My problem as a coach with RB Benson | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My problem as a coach with RB Benson

DOLFANMIKE said:

Benson at #2 overall would be a mistake IMO over QB Rodgers or Smith because there are always lots of ways to land a quality RB through FA or later draft picks. QB on the other hand is so much tougher to find quality. I hope we don't go RB at #2 overall when guys like Rodgers or Smith are sure to be there.

First of all nice post. I don't agree with the wear and tear thinking on a 22yr. old "kid". I know not many would agree with me , but Benson seems to be the closest to a "surething" in this draft. Smith and Rodgers are good QB's, but in my opinion they're not worthy of the overall #2 pick either.I know it may be too high to draft Benson at #2 ,but I don't think he'll get past the Bears at #4.Btw I should would like seeing Cedric carrying the ball in late Dec. and Jan. in coldweather playoff games though.

DOLFANMIKE said:
I know its a tough deal to be critical about durability when a guy has done nothing to show he's not durable. However, Keep in mind a couple other items. He has in fact carried the ball more than Williams FYI...and Williams carried it alot. But that not all of it. He was also a High school running back. I really dont agree with the idea that all those carries won't possibly limit his career length. I carried 30-35 times my senior year alone and let me tell ya, I'm still feeling it at 40 years old. Having that kind of contact game after game is a concern for me...no question. I understand its just a risk thing...but it does concern me if we select him at #2 overall.

Benson had more carries, but not by much. Ricky had something like 1,070 rushes, whereas Cedric had 1,112 rushes.

What I want to know is this. Is there a magic number of carries that you should look for? I'm wondering this, because I have seen people criticize Benson for carrying the ball too much and Brown for carrying the ball too little.

Is there a medium? Is the ideal number of carries around 750 over a four year career?

It just seems to me that one player, Benson, is being criticized for being an ultra productive four year starter while the other player, Brown, is being criticized for being on a team with two great runners and being enough of a team player to split the carries with that player.

IMO, it isn't the amount of carries that you have that wears you down. It's the punishment you take in the process. Some backs are better at avoiding the big, punishing hits than others. Upright runners will have a shorter career than the ones who run with good body lean and have the feet to avoid the big hits in the open field.

DOLFANMIKE said:
I'm not saying this to toot my own horn. But I was a very accomplished RB in HS, small college, and in Semi Pro Ball. I've had 3 former RB's that I've coached in 20 years play in the NFL and many play college ball at all levels. So I know running backs. I notice their ball skills, and many other things aboput carrying the ball that only a RB or coach would notice.

Benson is a great running back. IMO....from what I have seen of he, Brown, Caddie Williams, and all the rest of the Draft Rb's Benson is the best all around player IMO. He does so many things well. He's a rookie that could gain 1500 yards EASY. His vision is fantastic and he runs with power, sets up blocks (we really need this ability), and he punishes tacklers.
His and Caddie's decisions are the best and quickest, His and Browns power is the best of the top guys, his hands are good and he makes plays. The guy has quickness to the hole that is noticeable for a player his size.

However, the one thing that concerns me is his durability. Not because he has shown a history of getting hurt, but rather because of all the wear and tear on him over what he has already done. He has carried the ball more than Ricky Williams had at this point in his career. I'm concerned about how long he will continue to play at this level.

Brown on the other hand is the up and coming guy that has really been saved alot due to splitting carries and time with Caddie Williams. Both of those players may actually last longer over time. Both of them also have better quality of character from what I've read. Both of them are also very good RB's that MAY be able to dominate a game like Benson WILL.

I've seen enough of Benson though to say as a RB coach of 20 years, Benson is going to be a GREAT player. Not good, not even a risk on field to be a stud. He is going to be sure-thing STUD. The concern though is for how long, and his maturity (especially after Wicky Rilliams) is a problem for me with a #2 investment. I'd love to trade back in the top 10 and grab some more picks, then draft Benson with our first trade back pick around 5-10 overall. That would be a great trade back draft IMO. But not Benson at #2 overall.

Benson at #2 overall would be a mistake IMO over QB Rodgers or Smith because there are always lots of ways to land a quality RB through FA or later draft picks. QB on the other hand is so much tougher to find quality. I hope we don't go RB at #2 overall when guys like Rodgers or Smith are sure to be there.

DMike, while I like the 2 QB's, I don't like taking them that high...they just don't seem to be Franchise QB's to me....I'd rather take them at the 15-30 spot. Maybe Rogers at the 8-12 spot. But 1 or 2, no way, they're a part of the hype game by agents, media, and the worklic tests...but football standards, I'd rather take Campbell, Mcpherson, or a chance on the Arkon QB.

eddie george is very durable but he's just completely worn out. he started to decline by his 6th season. a RB only has so many carries in their body. cedric benson could turn out like that. he's been used a lot already.

LightsOut said:
eddie george is very durable but he's just completely worn out. he started to decline by his 6th season. a RB only has so many carries in their body. cedric benson could turn out like that. he's been used a lot already.

Eddie George is an upright runner that takes a lot of big hits.

Emmitt Smith carried the ball a lot as well, and he lasted for 12 productive seasons and 3 other seasons that weren't up to his standards.

KB21 said:
Eddie George is an upright runner that takes a lot of big hits.

Emmitt Smith carried the ball a lot as well, and he lasted for 12 productive seasons and 3 other seasons that weren't up to his standards.

emmitt also had 412 less rushes in college than benson had.

KB21 said:
It just seems to me that one player, Benson, is being criticized for being an ultra productive four year starter while the other player, Brown, is being criticized for being on a team with two great runners and being enough of a team player to split the carries with that player.

IMO, it isn't the amount of carries that you have that wears you down. It's the punishment you take in the process. Some backs are better at avoiding the big, punishing hits than others. Upright runners will have a shorter career than the ones who run with good body lean and have the feet to avoid the big hits in the open field.

Alot of truth there. A good back, like say Barry Sanders, doesnt take alot of shots. This was perhaps my greatest strength as a runner. I ran hard, played smart, and made sure I always won on contact. To win on contact means that the RB does the punishing when he can, but is wise and crafty at avoiding big hits when he cant win on contact when those times come.

Hostile7 said:
It was an interesting thread until you said durability... More Carries then Ricky? I'm not exactly sure, but if that's true, not by much.

Benson's ability is his tree trunk legs. At 22 years old you don't have wear and tear. As a matter of fact, he'll need to carry MORE in the NFL. 260 carries a year isn't very much. If anything Brown and Cadillac haven't shown they can carry the load, and will have to DOUBLE their workload and probably then some (if you include catches).

There's a lot of RB who carries over 1000 times in college and had no effect on them in the NFL.

That wear and tear thing is a pure myth.

Not when you get older....you'll know every joint that has that wear....take it from someone that not only knows...but has R/A. When your young...you don't think of what your really doing to your body....until your not young any more....so think young people...while you can.

Benson is not Ricky Williams...as much as I dislike that SOB....Ricky had something that Benson doesn't and never will have...a second gear....Ricky in the open field could outrun most defenders....Benson can't...it's that simple. If you want a big back that can pound the rock....select Shelton....at 246 he's the better deal.

I'm convinced about Aaron Rodgers, I'm not convinced about Alex Smith because he hasn't done enough to outweight what I perceive to be primarily hype surrounding him.

I do think all three backs will be very good. But yes, it scares me that not only was Benson a 4 year starter in college, but I heard he was a 4 year starter in high school, and averaged a ton of carries a game. I heard something about him having already gained 12,000 yards. Put that together with his character and desire question marks, and you have to wonder if he won't be happy, just like Ricky, at having had a fantastic college career, but not an Emmitt Smith type pro career.

And its not the number of runs that scare me as far as his not fitting in Linehan's offense, it is the TYPE of runner that he is. He is a punishing inside runner, doesn't do a whole lot of Curtis Martin type things to avoid hits either.

The people in this thread are right, he is very good at setting up his blocks. But, in the one-back offense that we are likely to run, those skills will be put to waste because people will be blocking right at the line of scrimmage, and it will be Benson's job to pick his lanes and outrun people (Corey Dillon did a FANTASTIC job at this for New England this year...Travis Henry use to be really good at doing this to the Phins too).

Overall I think Brown fits the offense best just because of his catching ability. But Cadillac is the lane-picker that would be the most effective pure runner in this offense.

I still want Aaron Rodgers though.

LightsOut said:
emmitt also had 412 less rushes in college than benson had.

Emmitt also played only three years in college, so his workload was heavy.

KB21 said:
Emmitt also played only three years in college, so his workload was heavy.

Keith...the two running backs I see that compare to Emmitt in some aspects are C. Williams and Arrington. Both weigh alittle more than Emmitt...but both have his style...plus both are alittle faster.

Back
Top Bottom