My State of the Jets Address | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My State of the Jets Address

Man I thought I'd never see the day when we could talk like this...but we are in the best division in football...now only if we don't kill each other,,we may have another chance for one of the teams in this division to advance to the SB..of course I want that to be the phins...the pats are playing great football right now...or they may have caught two teams not playing their best ball right now...the 2nd half of the season will really tell the story on the Pats...I think the Jets threw too much Sunday..to many 3 and out..didn't take any time off the clock and tired out their D..the Pats took advantage..I read today that Herm is going to get back to an idenity..he's going to run again...that spells trouble for us...because C. Martin is a great runner and he sets up the pass and pressure off Vinny..Hopefully the heat is up in S. Fla..and curtis wears a little...We would get the Jets when they finally remember what they do well..? is Mawae back yet?

We're not even close to Fun'n'Gun. We're Run'n'Fun. I would say Fun'n'Run which is the more common usage but we definitely aim to establish the running game first to set us up in the passing game...as of yet.

The Jets are a team struggling to find their identity, according to Herm Edwards. But make no mistake, they have an identity. They usually find ways to win, if they aren't being blown out. Bledsoe picked them apart and Travis Henry diced them up into mincemeat, yet they found a way to win the game...with two amazing KR touchdowns.

What I think happened to the Jets, is they believed all the hype being written about them in the preseason. They actually BELIEVED that what they were doing in the preseason was meaningful and could easily be replicated in real games. They were preseason wonders. After the preseason as many ESPN 'experts' picked them to win the AFC East as did the Dolphins, Patriots, or Bills combined. Have sports writers gone mad? Have they learned nothing from decades of experience? The preseason doesn't mean a whole lot. They didn't face a whole lot of adversity in the preseason and got drunk with preseason success. They fancied that their west coast passing style had finally taken hold and nobody could stop their dink and dunk...did they honestly think they were the new Rams? I'm laughing at all these teams that are withering on the vine, trying to have their QBs pass the ball to multiple WR formations 40-50 times a game and not laying down the ground game first...cuz as of yet the only "good" team I've seen that kind of thing work on is the Steelers.

That said I think Herm Edwards has really learned his lesson. He fancied them a dink-n-dunk passing success with Vinny carrying the team with smart accurate passes and their speedy WRs getting plenty of yards after the catch, with Curtis Martin slicing and dicing like Marshall Faulk. They aren't. They are at their best working in the I Formation, and running cutback run plays...establishing Curtis Martin and working off that. Playing sound fundamental football. So now, they're gonna come down to Miami, run that rock and NEVER get out of their game plan. And its gonna be a slugfest, one where hopefully we win in the end of the game because they tire out faster than they do, due to the heat. The heat is on and there's plenty being written about it for good reason because the last time they played us down in "The Melting Pot" in September, was 1996 when we beat them by like 16 points. Their defense is suspect and we'll make them pay for it. But our run defense is suspect and our pass defense allows the dink-n-dunk so they will make us pay for it...but in the end I think we'll dishearten them with long drives (and Ricky runnin the ball), and they won't have enough left to string together 15 play drives.

I hear you CK and believe that the Jets game c/b a slugfest, but part of me says that the Jets are realling and we have the hammer :judge: to knock them out in Ricky. I also think our much maligned D just gave up 13 points to one of top 5 Os in the NFL on the road. We all know how well our D plays at home. And we all especially know how well our D plays at home in Sept. I think C Mart and the Jets OL are banged up and Zach and Co can control them and make Vinny beat us. The key to the game though will most certainly be TOs by our O and not allowing any ST points to Morton.

I wouldn't count on all that but thats just my opinion.

If the Jets players know one thing, its how to play against Miami. And unfortunately for us, the Patriots already spoiled their fun and deflated their egos. It would have been nice had the Jets walked into Miami THIS week thinking they could pull that crap on us. We would have routed them and the team would be beaming with confidence. But instead we get an extremely humbled Jets who still have a lot of talent and now have the will to play the game the RIGHT way, running Curtis Martin from the I Formation and letting their WRs make plays against us (as they always do). Unfortunately for them, they can't really control the Defense...why? Because most of them don't know us, or rather don't know us from a Jet point of view. Webster and Evans don't know us, Cowart's never been on those Jet teams that got into our heads, Beasley, Abraham, and Garnes couldn't tell us from anyone and Damien Robinson was just along for the ride last year. Our offense will probably walk all over their soft D. But don't doubt that the Jets offense can turn it on against the Dolphins. They know. Vinny knows what its like to be unshackled and to win the game against us. Curtis knows. Coles knows what its like to make Pro Bowler Sam Madison look silly. Wayne Chrebet knows how to sit in the middle of our zones. Mawae has been introduced to Zach Thomas before...

And perhaps more importantly, Herman Edwards knows what its like to see his offense struggling against us, and knows what its like to tell Hackett at halftime to unshackle that offense and allow them to attack us head-on.

The Jets are as dangerous as ever against us...but I think their defensive de-evolution, and the massive september HEAT and HUMIDITY, will in the end be the things that get them. Then when we meet in the Meadowlands, hopefully it will be US who will be in THEIR heads.

I have to agree that it is nice to acutally have a civilized discussion. I lurked on this board most of the off season and it looks like Dolphin fans and bills fans were going at it all off season the same way Jets and patriots fans were going at it on the Jets board.

I was reading this morning that Herm may even pull the reigns in tighter and get even more conservative on offense. (If that is possible.) He wants to establish an identity for this team. So it looks like it may be Curtis left, Curtis right, swing pass to Curtis.

The writer had the best comment though. He said that if the Jets got any more conservative they would be running the wishbone. :D

What the status for Surtain on Sunday ?

Originally posted by shawn306
I have to agree that it is nice to acutally have a civilized discussion. I lurked on this board most of the off season and it looks like Dolphin fans and bills fans were going at it all off season the same way Jets and patriots fans were going at it on the Jets board.

I was reading this morning that Herm may even pull the reigns in tighter and get even more conservative on offense. (If that is possible.) He wants to establish an identity for this team. So it looks like it may be Curtis left, Curtis right, swing pass to Curtis.

The writer had the best comment though. He said that if the Jets got any more conservative they would be running the wishbone. :D

What the status for Surtain on Sunday ?
well if what they say is true, Zach vs. Mawae will be the key matchup in this one.

Surtain is questionable, i.e. will not practice on Wed and THur.

The average jet fan sees the Pats as their greatest rivalry. The Fins are second or third on their list.

Once we break the curse, the Jets will take a back seat to the Pats again.

oh, no,no,no,no.

The New England patriots will never EVER replace the Miami Dolphins as the Jets biggest rival. The only way that ever happens is if

1) they leave the field uncovered during a hurricane a few days before the AFC Championship.

2) Tom Brady runs the spike play to cost the Jets a playoff spot

3) Don Shula comes out of retirement to coach the Patriots.

The Jets and Miami have been rivals basically since the Dolphins came into the AFL. I think the fact that Miami has been a successful franchise since the early 70's has alot to do with it.
You never see the Dolphins go thru a 3-13, or 2-14 season like the Jets, Pats and Bills have and that makes alot of fans crazy.

New England isn't there yet. (As far as being a Jets fans most hated rival, but the have climbed into the top 5)

Great Point!

Originally posted by shawn306
oh, no,no,no,no.

The New England patriots will never EVER replace the Miami Dolphins as the Jets biggest rival. The only way that ever happens is if

1) they leave the field uncovered during a hurricane a few days before the AFC Championship.

2) Tom Brady runs the spike play to cost the Jets a playoff spot

3) Don Shula comes out of retirement to coach the Patriots.

The Jets and Miami have been rivals basically since the Dolphins came into the AFL. I think the fact that Miami has been a successful franchise since the early 70's has alot to do with it.
You never see the Dolphins go thru a 3-13, or 2-14 season like the Jets, Pats and Bills have and that makes alot of fans crazy.

New England isn't there yet. (As far as being a Jets fans most hated rival, but the have climbed into the top 5)

IMO, I think the Fins vs Jets rivalry is arguably the biggest rivalry in football.

By the way, where is NYRican. He's a cool poster on our board that represents the Jets. I thought he'll be in here by now talkin' about the upcoming matchups.

Re: Great Point!

Originally posted by FinaticalOne

IMO, I think the Fins vs Jets rivalry is arguably the biggest rivalry in football.

it certainly has been the last 20+ years w/o a doubt

Re: Re: Great Point!

Originally posted by dolphan39
it certainly has been the last 20+ years w/o a doubt

Screw this nicey nice crap. I want to beat the livin snot out of the NY jets this sunday!! then piss on herman edwards cus he thought his team was so great!:monkey:

game

I'm here folks how are you. boy o boy its going to be a good game on Sunday. I just hope I don't wilt in the heat..i'm looking foward to meeting miadalphan13, and the crew from this forum.

The fins have played well, and they are well balanced, not the same fins from the past, to me the jury is still out with my Jets.
they played well in the pre-season and I know fans say it does not mean a thing, but i beg to differ.

The Jets have to much talent for this to continue. and you fin fans know what happens when these two teams go at it.

It's going to be all out war on Sunday, I just hope I leave Pro Player with a :) on my face.. not :cry:

may all of you enjoy the game, may all the butterflies in your stomach be going nuts before kickoff, because mine will be.

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldnt agree with you more phinphan. I finally got tired of searching through all the kids posting that the "jets suck! or phins rule!" over at the herald board for an intelligent post. Even though i want the phins to win it all, im not so blind that i dont see that Bledsoe and Brady and Curtis Martin are damn good players.

I doubt the Jets Phins game this week will be close at all though. Either the phins dominate and blow them out or the streak continues and we get embarrassed. I dont think theres any middle ground.

No I see there being middle ground because our O is a lot more diversed this year gives us options we didn't have last year..like we use the TE, The fullback..last year a team only had to concentrate on the WR's, and the running backs...It's been refreshing to see the O work..If our O gets off to a quick start,,we can put some doubt in their D's mind..since they have so many new guys who don't remember the miracle at midnight ...If our D stops them completely..the momentum could finally change to us.

Personally I am scared as **** to play the J-E-T-S. My heart is starting to race right now. I can't stomach another defeat to the J-E-T-S because they are not better than us. I am just hoping and praying that I do not have to throw up come Sunday Night. God I just pray we win the game.!!

Back
Top Bottom