre Hall squaring up to his right cutting it back behind O-lineman getting tackled for 2-yd gain
  • Hackney throws to right as ball sails and no one in area
  • #77 RG Max Jean-Gilles squared up against opponent not allowing any penetration on contact

• Robinson roles out to left, throws to a drag, ball floats incomplete (too high) as he’s hurried
  • Jerome Harrison uses blockers well on draw bouncing to outside for about 10-yd gain; seemed to take a little more time than expected getting up to speed after making initial cut near LOS to bounce it outside; but showed fluid quick movements when up to speed
  • DE Anderson from Alabama beat D’brick Ferguson to inside for sack; seemed like Ferguson was cheating to the outside right off the snap and the DE caught him off guard
  • Robinson roll out left, throws to drag route TE Klopfenstein, big hit wrapping up by S Roman Harper coming from over the top
  • Robinson scrambles, gets to right sideline, long 20+ yard gain, big hit by LB Freddie Roach hitting QB up high near goalline

• Hackney play action, roll out to right completion; solid throw a little low, good catch by WR
  • Run to right side of field, great angle and wrap up tackle by LB D’Qwell Jackson near legs and hips of opponent driving him backwards
  • Will Blackmon muffs punt, recovered by South team
  • Hackney steps up into pocket well and completes to Marcedes Lewis to right for 15+ yd gain; ineligible player downfield, so play wiped out; good play by Jean-Gilles initially squaring up to Watson then using angle to block him out of play as Hackney steps up
  • Slant catch by Sinorice Moss; great, quick snag; perfect accuracy by Hackney
  • Will Blackmon beat on a flag by WR Aromashodu; solid play by Jean-Gilles to ride DT out of play as Hackney steps up into a hit and releases a solid ball for the TD

• Mike Bell bounces off tackle for 10 yd gain to the left side
  • Whitehurst sacked by DT Kyle Williams from LSU; great swim move, impressive speed to the QB Whitehurst after disengaging

• DeAngelo Williams burst through for 40-yd gain on screen showing impressive speed and quickness and finishing off the run with power
  • Brodie Croyle sacked by DE Tamba Hali (2nd of day) extending arms through defender running through block to QB; too quick for RG to help out

• RB Whitehead runs to left, big hole, fails get by LB Gerris Wilkinson’s arm tackle to break a long one; looked like he should’ve broken it for a long gain
  • Whitehead carries for 3rd time in a row, runs to left end, great explosive wrap up tackle by CB K. Jennings from Miami (Fl)
  • Domique Byrd drops ball up seam; solid pass by Cutler who has all day; Byrd seemingly concerned about defender over the top which probably caused drop
  • Cutler scrambles to right, throws great ball on run 15 yds down field to WR coming back near the sideline who drops it
  • Muffed punt by Jerrious Norwood, recovered by North
  • Hagan catches 7-yd TD slant from perfect throw by Cutler for TD

• Croyle, after overthrowing a deep ball, scrambles to left, sets up, throws deep downfield, and a jump ball between the WR intercepted by Anwar Phillips who runs is back about 50 yds; Croyle failed to lead the WR, and probably forced a bad decision

• Great block by #54 RG Marvin Philip from California as he drives #92 Oreien Harris back 5 yds, as RB Harrison runs behind the block for 6 yds
  • Harrison bounces run outside breaking LB tackle (I think #51 Travis Williams)
  • Harrison shows quick shifty feet making multiple defenders miss, juking out DeMeco Ryans among others for 5 yd gain near goalline, using blockers well

• General Conclusions
    • DeAngelo Williams was cut above the rest of the RB’s no question
    • Jay Cutler throws a beautiful ball and seemed to have great awareness in the pocket
    • Max Jean-Gilles was very impressive
    • The North O-line for the most part controlled the South D-line
    • The WR’s in general dropped way too many balls in the game, just like I’ve been reading all week
    • D’Qwell Jackson (LB from Maryland) made some real physical tackles and seemed real explosive
    • Brodie Croyle has a real quick wrist snap and has an amazingly strong arm it seems
    • Hackney at 5’11 seemed helpless on a couple of plays due to his lack of height which resulted in incomplete passes that were near no one, but he releases the ball at 12:00 and managed a solid TD drive by the South; I think he’ll make it as a 3rd-string/backup QB in this league and I expect him to be drafted around the 6th round; he stepped up in the pocket well and threw some crisp accurate passes
    • Overall, this was a pretty entertaining Senior Bowl and was nice and physical; unfortunately, I didn’t tape it, so I can’t go back and focus on some players, so there were obviously plenty of things I missed

Thanx dude :up:

Back
Top Bottom