My problem as a coach with RB Benson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My problem as a coach with RB Benson

DOLFANMIKE

Coaches Corner
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying this to toot my own horn. But I was a very accomplished RB in HS, small college, and in Semi Pro Ball. I've had 3 former RB's that I've coached in 20 years play in the NFL and many play college ball at all levels. So I know running backs. I notice their ball skills, and many other things aboput carrying the ball that only a RB or coach would notice.

Benson is a great running back. IMO....from what I have seen of he, Brown, Caddie Williams, and all the rest of the Draft Rb's Benson is the best all around player IMO. He does so many things well. He's a rookie that could gain 1500 yards EASY. His vision is fantastic and he runs with power, sets up blocks (we really need this ability), and he punishes tacklers.
His and Caddie's decisions are the best and quickest, His and Browns power is the best of the top guys, his hands are good and he makes plays. The guy has quickness to the hole that is noticeable for a player his size.

However, the one thing that concerns me is his durability. Not because he has shown a history of getting hurt, but rather because of all the wear and tear on him over what he has already done. He has carried the ball more than Ricky Williams had at this point in his career. I'm concerned about how long he will continue to play at this level.

Brown on the other hand is the up and coming guy that has really been saved alot due to splitting carries and time with Caddie Williams. Both of those players may actually last longer over time. Both of them also have better quality of character from what I've read. Both of them are also very good RB's that MAY be able to dominate a game like Benson WILL.

I've seen enough of Benson though to say as a RB coach of 20 years, Benson is going to be a GREAT player. Not good, not even a risk on field to be a stud. He is going to be sure-thing STUD. The concern though is for how long, and his maturity (especially after Wicky Rilliams) is a problem for me with a #2 investment. I'd love to trade back in the top 10 and grab some more picks, then draft Benson with our first trade back pick around 5-10 overall. That would be a great trade back draft IMO. But not Benson at #2 overall.

Benson at #2 overall would be a mistake IMO over QB Rodgers or Smith because there are always lots of ways to land a quality RB through FA or later draft picks. QB on the other hand is so much tougher to find quality. I hope we don't go RB at #2 overall when guys like Rodgers or Smith are sure to be there.

This is how i feel. cept that Caddy is a playmaker type. Brown is a guy you have for the fourth quarter to put the babies to bed so to speak. I think Caddy scores from 50-80 yards out and Brown scores from 10-20 yards out.

finfan54 said:
This is how i feel. cept that Caddy is a playmaker type. Brown is a guy you have for the fourth quarter to put the babies to bed so to speak. I think Caddy scores from 50-80 yards out and Brown scores from 10-20 yards out.

Except that Brown had more big plays from 30+

DOLFANMIKE said:
I'm not saying this to toot my own horn. But I was a very accomplished RB in HS, small college, and in Semi Pro Ball. I've had 3 former RB's that I've coached in 20 years play in the NFL and many play college ball at all levels. So I know running backs. I notice their ball skills, and many other things aboput carrying the ball that only a RB or coach would notice.

Benson is a great running back. IMO....from what I have seen of he, Brown, Caddie Williams, and all the rest of the Draft Rb's Benson is the best all around player IMO. He does so many things well. He's a rookie that could gain 1500 yards EASY. His vision is fantastic and he runs with power, sets up blocks (we really need this ability), and he punishes tacklers.
His and Caddie's decisions are the best and quickest, His and Browns power is the best of the top guys, his hands are good and he makes plays. The guy has quickness to the hole that is noticeable for a player his size.

However, the one thing that concerns me is his durability. Not because he has shown a history of getting hurt, but rather because of all the wear and tear on him over what he has already done. He has carried the ball more than Ricky Williams had at this point in his career. I'm concerned about how long he will continue to play at this level.

Brown on the other hand is the up and coming guy that has really been saved alot due to splitting carries and time with Caddie Williams. Both of those players may actually last longer over time. Both of them also have better quality of character from what I've read. Both of them are also very good RB's that MAY be able to dominate a game like Benson WILL.

I've seen enough of Benson though to say as a RB coach of 20 years, Benson is going to be a GREAT player. Not good, not even a risk on field to be a stud. He is going to be sure-thing STUD. The concern though is for how long, and his maturity (especially after Wicky Rilliams) is a problem for me with a #2 investment. I'd love to trade back in the top 10 and grab some more picks, then draft Benson with our first trade back pick around 5-10 overall. That would be a great trade back draft IMO. But not Benson at #2 overall.

Benson at #2 overall would be a mistake IMO over QB Rodgers or Smith because there are always lots of ways to land a quality RB through FA or later draft picks. QB on the other hand is so much tougher to find quality. I hope we don't go RB at #2 overall when guys like Rodgers or Smith are sure to be there.

It was an interesting thread until you said durability... More Carries then Ricky? I'm not exactly sure, but if that's true, not by much.

Benson's ability is his tree trunk legs. At 22 years old you don't have wear and tear. As a matter of fact, he'll need to carry MORE in the NFL. 260 carries a year isn't very much. If anything Brown and Cadillac haven't shown they can carry the load, and will have to DOUBLE their workload and probably then some (if you include catches).

There's a lot of RB who carries over 1000 times in college and had no effect on them in the NFL.

That wear and tear thing is a pure myth.

I too (also, not to "toot my own horn") was a pretty accomplished RB, so I know, as you do, first hand the little subtlies that others who haven't played the game or the position may miss. I also, as you have prolly seen through my million other posts praising and pulling for him, think Benson is the best back. My whole thing is that I just don't see the need for us to pass him up, or even Brown for that matter, for a QB. According to everyone has has shotdown my points that Benson is a workhorse back, our new system doesn't require a workhourse, it's not gonna be like the old "give it to ricky and sometimes pass" system, so Benson's durability shouldn't be an issue, because he won't be OVERWORKED like in Texas. I think this years QB talent is deeper than the RB talent, so I think we can still get a VERY good QB in the 2nd if we can manage to get a pick, and if not, the 3rd and even 4th round should have some quality guys left that can be built into great QBs. I just don't see us being able to get a great, IMMEDIATE DIFFERENCE MAKING RB in the later rounds, unless Clarett is a true diamond in the rough and Saban is willing to take a chance, which will never happen. As far as FA RBs, there should be durability concerns with them also. Not only have they been worked, and shopped around, but they are also older. We are rebuilding our franchise and proll want to get as much youthful talent in as possible to last longer, a FA RB might help the team short term, but in the long run it would be better to take one of these three in the 1st round, because they are almost locks for making an impact, plus they are all young and can lead us well into the future.

Hostile7 said:
It was an interesting thread until you said durability... More Carries then Ricky? I'm not exactly sure, but if that's true, not by much.

Benson's ability is his tree trunk legs. At 22 years old you don't have wear and tear. As a matter of fact, he'll need to carry MORE in the NFL. 260 carries a year isn't very much. If anything Brown and Cadillac haven't shown they can carry the load, and will have to DOUBLE their workload and probably then some (if you include catches).

There's a lot of RB who carries over 1000 times in college and had no effect on them in the NFL.

That wear and tear thing is a pure myth.

This is EXACTLY the point I have been trying to make about them. I'm not at all concerned with BENSON'S durability, it is Brown and Williams' that concerns me (moreso Brown since the consensus seems to be that 98% of dolphin fans want him, and like 100% of the "experts" have us taking him)

Great posts by all...I am glad to see a pro-Benson thread. I just posted the same in another...the fact that Caddy and Brown haven't proven they can carry the load alone concerns me when drafting at #2. Benson has proven he can. IF we stay at #2 I'd like to see us take either B. Edwards or Benson because I think they've proven above everyone else in the draft that they are "lock" blue-chippers. The two QB's have moved up partly because of the lack of blue chip talent at the position in this draft. Mike Williams missed a year, and is living off one truly good season.

I like Smith, Rodgers, Brown, Caddy, and Mike Williams, but NOT at #2.

Just my opinion, but I'd take Edwards or Benson at #2...or Rolle. ;-)

Phintasy said:
Great posts by all...I am glad to see a pro-Benson thread. I just posted the same in another...the fact that Caddy and Brown haven't proven they can carry the load alone concerns me when drafting at #2. Benson has proven he can. IF we stay at #2 I'd like to see us take either B. Edwards or Benson because I think they've proven above everyone else in the draft that they are "lock" blue-chippers. The two QB's have moved up partly because of the lack of blue chip talent at the position in this draft. Mike Williams missed a year, and is living off one truly good season.

I like Smith, Rodgers, Brown, Caddy, and Mike Williams, but NOT at #2.

Just my opinion, but I'd take Edwards or Benson at #2...or Rolle. ;-)

haha, ALL my posts are pretty much pro-Benson. I too (obviously) would love to see him go at #2, but I think the est situation for the TEAM would be trade down, pick up another pick or two, and get Benson a little later than #2, that way we get an amazing player for less$, freeing up cap room, AND we get MUCH needed extra picks.

I just watched the 5 minute highlight clip of Benson AGAIN and I think I am sold on the guy. hes no worse than Ronnie Brown or Caddy IMO. DolfanMike is right - Benson sets up his blocks beautifully, hits the hole hard and really possesses the total package in terms of RB skills.

People that doubt his speed only need to watch him skip to the outside and turn it upfield. At this point, hes faster than then Edge, Cumar, Dillon, Mccalister, Alexander and a slew of other top RB's. He may not have the speed of Clinton Portis, but how many top backs do?. Point is, it doesnt matter. If Benson "only" gives us 7 solid years as a top 5-10 RB because of his mileage, Id still be a very very happy camper.

I know its a tough deal to be critical about durability when a guy has done nothing to show he's not durable. However, Keep in mind a couple other items. He has in fact carried the ball more than Williams FYI...and Williams carried it alot. But that not all of it. He was also a High school running back. I really dont agree with the idea that all those carries won't possibly limit his career length. I carried 30-35 times my senior year alone and let me tell ya, I'm still feeling it at 40 years old. Having that kind of contact game after game is a concern for me...no question. I understand its just a risk thing...but it does concern me if we select him at #2 overall.

DOLFANMIKE said:
I know its a tough deal to be critical about durability when a guy has done nothing to show he's not durable. However, Keep in mind a couple other items. He has in fact carried the ball more than Williams FYI...and Williams carried it alot. But that not all of it. He was also a High school running back. I really dont agree with the idea that all those carries won't possibly limit his career length. I carried 30-35 times my senior year alone and let me tell ya, I'm still feeling it at 40 years old. Having that kind of contact game after game is a concern for me...no question. I understand its just a risk thing...but it does concern me if we select him at #2 overall.

Just remember that not so long ago, ALL college players played for four years. Only since Barry Sanders enetered the league have we become accustomed to underclassmen becoming eligible for the draft. And guys like Walter Payton, OJ Simpson etc all carried the ball throughout college and went on to LONG (and succesful) careers.

Still, I hear your point.

Surferosa said:
I just watched the 5 minute highlight clip of Benson AGAIN and I think I am sold on the guy. hes no worse than Ronnie Brown or Caddy IMO. DolfanMike is right - Benson sets up his blocks beautifully, hits the hole hard and really possesses the total package in terms of RB skills.

People that doubt his speed only need to watch him skip to the outside and turn it upfield. At this point, hes faster than then Edge, Cumar, Dillon, Mccalister, Alexander and a slew of other top RB's. He may not have the speed of Clinton Portis, but how many top backs do?. Point is, it doesnt matter. If Benson "only" gives us 7 solid years as a top 5-10 RB because of his mileage, Id still be a very very happy camper.

great point on the speed thing, my Benson support group is growing!!! But back to the speed thing, that is my point (in another topic) about why I hate the combine and how it weighs so much on a player's rank. While amazing speed is great it means NOTHING if you can't GET OPEN to use it. Until you get past the D-Line and LBs and into open field, blazing speed doesn't mean too much. They aren't gonna part like Moses *allegedly* did the the Red Sea and just let you run a 40yd dash right by em then try to chase you. Bfore you get to the open field point in a rush, the most important qualities are vision, agility, and power. Vision to find the holes and read the play, agility to GET to the holes and make people miss, and power to get THROUGH the holes and break tackles.

Surferosa said:
Just remember that not so long ago, ALL college players played for four years. Only since Barry Sanders enetered the league have we become accustomed to underclassmen becoming eligible for the draft. And guys like Walter Payton, OJ Simpson etc all carried the ball throughout college and went on to LONG (and succesful) careers.

Still, I hear your point.
I really do think we could trade back and still get him in the top 10.

DOLFANMIKE said:

I too, being a former running back, hear you on this. I am only 3 years removed from my senior year and I already have aches, and I didn't go on to play college ball due to and injury and lack of size (only 5'7", 140lbs) and I can still feel the punishment that pop warner-HS football did to me. I averaged 31.3 carries a game, and it already caught up to me. This past year I started full on football training again to go out for semi-pro and I feel the old contact sometimes after a particularly brutal workout. However, when it comes down to it, like someone else said, back before Barry ALL RBs played four years, and look at all the greats that came from that. I am MORE worried about the Aubruns RBs' LACK of carries than I am about Benson's overload of carries.

DOLFANMIKE said:
I really do think we could trade back and still get him in the top 10.

As do I (I think you meant to quote ME in your post, cuz it fits more, lol). I know Arizona is REALLY interested in him though, so we would have to drop not later than 7 since they are 8, unless we trade with them and they take Brown.

Back
Top Bottom