My opinion on the Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My opinion on the Draft

Todd347347

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I am new and I know alot of this is being said but this is how I break down the draft. With our 5 lonely picks with the 2nd overall and a 3rd round pick, there just isn't a mock draft that I can be satisfied with. We just simply don't have enough first day picks to fill our needs. We need a WR, RB, and FS and those are just our obvious needs. We need to draft at least 1 linebacker and we would all like a young QB as well.

I have thought really hard about this and I see people wanting the top 3 running backs and the top two wide receivers. If it was my choice I would choose the top WR, but if we really had a dream draft(IMO) then we trade down not once, maybe twice and hopefully even 3 times. That means we wouldn't get the top tier offensive player everyone is talking about, but we could fill alot of needs. Lets just say we trade down twice picking up 2 2nd rounders. With our first round pick(in low teeens) we still would have a ton of choices, maybe merriman, barron, or a top CB. Then in the second we could pick our wr and running back. If we do trade down the truth is we would probably end up with another 3rd and 4th as well. Personally I love 4th round picks especially early, everyone has a night to ponder and reflect then we pick the best guys left.

I just don't see how we can have a truely successful draft without trading down, and I am very down on the idea of trading surtain. If we do trade him then we have another hole to fill :(

Welcome aboard man. I think many on this board would want to trade down if possible.

hey... welcome.

I used to agree with what your saying... but I am now of the opinion that we have to get one of those top tier offensive talents because Saban isn't planning on going 4-12 again anytime soon.

I would take a RB, probably Ronnie Brown, even though I'd love us to get Mike Williams. We are not in a win now stage despite the ageing defence. We have time to rebuild, and Nick Saban is gna take all the time that he has available to him. Saban is going to implement a defensive system in which he can, over the next few years, integrate rookies into. I honestly think Saban needs two full offseasons, not including this one, to get to where he thinks we should be to compete. The 2007, i know that sounds miles away, Miami Dolphins will, IMO, be a genuine force to reckon with. I think we'll grab Ronnie Brown and David Greene in this draft - in '07 we're gna a good young QB and RB, an offensive line that has played with each other for two good years. Chambers and Booker would still be young (28 & 30), R-Mac will be young. We'll also have a young D with Saban's chosen personel.

2005 Miami Dolphins = 8-8 (we are rebuilding, but Saban is gna keep us respectable)
2007 Miami Dolphins = Super Bowl Champs!!

I really like the idea of taking one of the elite recievers in this draft. While having a Ronnie Brown or one of the other RB would be fine also I can't help but wonder how long these guys play. RB is the shortest career in the NFL and If we pick one up and they are awesome for 3 years and go down then they will be out for a SB run. Linehan has proven over the last few years that he can take a few RB with different skills and morf them into an effective offensive threat (m. Bennet, O. Smith, M. Williams) With the RB depth so great in this draft I can see Miami passing on one of the big 3 and going WR BUT only if they pick up a 2nd rounder somehow.

Like I said in my original post I think if we have to pick at #2 we should take a WR. Minnesota used alot of 3 wr sets and it scares the hell out of me to have thompson as our third WR. Rookie wide recievers in general don't have huge years, and rookie running backs have the potential to be good right off the bat. It seems like everyone assumed(me included til now) when saban said he would draft for the future that he was talking about a QB.. maybe he meant WR...lol

Back
Top Bottom