My push for Alex smith. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My push for Alex smith.

fanodan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
  • I've changed my mind, for the fourth time, in my opinion for whom the Dolphins should choose at 2nd overall.If, and i mean If, Patrick surtain is traded for KC's 2nd rounder, then Miami should shock all you mock drafters by taking the best player available at the pick......... Alex Smith. Saban has said that he will not hesitate to draft the best talent regardless of needs. When he says this ,its hoping to trade down rhetoric, hoping that a team such as Tampa will bit bite and trade with us for a shot at Smith. Miami should announce this week to the Hearald, and other Florida based papers that Alex Smith is the man...............even if not it poses a better bluff than what their doing now.

By the way if they get the 2nd round pick from KC. then get rb.............possibly wr........................ their deep.

I personally want to see Smith or Rodgers.

We need a QB of the future. How many years in a row have I said that we need to draft a qb. AJ is serviceable until a kid can get in there and play.

I hope we draft...

1. WR - Either Williams or Edwards
2. RB - best available

We will be fortunate if Smith is there. I would probably take him as well, unless we get a good trade offer. When you think of his intelligence, it's hard to pass him up.

I'd take Rogers over smith IMO. Smith was going to be the only QB coming out next year worth taking (then he came out early). Smith would be OK, but in my book, he's #2. He shot up, seems like a hell of a guy, but in the long run my moneys on Rogers. Either one of them, or one of the WR's would make me happy. IF we go RB, i'd really like to see us drop down before drafting one.

Phinzone said:
I'd take Rogers over smith IMO. Smith was going to be the only QB coming out next year worth taking (then he came out early). Smith would be OK, but in my book, he's #2. He shot up, seems like a hell of a guy, but in the long run my moneys on Rogers. Either one of them, or one of the WR's would make me happy. IF we go RB, i'd really like to see us drop down before drafting one.

Maybe we should be enjoying a beer during the draft, cause we agree :wink:

In my opinion, Alex Smith is another Tim Couch in the making. When people talk about Utah's great season, they don't mention Alex Smith's stats, they mention how great Urban Meyer's system is. That is all he is, a product of a system. After this upcoming season, people will be saying Chris Leak is the #1 player in the Draft if he comes out early.

There are too many question marks about Smith. He does not have a great arm. He played in an unusual spread offense, and did all his reads from the shotgun, which is a lot different than reading while dropping back. Ourlads Scouting Service has him ranked as the 3rd best QB in the draft, behind Rodgers and Frye. Taking a QB is risky enough, let alone taking a QB that there is such disagreement about. That's not the kind of player you take at #2.

Im not sure what it is that seperates these two QB's from the rest of the pack. that is what bothers me about the draft. People lock into what they think is and alot gets left behind IMO. With that said, I like Smith. I dont like Rogers in the end because he is 6'1.583592 and the pros are a different ball game. I think Rogers is good but not the tops. Smith has the ideal size and also has smarts. It all starts upstairs to me. rogers is very smart as well but....

I wouldn't mind drafting at #2 these guys:

Braylon Edwards
Alex Smith
Ronnie Brown
Cadillac Williams ( alot of people would say he is not worthy of #2, I say they have no clue what they are talking about).

These are not neccessarily in that order.

alex smith is far from the BPA... these quarterbacks if you actually ranked them compared to the rest of the field would be prob below the top 3 RBs top 2 WRs maybe 1 LB... usually teams have to reach when they want a QB, just like when you trade for one you gotta pay more than normal (aka feeley w/2nd rounder)

neither of these QBs would be the actual BPA at 1 2 3 4 or 5, but if you want 1 you gotta reach... but i dont want to, id rather just grab one of the RBs or one of the WRs..

NorthFloridaFin said:
In my opinion, Alex Smith is another Tim Couch in the making. When people talk about Utah's great season, they don't mention Alex Smith's stats, they mention how great Urban Meyer's system is. That is all he is, a product of a system. After this upcoming season, people will be saying Chris Leak is the #1 player in the Draft if he comes out early.

No way! Couch lacked Smith's accuracy and his TD/INT ratio was avg. Couch's decision making against the better teams was also really suspect. I told people before that draft that these were red flags and that Couch wasn't worth a high 1st rd pick. (I had Culpepper rated #1) These flags simply don't exist with Smith.

finfan54 said:
Im not sure what it is that seperates these two QB's from the rest of the pack. that is what bothers me about the draft. People lock into what they think is and alot gets left behind IMO. With that said, I like Smith. I dont like Rogers in the end because he is 6'1.583592 and the pros are a different ball game. I think Rogers is good but not the tops. Smith has the ideal size and also has smarts. It all starts upstairs to me. rogers is very smart as well but....

I wouldn't mind drafting at #2 these guys:

Braylon Edwards
Alex Smith
Ronnie Brown
Cadillac Williams ( alot of people would say he is not worthy of #2, I say they have no clue what they are talking about).

These are not neccessarily in that order.

Not sure where you got your info but Rodgers officially measured in at the NFL Combine at 6'2".

NorthFloridaFin said:

Exactly. People completely annihalate Fiedler on this board, what was his main problem? Weak arm. Couldnt throw the outs and deep ball. What is a major concern with Smith? His arm is JUST good enough. Couple that with he played in a gimmick offense like Couch in KY, just leaves too much risk for bust IMO for the #2 overrall. I know many are in love with him, but they were in love with Couch as well.

Now I believe Couch could have been a very good qb if he had been handled right. If they sat him for 2 years and taught him mechanics of drop back passing, built the o-line, stabilized teh whole offense, etc, the results could be diff. Smith same thing. Diff in situations? Well Miami has a young qb with potential, Clev had noone, taking a qb fo teh future when you have noone and no choice is a no brainer. Rememeber at teh time McNabb was considered a runner more than a true qb, Akili was a 1 year starter, Duante was small shool Couch was rated teh best. but he was a project they forced into teh job. They made a mistake, he wasnt anywhere near ready.

If Miami goes qb #2, it says to me they have no confidence in AJ, and if that is the case, then you dont take a 2+ year project for a program that is looking at contending in 2 years. Sitting Smith for 2 years then starting him teh 3rd would really be saying contention in the 4th year. Not sitting Smith for 2 years, I believe you are asking for trouble. yes he is VERY smart, but the pace of teh NFL is so much faster, to try and learn teh speed of the game, defenses sophisticated schemes like NE and others, learning teh mechanics of being a drop back passer, while combining it all so you are good enough to compensate for weaknesses for arm strength is alot to ask of a qb in his situation.

Like I said before, if Smith is teh route we go, I will support him fully, get behind him and hope he is what many think he is. I wont criticize teh pick, wont be upset by it, but those are my concerns.

I don't know why alot of people are so high on Smith. Not saying he's a bad player, just don't know if he is really worth picking at #1 or #2. Heres why looking at 2004 draft Smith and Rodgers would have been rated some where from 4th to 6th best QB coming out behind Manning,Rivers,Rothlisberger it would have been a toss up for the 4th-6th spots between Losman,Smith,and Rodgers. The 2003 draft had Palmer,Leftwich,Grossman, Boller now some would say Smith and Rodgers would be ahead of Boller and so would I but that still has them 4th and 5th best. The 2002 draft had Carr, Harrington,Ramsey and here again some would have those two rated ahead of Ramsey with no argument here, your still looking at 3rd to 5th best QB in the draft. Of course this is based on how they were rated out of college not on how some are playing today! I'm also thinking about the system he played in college. It reminds me of the Fun and Gun Spurrier ran at Florida, the QB's did great had good #'s in college but when it came to the NFL there careers did not continue with the same success. He has worked out of the shotgun so much can he become more of a behind center QB at the next level, can he make the same reads, does he have the arm strength to become the franchise QB? I'm not saying AJ is the guy because there are alot of ?'s about if he is a franchise QB or not, but Smith would have to go through the same bumps and bruises that AJ had last year so why not give AJ more time and put a OL and new offensive system around him and see what he can really do. AJ did pretty good when filling in for McNabb in Philly and why because he had a much better team (- the WR's) than he had last year.

Back
Top Bottom