My Revised Dream Draft (Blockbuster Trade With Philadelphia) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Revised Dream Draft (Blockbuster Trade With Philadelphia)

Blitz said:
#31 - Brodney Pool (S - Oklahoma) *
#35 - Matt Jones (WR - Arkansas) *
#46 - Mike Patterson (DT - USC) **
#63 - Corey Webster (CB - LSU) *
#70 - Eric Shelton (RB - Louisville)
#77 - Rian Wallace (LB - Temple) *
#94 - Andrew Walter (QB - Arizona State) *
4th Round - Michael Munoz (OT - Tennessee)
4th Round - Larry Brackins (WR - Pearl River CC) *
5th Round - Travis Daniels (CB - LSU)
5th Round - Anthony Bryant (DT - Alabama) **
5th Round - Roger Cooper (LB - Montana State) *
6th Round - Brandon Jacobs (RB/FB - Southern Illinois) ***
7th Round - Matt Payne (P - BYU)

* - Obtained via trade with Eagles (#2 for #31, #35, #63, #77, #94, Eagles' 4th and 5th round picks, and Eagles' 2006 2nd round pick)
** - Obtained via trade with Chiefs (Patrick Surtain for #46 and Chiefs' 5th round pick)
*** - Obtained via trade with Rams (Jeff Zgonina for Rams' 6th round pick)

----

We enter the draft with five picks. We leave with 14 rookies (seven first day picks!), and an extra second-round pick in 2006. Sounds like a dream draft to me...
instead of my revised dream draft...how bout everyone i want on my team mock draft!

I think that is to early for us to take Jones and Id rather see us take Barber or Morancy over Shelton

Blitz said:

* - Obtained via trade with Eagles (#2 for #31, #35, #63, #77, #94, Eagles' 4th and 5th round picks, and Eagles' 2006 2nd round pick)
** - Obtained via trade with Chiefs (Patrick Surtain for #46 and Chiefs' 5th round pick)

----

We enter the draft with five picks. We leave with 14 rookies (seven first day picks!), and an extra second-round pick in 2006. Sounds like a dream draft to me...

Great picks in your draft, but is not going to happen... Reasons:

1) Eagles picks this year add to 1800 points (Draft Value)... Miami #2 = 2600 points... they would have to add their 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders from 2006 to be able to move up to Miami's spot.
2) Why would the Eagles trade their 1st day picks when the talent is not seperated by a lot between the #10-#50 draftees...
3) If you want more than a 2nd from the Chiefs and you are not willing to give them something in return Surtain will stay a Dolphin and you will only have 5 draft picks...(2) (70) (104) (138) (216) :shakeno:

Good luck trying to rebuild when you dont have a way to draft help... Thats why I think the Surtain deal will get done with a 2nd or more likely a 3rd, + 5th, + 6th/7th :cooldude:

Draft Value Chart for those that want to make logical trade options for your #2
clear.gif

Good Draft though...

i dont see them giving us a boatload of picks. reid is too smart for that unless he wants to go for it all this year but getting what he needs at #2.

I wish we could get all those picks. I doubt that Philly does it. The draft doesn't have a "one outstanding player". Good work though.

your drafting 14 players... we havent got that many roster spots.

ih8brady said:
I like the idea of trading down, but not the players you drafted. Defense first? no

We have holes all over the board, and if we don't address our problems on the defensive side of the ball right now then we're going to be in a lot of trouble two years down the road no matter which offensive players we take this year. Pool, Patterson, and Webster could start this year, and may develop into solid starters in the future. Wallace and Rogers have the potential to develop into solid starters. Zach and Junior are not going to be around much longer. Timbo is over the hill, and perhaps somebody like Bryant can replace him. Madison only has a few years left too, and that's why I like picking up both of LSU's CBs. Let's not overlook the fact that Saban is a defensive guru, and may decide to pick just as many defensive players as offensive players.

What offensive players would you rather take with those picks?

I'm against taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds (Unless a top-tier OL falls much further than they should). Look at what Houck did with a bunch of no-names last year. Why can't he do the same thing this year? We can still pick up a veteran OL or two after the June 1st cuts, too. And if Munoz had not injured himself, he probably would have gone at the top of the third-round, or possibly even the second. If Michael Munoz is half as talented as his father was in his prime then he's going to be a solid starter someday.

I know we're desperate at RB and QB. With that said, this is an incredibly deep draft at RB. Shelton, Morency, Arrington and Barber would be early second-round picks most years (And one of them may be this year's version of Julius Jones), but one of them is almost surely going to be on the board at pick 70. They're just as good as Fason, if not better. The only RBs I'd consider taking in the top fifty picks are Brown, Williams, and Benson. They're not going to fall out of the top ten.

And I'm all for picking up a potential franchise QB, and I believe there's going to be a potential franchise QB available...in the third-round (!). I believe the best value at QB this year is going to be Andrew Walter. He would have been a top ten pick had he not messed up his shoulder last season. As a result of that injury, he's probably going to go in the third-round now. Give him a year to learn and rehabilitate, and see what he can do after that. In the meantime, either AJ will blossom into the player he has the potential to be (Let's cross our fingers), or he will prove to be a bust. The only QBs I'd consider taking in the first two rounds are Smith and Rodgers, and they're out of reach if we trade out of the top five picks.

BTW, let's not forget that Ricky Williams may come back. Obviously we shouldn't count on him doing so, but the thought of having Williams and Shelton is quite titillating. Even if he doesn't come back, I wouldn't mind going into the season with Shelton, Morris, Gordon, Evans, and Brandon Jacobs. That's a fairly solid core.

Blitz said:

----

Sounds good, even possible, but I'm not sure about the selections. Remember Larry Shannon? It's bad enough taking a chance on a wr who has excelled at the college level, much less taking a chance on one who has never played a down as a wr. Hey, we picked Tolliver the ncaa all-time leading wr last year or the year before, and he looked good in minicamps without the pads, where is he now? I'd pass on Matt Jones and any quarterback from Arkansas and Oklahoma! I'd go with JJ Arrington or Faison at RB and Roscoe Parrish or Roddy White at Wr.

Shifty187 said:
U want to hand the Eagles a stud RB (their only real weakness) for a bunch of crappy picks?

We should keep the pick and take Brown or Edwards!

A bunch of crappy picks?

Dan Marino was selected with the second last pick of the first-round of the 1983 NFL Draft, and Darrell Green was taken right after him. Mark Duper was taken with the 52nd pick of the 1982 draft. And get a load of this one: Mark Clayton - 223rd pick of the 1983 draft.

Here's some more recent "crappy picks":

Zach Thomas - 154th overall (1996)
Sam Madison - 44th overall (1997)
Jason Taylor - 73rd overall (1997)
Patrick Surtain - 44th overall (1998)
Chris Chambers - 52nd overall (2001)
Randy McMichael - 114th overall (2002)

What a bunch of crappy picks! ;)

Saban has spent the last few years coaching college football. Who knows what Saban will manage to do if we pick up a ton of picks by trading down. He may dig up some real gems. For crying out loud, even Wanny was able to draft a couple of good players outside of the first-round.

Five picks, with only one in the top 70 slots, is not enough, and Ronnie Brown is far from a sure-fire prospect. If the Eagles are willing to give up the five first day picks they have, and their fourth and fifth-round picks, along with their second-round pick in 2006, in order to trade up and get Ronnie Brown, it's really a no-brainer. That's a boatload of picks in a very deep draft. There are a lot of good players out there who can help us as we rebuild. By making the trade, we'd get a bunch of picks to help rebuild our team, and the Eagles would get the final piece to their puzzle (Or at least that's what they would hope Ronnie Brown is). Anybody who thinks we're going to be back in Super Bowl contention simply by drafting Ronnie Brown and a QB in the third-round is in serious denial about the shape of our club.

It's also worth noting that Jimmy Johnson drafted twelve players in his first draft with our Dolphins, and fourteen players in the 1997 draft. And we weren't 4-12 the year before JJ arrived. No, we were a 9-7 club that made the playoffs, albeit with a roster of overpaid veterans, and we went a respectable 8-8 in 1996, the year before JJ decided to draft fourteen players. Saban may draft just as many players if he's able to trade down. Remember what JJ did with the Cowboys? He built that team through the draft, and the reason why he had such enormously successful drafts with the Cowboys is because of his previous job as the head coach of the University of Miami. He consistently traded down to stockpile picks, and it paid off handsomely. He knew the best college prospects inside and out. The same holds true for Saban.

All in all, I can definitely see Saban dropping back 29 spots from the second overall pick if it meant obtaining eight picks (#31, #35, #63, #77, #94, Eagles' 4th and 5th round picks, and Eagles' 2006 2nd round pick). I, for one, would absolutely love to see what Saban can do with seven picks on the first day of the draft.

finfansince72 said:
Id take a franchise player over most or all of those picks combined.

I've got two names for you: Ryan Leaf (2nd overall - 1998) and Ki-Jana Carter (1st overall - 1995). :eek:

If we traded down with the Eagles and screwed up on half of the acquired picks, which I don't think it would happen with Saban, it still wouldn't be nearly as bad as screwing up on the second overall pick. Let's not forget that this is an exceptionally weak draft at the top, but an exceptionally deep draft overall. It makes sense for a weak team to stock up on second, third, fourth, and fifth-round picks if possible.

fitskin said:
No Matt Jones, we can not take the chance. Please no.

He has amazing potential. Athletically, he's right up there with Braylon Edwards and Mike Williams, and he's shown that he can catch the ball and run decent routes even though he's really only spent a few months at WR. He has the potential to be the best player of this draft. With six other picks in the first three rounds, I'd definitely take a chance on Jones at the top of the second-round.

DonShula84 said:
Id rather see us take Barber or Morancy over Shelton

I love the speed (4.59) that Shelton has considering his size (6-1.5, 246). He doesn't have a lot of mileage on him either. Morency's age (25) and size (only 5-9, 212) concern me. In fact, I'd prefer Arrington, a far more explosive player, over Morency. I'd probably take Barber over Shelton, but I think Shelton is more likely to fall to the top of the third-round, where I'd like to see us nab a solid RB.

carlos3652 said:
Great picks in your draft, but is not going to happen... Reasons:

1) Eagles picks this year add to 1800 points (Draft Value)... Miami #2 = 2600 points... they would have to add their 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders from 2006 to be able to move up to Miami's spot.

Saban could trade the second overall pick for the very last pick in the draft if he felt like it. The value board is far too general, and doesn't take many factors into account. For example, it doesn't take into account the fact that this year's draft is relatively weak at the top, but very deep overall.

2) Why would the Eagles trade their 1st day picks when the talent is not seperated by a lot between the #10-#50 draftees...

How about to get the missing piece to their puzzle? Trading up to get Ronnie Brown would almost surely create more excitement and sales for the Eagles than staying put would. I'd love to have McNabb, Owens, and Brown. They'd definitely be the favorites to win the NFC Championship again. Hell, scratch that. They'd be the favorites to win the Super Bowl.

3) If you want more than a 2nd from the Chiefs and you are not willing to give them something in return Surtain will stay a Dolphin and you will only have 5 draft picks...(2) (70) (104) (138) (216) :shakeno:

If the Chiefs are not willing to part with at least a second and sixth-round pick, then I'd tell them to have fun trying to defend Randy Moss. They're going to give up that second-round pick. Wait and see...

Back
Top Bottom