My Perfect Choice For Our First Pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Perfect Choice For Our First Pick

FinaticalOne

DieHard FinFan 4 Life
Reaction score
I was in class last night, and the professor was boring the mess out of me; so my mind started to wander; thinking about who would be our perfect first round pick. I started to jot down our depth chart and free agent moves made so far this season. Now I will let everyone know, before I put everything down on paper, my thoughts were Chad Greenway, Ernie Simms (if he was there), Santonio Holmes, or Chad Jackson. At the end, I came up with someone different who I wouldn't had considered.

1) The WR position looks like the position that will need one more quality player because an injury to Chambers or Booker would limit our WR corps. So this position will definately need to be considered with our #1 pick if either Santonio Holmes or Chad Jackson are available when we pick.

2) I really think we are ok at the DT position. Our defense is a hybrid 3-4, and although we don't have a prototype NT for the 3-4 yet, I like the prospects of Manny Wright and Kevin Vickerson rotating with Keith Traylor Vonnie Holiday and Jeff Zgonina. Now if Broderick Bunkley is there, I would definately snatch him up. He will be the perfect NT for our D.

Here is what I'm hoping will play out for us:

1) Although this is highly unlikely, but the ideal situation would be to trade down into the late 1rst round and pick up an additional pick/s to give us more versatility with our draft strategy, but I don't think we will be so lucky.

Our Dolphins biggest need is a PASS RUSHING OLB. We need another missile at that position. IMO...Chad Greenway does not fit this mold, he's a differnt type of OLB. This team needs an Ernie Simms, Demeco Ryans, Thomas Howard, Manny Lawson or Kamerion Wimbley. If you think about it this makes absolute sense. You see how persistent we've been with signing Lavar Arrington, and signing him (at the right price) will give us the freedom to look at the WR or DT position in the draft. Our most consistent pass rusher is Jason Taylor, after that; it's a big drop off in consistency. If we can get one more player on the field that can rush consistently, our defense will be top 5 next year. Any of these players I mentioned, I would be very happy with, but the player I'm starting to lean towards is Kamerion Wimbley.

Kamerion Wimbley is the perfect fit for our hybrid 3-4 defense. He is very strong, has good size/speed ratio. He can play DE in the 4-3 and pass rushing OLB in the 3-4. He's the most versatile for our defense out of all the players I mentioned earlier.

Now, of course my opinion may change next week, but this is where I stand today... :lol:

What would be your perfect first round pick, and why?

Good post, I also think a pass rushing OLB is more important than a WR.

Thanx for taking the time to create the post.

Now to touch on a few things.

I agree on the WR comment. Depending on how much the coaching staff falls in love with one of the WR over any other position, I would think they pass for another need to fill.

I disagree about your comment on Bunkley, not that we would pass on him, but that he would be a good NT.

Now the OLB position is defenatly a need as is the Safety spot.

Spray Mucus said:
Thanx for taking the time to create the post.

Now to touch on a few things.

I agree on the WR comment. Depending on how much the coaching staff falls in love with one of the WR over any other position, I would think they pass for another need to fill.

I disagree about your comment on Bunkley, not that we would pass on him, but that he would be a good NT.

Now the OLB position is defenatly a need as is the Safety spot.

That's cool, thanks.

I thought about my NT comment after I posted, and I think Bunkley would make a better 3-4 DE rather than a 3-4 NT.

The safety position is another area of need for us. I just think with all the offseason moves we made in our now crowded secondary; I don't think they will address that position with our first pick. Our #3 or #4 pick probably.

your correct a pass rushing OLB is very important in our scheme. the 3-4 is meant to have the OLB pass rush alot

we should consider WR, OLB, DB, and NT with our first rounder but shall Jay Cutler drop do we take him? I think we look to trade that pick to some team who really wants Cutler

FinaticalOne said:
The safety position is another area of need for us. I just think with all the offseason moves we made in our now crowded secondary; I don't think they will address that position with our first pick. Our #3 or #4 pick probably.

going by my mock, I agree with this comment as well.

But, again it all depends on what the coaching staff thinks of the players available at the time.

If they have a safety still on the board rated as a five star player -vs- the best OLB left as a four star player, you would think that they go with the better player.

Just because we have signed some DB's don't think that position isn't still a concern for this team. Don't think Nick and Randy will pass on an elite talent in the draft because they signed a bunch of DB's who will be fighting for a roster spot.

nick1 said:
we should consider WR, OLB, DB, and NT with our first rounder but shall Jay Cutler drop do we take him? I think we look to trade that pick to some team who really wants Cutler

I would be suprised if Cutler drops to #16.

I say we trade try trading the pick, I'm hoping we have a back up QB signed by then though. Still though, even if we do not have a back up QB at the time, we don't use a #1 pick on a QB unless we are prepared to trade him a year later. Kinda like the SD situation with Brees and Rivers. Only SD screwed that up, they could have gotten a gold mine for Brees before his injury.

Spray Mucus said:
going by my mock, I agree with this comment as well.

But, again it all depends on what the coaching staff thinks of the players available at the time.

If they have a safety still on the board rated as a five star player -vs- the best OLB left as a four star player, you would think that they go with the better player.

Just because we have signed some DB's don't think that position isn't still a concern for this team. Don't think Nick and Randy will pass on an elite talent in the draft because they signed a bunch of DB's who will be fighting for a roster spot.

That's true.

great post, however I do believe the Browns have a man crush on him and are probable to take him before us. Another point is that I haven't heard much on the Fins looking at him up close and bringing him in for visits. Chad Jackson had 2 visits by the Fins and at the combine Miami had talked to him and watched him up close. I know they have looked at Lawson more as well.

Only problem with Marshall is that he's not worth a 4th round pick or higher in the draft.

Back
Top Bottom