My Review of the Game(100th Post) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Review of the Game(100th Post)

DolFan31

aka FinSane
Reaction score
Well DolFans ive been on this board for over a year now,and i finally have my 100th post,and ive saved it for the best game(so far) of the season.The streak is finally over! Now for my review of the game:

QB: A-
Jay Fiedler threw a few off-target passes in the first half,and while he did look really good at times,he did look a bit out of character.However,come the second half,he did revive himself and looked like a Pro-Bowl quarterback.The highest-rated passer in the league(as of week 2) had 1 TD pass and also had no INTs.

RB: A-
Ricky Williams had another 100-yard game,becoming the first running back in Dolphin history to have 3 consecutive 100-yard games.The first half Miami couldnt get the ground game going,but later they(especially Williams) came full force on the Jets D.Robert Edwards a few nice runs,but Travis Minor capped off an already won game late in the 4th for a TD and few nice runs as well.Konrad saw some action,but not too much.WR James McKnight also did some runs in reverse plays.

TE: A+
Randy McMichael did a superb job today,making big plays everywhere on the field,including a TD.Nothing from Jed Weaver.McMichael though,is an up-and-coming star.

WR: B-
Chris Chambers once again had a great day with 4 catches for 33 yards.Oronde Gadsden though,stole the show with an outstanding,acrobatic one handed catch,but it was his lone catch for the day.The receivers for most of the day kept dropping passes,and thus need to improve on that.

OL: A+
The offensive line looked like it did 2 years ago when Lamar Smith first came to Miami.Making nice blocks for Ricky Williams and the pass protection for Fiedler was also nice,allowing only 1 potential sack which Fiedler smartly made sure it wasnt by throwing it away.Jamie Nails is looking better by the week.

DL: A
Adewale Ogunleye had a nice day getting his first sack of the season,but it was Jason Taylor who i think deserves the defensive MVP of the game,with his sack-fumble-fumble recovery that i think sealed the victory for us.The line did a good job of holding RB Curtis Martin for the day,which he only got 43 yards rushing.Jay Williams also had a sack today,taking down Chad Pennington after the game had been won,but still is a confidence builder.

LB: B+
Derrick Rodgers got his first INT of the season,and Zach Thomas did a good job covering the field.The only problem i see from this unit is helping Thomas more in the open field.

CB: C+
CB Patrick Surtain was out today,Wayne Chrebet was able to help the Jets convert 3rd downs,and Jamar Fletcher continues to struggle.However,the unit was able to keep the pass coverage under control without Surtain,but i think Fletcher is a bust.

S: A+
Brock Marion,who saved the Dolphins from OT last week against the Colts,came up looking good again,collecting another INT for the season.He also came up with 3 tackles.Autro Freeman continues to impress,with 5 tackles,some being huge tackles.Shawn Wooden surprised many,getting an INT and almost another one,but a penalty took that away.Im hoping to see more from this guy.

ST: C+
Olindo Mare gave us another shock today,missing an easy FG.However he did go 3/4 for the day,so it wasnt too bad.P Mark Royals looked better than former Dolphins Matt Turk(now of the Jets) today,booming punts.Kick and Punt Coverage could be a bit better.

Overall: B+
A so-so first half but a nice finish to a great game.The hex is finally over,and the Dolphins are back,baby.
:cool: :cooldude: :happydrin :drinkers: :up: :biggrin: :bling:

Overall A+!!!! We ended the streak, Fiedler didn't throw any INTs, Ricky ran for over 150 yards... did I mention we ended the streak...

Well i did see some things that need improvement,but yea the streak is over,Fiedler was good,Ricky was great,and the second half did make me think a little,but Mare concerns me,and so does the CB situation(Surtain/Fletcher).

There is no grading a Jets game except this:

Win=A
Loss=F

We won. Enough said.

Sorry your secondary grade is way wrong...

... the Dolphins secondary was without a doubt an A+ today. They allowed 0 TD's and 131-yards passing. If there was a grade above A+ that's what they deserve!

Fletcher played a whale of a game, he shut his side down, just like Madison did on his side.

Oliver...

Originally posted by DolFan31
Well DolFans ive been on this board for over a year now,and i finally have my 100th post,and ive saved it for the best game(so far) of the season.The streak is finally over! Now for my review of the game:

Jay Fiedler threw a few off-target passes in the first half,and while he did look really good at times,he did look a bit out of character.However,come the second half,he did revive himself and looked like a Pro-Bowl quarterback.The highest-rated passer in the league(as of week 2) had 1 TD pass and also had no INTs.

RB: A-
Ricky Williams had another 100-yard game,becoming the first running back in Dolphin history to have 3 consecutive 100-yard games.The first half Miami couldnt get the ground game going,but later they(especially Williams) came full force on the Jets D.Robert Edwards a few nice runs,but Travis Minor capped off an already won game late in the 4th for a TD and few nice runs as well.Konrad saw some action,but not too much.WR James McKnight also did some runs in reverse plays.

TE: A+
Randy McMichael did a superb job today,making big plays everywhere on the field,including a TD.Nothing from Jed Weaver.McMichael though,is an up-and-coming star.

WR: B-
Chris Chambers once again had a great day with 4 catches for 33 yards.Oronde Gadsden though,stole the show with an outstanding,acrobatic one handed catch,but it was his lone catch for the day.The receivers for most of the day kept dropping passes,and thus need to improve on that.

OL: A+
The offensive line looked like it did 2 years ago when Lamar Smith first came to Miami.Making nice blocks for Ricky Williams and the pass protection for Fiedler was also nice,allowing only 1 potential sack which Fiedler smartly made sure it wasnt by throwing it away.Jamie Nails is looking better by the week.

DL: A
Adewale Ogunleye had a nice day getting his first sack of the season,but it was Jason Taylor who i think deserves the defensive MVP of the game,with his sack-fumble-fumble recovery that i think sealed the victory for us.The line did a good job of holding RB Curtis Martin for the day,which he only got 43 yards rushing.Jay Williams also had a sack today,taking down Chad Pennington after the game had been won,but still is a confidence builder.

LB: B+
Derrick Rodgers got his first INT of the season,and Zach Thomas did a good job covering the field.The only problem i see from this unit is helping Thomas more in the open field.

CB Patrick Surtain was out today,Wayne Chrebet was able to help the Jets convert 3rd downs,and Jamar Fletcher continues to struggle.However,the unit was able to keep the pass coverage under control without Surtain,but i think Fletcher is a bust.

S: A+
Brock Marion,who saved the Dolphins from OT last week against the Colts,came up looking good again,collecting another INT for the season.He also came up with 3 tackles.Autro Freeman continues to impress,with 5 tackles,some being huge tackles.Shawn Wooden surprised many,getting an INT and almost another one,but a penalty took that away.Im hoping to see more from this guy.

ST: C+
Olindo Mare gave us another shock today,missing an easy FG.However he did go 3/4 for the day,so it wasnt too bad.P Mark Royals looked better than former Dolphins Matt Turk(now of the Jets) today,booming punts.Kick and Punt Coverage could be a bit better.

Overall: B+
A so-so first half but a nice finish to a great game.The hex is finally over,and the Dolphins are back,baby.
:cool: :cooldude: :happydrin :drinkers: :up: :biggrin: :bling:

Dolfan i agree..
i'M concerned with a couple things as well...BUT NOT OLINDO!!!! the guy has missed 2 easy field goals granted..Why? I think its the first time in his career that every time the fins reach the Red Zone they're not going for FG..This really is different for Mare..Very hard to get in a groove...

I was concerned with out D but man the D-Line played real well ( BLITZ do u still think that JT is overrated???)
Fletch scares me a bit and i'm happy we'll get Surtain back for pass happy KC..
Zach bounced back from a sub-par performance..
The O-line looks real good..Perry and Nails were 2 question marks that are delivering BIG TIME...
Jay has cut down on his INT's..Just for that he gets credit....
Showtime and Ricky are the real deal !!!!!
Fins 30 Jets 3
How good does that feel...

Originally posted by DolFan31

Agree pretty much on the rest. I would actually give Jay a straight up "A" though. I counted 6 dropped balls (5 if you take away one off that total with Orende's great catch to make up for one of those drops :) ). Jay also isn't forcing anything. He checks option 1 then 2 and then throws it away if it's not there. He isn't forcing his throws like he used to.

To me the CB's deserve a B+. Madison totally shut down Coles today for 2 catches and 24 yards. Gamble played well as the 3rd corner and Fletcher had 4 tackles while not allowing Moss to get a catch whenever he came his way. Only big gain against the secondary was a 21 yarder to Becht. Vinny only had 125 yards passing total. This was a guy who used to burn us with high accuracy. Fletcher made some good progress today and that is what we all want to see.

I think this was a great confidence builder for fletcher after he got picked on all last week. He played very solid. Fiedler definately played well and if it werent for all the dropped passes in the first half we probly would have run away with the game earlier. I was kind of disappointedj to see 2 drives (this time both in the redzone) get shortcircuited by penalties again this week (the two minute drill and wade jumpin off sides.) Both of those drives probly should have been 7 instead of 3 but I guess it doesnt really matter when your defense dominates like we did. Oh and that was Rodgers second interception of the season...he got one from Manning last week too.

Actually we had to settle for nothin on the two minute drive cause of the missed field goal not 3...Mare missin field goals kinda worries me too but i really doubt itll continue (besides hittin a 53 yarder almost makes up for it...its just real dissapointing to see a possible 7 points dissappear into 0 after the great 2 minute drill.)

Nice post 31. Maybe you should become a sports writer. I think people are a bit hard on Fletcher(including myself), b/c he was solid except that pass interference penalty. Don't forget Madison either. His coverage was so good, Vinny was afraid to throw towards him.

Thanks Fly for correcting my mistake. And also thanks booyeah for giving me some props.Maybe one day ill be a sportswriter..who knows..;)

Well, obviously I don't have to talk about Ricky. But, I will say that Jay looked good. He threw the ball away!!! :D Not only that, I swear I think he looked off on one pass to Chambers! :D Go Jay!!! McMikey got that important first down...BUT WHAT A FIRST DOWN!!!...right through 2 defenders!

It might not be there yet for the O...but patience made this a treat!

nice analysis- it was Rodgers 2nd INT this year. Freeman and Marion was awesome in run support in shutting down Martin which was the key to the game (other than TOs). The 2ndary played incredible considering Surtain was out - helped by a nice pass rush.

Yup Rodgers 2nd. Although I don't think it could be more gift wrapped. Well except for Vinny walking up to him and handing it to him :)

Back
Top Bottom