My off-season game plan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My off-season game plan

PhinfanBo1

Scout Team
Reaction score
No matter who our new VP is going to be, Rick Spielman is still the man in charge of personnel, and we have gotten a whole lot better in terms of the offensive staff that are going to have their minds set on creating a much better offensive attack. With that said, this is what we need to do.

1) Trade for Drew Henson. The present is one thing and with the right moves this could be a championship football team in the next year or two, but we still need to look at the big picture. Argue it all you want, this kid has all the tools and he is a potential franchise player with a great arm, good athletic ability and maturity. I would trade the 3rd round pick this year, and a first rounder next year for him.

2) Sign Mark Brunell. He is a perfect stop-gap player. Experienced, hungry for a title, good arm and a nice athlete that can throw on the run. He makes far fewer mistakes than Fiedler, and is much more consistent with the deep ball.

3) Re-sign Todd Wade. Continuity is very important on the offensive line, and Wade, while not grea, is a solid right tackle and the best option for this football team. This line is not that far away, it's about adding another free agent interior lineman, getting a good tackle who can play both sides, and allowing Wade Smith to mature, Jamie Nails to have another year to regain his ability, and Seth McKinney to fill the Center position.

4) Trade Adewale Ogunleye for a late 1st and a late 3rd; somebody will give us that. He is a great young player but our defense will still be very good without him and we simply need too much help to keep him, and do not have the money to keep him. This would give us 2 1st's, and 2 3rd's; plenty of ammunition come draft day.

5) Sign a solid, young guard like Jeno James or Eric Beverly. Neither of these players would cost too much, and they are both solid players that would improve the interior of our line. Like I said, an overhaul is not needed. Tim Ruddy needs to be out, same goes for Todd Perry. Replacing those two with one of these guard's and McKinney, and then drafting a lineman early would give us a line that still has continuity and will be much better.

6) Use the twentieth pick to draft a WR like Mark Clayton or Rashaun Woods. Grab somebody like Max Starks to back up both tackle spots, and maybe even start at guard if Nails doesn't improve.

7) Use the two 3rd rounders on a pass rusher, and a linebacker to add some youth, determination and depth to the defense. Grab a kick returner, and maybe a safety later on in the draft.

8) Release Ruddy, Perry (which I mentioned), Fiedler, Griese, McKnight, and Marino. Re-structure Tim Bowens and Sam Madison. By doing this at the start of the off-season, we could have the necessary money to manuever and bring in a free agent like Brunell/Beverly, and pay a guy like Henson.

Sounds great..except for this little thing..

"I would trade the 3rd round pick this year"...then "Use the two 3rd rounders on a pass rusher, and a linebacker"

If Miami traded their 3rd pick this year...they would only have one left.

Otherwise...I agree completely!

My main points would be...

1. Rivers at pick #20

2. Keeping Ogunleye to keep the defense dominant

3. Re-signing Sage Rosenfels to a 3 year contract (he's an RFA)

4. Sign Ricky Ray from the CFL (he's interested in Miami first and foremost).

5. Draft a WR or OL in round 3 (Deverey Henderson?)

6. Let Todd Wade move on.

7. Cut Tim Ruddy, Brock Marion, and James McKnight.

8. Spend whatever money you have in FA on RT and LG/RG.

Mainly I think about this with a little logic. We brought in two top guys at WR and QB coach. I honestly think that means we don't really need to talk about spending money on WR and QB. Sage has been here long enough, its high time we gave him the opportunity to start because he's been gettin screwed not because of what he produced on the field in practice or preseason, but rather because of front office agendas and circumstance. Let him battle Ricky Ray for the starting job with a Phil Rivers sitting behind. If either Sage or Ricky ends up starting, and doing well, bam there you go you have a guy who you can trade to another team for a 3rd, 2nd, maybe even 1st rounder. We may now have some bonus guys at QB and WR coach but our OL coach Tony Wise still hasn't proved jack squat to me so thats why I say spend the money on OL.

As for the guys we cut, McKnight can be replaced by Newson/Tolver/Simmons or whoever we draft. Ruddy replaced by McKinney, and I also think its high time we let Arturo Freeman start again at his natural position of free safety. We've already got one slow footed safety in Knight, we don't need to keep playing Marion there now that he's lost a few steps. Its just not good for the system we run.

As for Ogun you keep him here and you assure this defensive line's dominance for year's to come. It amazes me how many people take him for granted and forget how much our defense suffered in 2001 when we couldn't generate a semi-decent passrush because Trace had left for Oakland. The LDE spot was manned by Mixon and Brommell, and our D genuinely suffered from lack of passrush...I especially remember against the Rams we couldn't generate ANY pressure and Warner sat back and picked us apart. I remember in 2002 we also suffered from an inconsistent passrush because Ogunleye hadn't come into his own yet...led to horrible defensive performances against the likes of the Chiefs, Patriots (2nd time), Bills, and Vikings.

IMO the focus should be on getting a QB. I've been saying Rivers or Henson, but I'm starting to get leery of Henson. Pitt pulled out b/c it seems the demands are excessive from both the Texans and Henson for a player that hasn't played since 2000. A high draftpick(s) and a big dollars is too much risk that could sink this team for seasons to come. My plan would be:

QB: draft Rivers and sign Ray. I don't care who the vet is Sage, JF, Brunnel, Garcia or Kitna whoever can be had for reasonable dollars and the coaches think can do the job.

OL: Shore up the interior by re-signing Nails and signing James or Beverly. Retain Wade if possible or look at Clifton.

DL: re-sign Ogun and restructure TimBo.

WR: My first choice is Warrick should he become available, but don't break the bank for anybody. In general I'd look for speed and if possible someone who can return.

DB: release Marion re-sign Freeman; restructure and/or pay cut others.

3rd RD: draft OL or WR, I really like Devery Henderson, but several should players should be available at these positions.

K: Olindo pay cut.

I'm more toward the initial poster, aside from keeping wade since hell want some undeserved dollars(use them on someone better)

trade next years picks for henson

sign brunell

let ogun walk(preferably 1st/3rd tender)-D can still be dominant without him, we've had success with many people alongside JT

draft clayton/carey, or trade one of the 1st rounders to accumulate more picks
QB-brunell, henson, sage or ricky ray
O-Line: Wade Smith, Jamie Nails, Mckinney, Vernon Carey(or one of our other young guys, Whitley, Yates, Jerman, etc...), FA Right tackle (tait, clifton?)
WR:Clayton, Chambers, Free agent Northcutt to return kicks and be the slot guy
TE: McMike and Lee
VERY YOUNG AND TALENTED ON OFFENSE, can leave it alone in the draft for a while since we do need to get younger on D.

Only other offensive position id draft the rest of the way is either an OT like Jacob rogers or a sleeper WR (johnnie morant), or WR that can double as kick returner if we dont sign a guy like northcutt.

3rd round draft picks could be along the line of Jacob Rogers OT, Isaac Sapagoa DT. Get a safety on day 2 of the draft (dexter reid?) maybe take a late flier on someone like jason gethers to return kicks and do a little bit of everything.

Restructuring/pay cuts for many: Release Ruddy, Perry, Wade, Fiedler, Griese, McKnight, and Marion. Re-structure Tim Bowens(said hed practically play for free) and Sam Madison(also williing) and some others on defense.

Anyone know what freeman would be asking for in terms of contract demands, think i'd rather go younger with him than marion, and i think he can do the job, just not sure what the price would be.

In agree with the original post!! However I would change one thing. I dont see the need to draft a Lb in the 3rd with jenkins, moore and greenwood fairly young. I would prefer to go FS earlier to replace Marion in the next year or so. Otherwise I love it, e mail Spielman.:rolleyes:

1) FA: Target T.Owens and Isaac Bruce and Damien Woody
Even if we drafted a wide reciever in the first round history shows MOST Wr's need a year or 2 to adjust to the pro game. S Mckinney could not unseat an ineffective Ruddy last year he will NOT be a significant upgrade. Woody would represent a major upgrade at a critical position.

2) Sign Mark Brunell he could be a reluctant mentor to either Phil Rivers or Drew Henson. We could get at best one good year from him.

3) Resign T.Wade and draft at least 2 offensive lineman in the draft and scour the leauge for some up and coming young lineman that have potential.

4) Trade Adewale Ogunleye for a 1st round pick. His 15 sacks were not the difference maker in wining or losing last year. We NEED a total infusion of NEW talent on offense.

5) Draft at 20 P. Rivers and use the other 1st rounder to get either a Wide reciever or a top lineman.

6) Drop Perry,Fiedler,Griese, Ruddy.

Last edited by a moderator:
TO MR. HAHAHHHAHAH

OBVIOUSLY we would not get BOTH Owens AND Bruce, but either one would be a significant upgrade!

Originally posted by ckparrothead
My main points would be...

1. Rivers at pick #20

2. Keeping Ogunleye to keep the defense dominant

3. Re-signing Sage Rosenfels to a 3 year contract (he's an RFA)

4. Sign Ricky Ray from the CFL (he's interested in Miami first and foremost).

5. Draft a WR or OL in round 3 (Deverey Henderson?)

6. Let Todd Wade move on.

7. Cut Tim Ruddy, Brock Marion, and James McKnight.

8. Spend whatever money you have in FA on RT and LG/RG.

Mainly I think about this with a little logic. We brought in two top guys at WR and QB coach. I honestly think that means we don't really need to talk about spending money on WR and QB. Sage has been here long enough, its high time we gave him the opportunity to start because he's been gettin screwed not because of what he produced on the field in practice or preseason, but rather because of front office agendas and circumstance. Let him battle Ricky Ray for the starting job with a Phil Rivers sitting behind. If either Sage or Ricky ends up starting, and doing well, bam there you go you have a guy who you can trade to another team for a 3rd, 2nd, maybe even 1st rounder. We may now have some bonus guys at QB and WR coach but our OL coach Tony Wise still hasn't proved jack squat to me so thats why I say spend the money on OL.

As for the guys we cut, McKnight can be replaced by Newson/Tolver/Simmons or whoever we draft. Ruddy replaced by McKinney, and I also think its high time we let Arturo Freeman start again at his natural position of free safety. We've already got one slow footed safety in Knight, we don't need to keep playing Marion there now that he's lost a few steps. Its just not good for the system we run.

As for Ogun you keep him here and you assure this defensive line's dominance for year's to come. It amazes me how many people take him for granted and forget how much our defense suffered in 2001 when we couldn't generate a semi-decent passrush because Trace had left for Oakland. The LDE spot was manned by Mixon and Brommell, and our D genuinely suffered from lack of passrush...I especially remember against the Rams we couldn't generate ANY pressure and Warner sat back and picked us apart. I remember in 2002 we also suffered from an inconsistent passrush because Ogunleye hadn't come into his own yet...led to horrible defensive performances against the likes of the Chiefs, Patriots (2nd time), Bills, and Vikings.

Good analysis CK, I'm not sure we let T. Wade go, I think we need interior OL, center and another guard, actually I think we still need a LT.

1. Let O-gun go for at least a 1st, maybe a third aswell.

2. Draft Rivers and Carey in round 1

3. Go WR in third - Keary Colbert, Devery Henderson, BJ Johnson, Jerricho Cotchery

4. Rest of draft - as mentioned try to draft Dexter Reid for safety help, Jason Geathers is really interesting.

5. Go after Woody and Bruce in FA. Woody would be pricey. Bruce wants to be near his family in Ft Lauderdale.

6. Keep Fiedler as QB, or sign Brunell if he is that desperate to join us and will accept a short contract. Let's face if we get Rivers (or Henson) no matter how much everyone lovers Brunell (and i don't, btw) we're all gonna wanna see the young guy in 2005.

7. Get rid of Wannstedt end of 2004 season

Originally posted by PhinfanBo1
No matter who our new VP is going to be, Rick Spielman is still the man in charge of personnel, and we have gotten a whole lot better in terms of the offensive staff that are going to have their minds set on creating a much better offensive attack. With that said, this is what we need to do.

1) Trade for Drew Henson. The present is one thing and with the right moves this could be a championship football team in the next year or two, but we still need to look at the big picture. Argue it all you want, this kid has all the tools and he is a potential franchise player with a great arm, good athletic ability and maturity. I would trade the 3rd round pick this year, and a first rounder next year for him.

2) Sign Mark Brunell. He is a perfect stop-gap player. Experienced, hungry for a title, good arm and a nice athlete that can throw on the run. He makes far fewer mistakes than Fiedler, and is much more consistent with the deep ball.

3) Re-sign Todd Wade. Continuity is very important on the offensive line, and Wade, while not grea, is a solid right tackle and the best option for this football team. This line is not that far away, it's about adding another free agent interior lineman, getting a good tackle who can play both sides, and allowing Wade Smith to mature, Jamie Nails to have another year to regain his ability, and Seth McKinney to fill the Center position.

4) Trade Adewale Ogunleye for a late 1st and a late 3rd; somebody will give us that. He is a great young player but our defense will still be very good without him and we simply need too much help to keep him, and do not have the money to keep him. This would give us 2 1st's, and 2 3rd's; plenty of ammunition come draft day.

5) Sign a solid, young guard like Jeno James or Eric Beverly. Neither of these players would cost too much, and they are both solid players that would improve the interior of our line. Like I said, an overhaul is not needed. Tim Ruddy needs to be out, same goes for Todd Perry. Replacing those two with one of these guard's and McKinney, and then drafting a lineman early would give us a line that still has continuity and will be much better.

6) Use the twentieth pick to draft a WR like Mark Clayton or Rashaun Woods. Grab somebody like Max Starks to back up both tackle spots, and maybe even start at guard if Nails doesn't improve.

7) Use the two 3rd rounders on a pass rusher, and a linebacker to add some youth, determination and depth to the defense. Grab a kick returner, and maybe a safety later on in the draft.

8) Release Ruddy, Perry (which I mentioned), Fiedler, Griese, McKnight, and Marino. Re-structure Tim Bowens and Sam Madison. By doing this at the start of the off-season, we could have the necessary money to manuever and bring in a free agent like Brunell/Beverly, and pay a guy like Henson.

I agree with pretty much all of this.. except if Marino meant Marion.. i think we may need to keep him one more year and develop one of our young safties. and Also Mark Clayton should be MICHAEL Clayton but ive been saying to nab him for months!! I want that guy badly... almost as much as i wanted Tyrone Calico last year. (and that i must say was a good judgement on my part because he did very well in TN this season!). I would hate to lose Ogun but as Bo said... it maybe necessary for cap/offense need reasons. But hey... its just my opinion.

:missmeth:

And just another note.. i would LOVE to have my boy JG here (Geathers) he goes to Athletes in Action with me and he is a great guy and i think he would be a great addition as a WR... he likes that position more than RB anyway.

My offseason goal would be to look at 4 key positions and obvious salary cap issues:
QB:
1. Sign Mark Brunell or some other VET FA,
2. Offer Sage Rosenfels a contract or decline and sign Ricky Ray
3. Draft Philip Rivers with the #20 pick.
4. Cut Fiedler and Griese

OL
1. Let Todd Wade sign elsewhere
2. Find a valuable replacement on the Right Side
Tackle=Sign a VET FA who we can afford (Damion McIntosh)
Guard=Chris Viarralli
3. Determine if Taylor Whitley can take over the left guard spot and let Nails walk.
4. Cut Ruddy and allow Mckinnely to start and draft Chris Leckey in the 3rd to backup C/G
5. Keep Yates and Jerman as backups and draft a swing tackle (Brian Rimpf).

WR:
1. Find a "quote on quote" number 2 reciever (Warrick if available)
2. Draft Michael Jenkins with the late first round pick if OGUN leaves. If not draft a WR in the 3rd.
3. Move JR Tolver into the 3rd spot.
4. Cut McKnight, Thompson, Newsom

DB:
1. Restructure two starting CB's (Surtain and Madison)
2. Cut Brock Marion and sign Arturo Freeman as the starting FS to go with a newly restructure deal with Sammy Knight.
3. Sign Terrell Buckley for the Nickel/Dime spot
4. Measure Yeremiah Bell's speed and agility and allow him to compete for backup FS spot.
5. Cut Jamar Fletcher (or trade for a 7th) and allow Alphonso Roundtree and Korey Banks to backup the CB's positions.

Restructures:
Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor, Surtain, Knight

Pay Cuts:
Madison, Tim Bowens, David Bowens, Jay Williams, Junior Seau, Olindo Mare

Contract Extensions:
Chambers, McMichael

Back
Top Bottom