My Take On The Game | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Take On The Game

Good analysis, I’ll add my 2 cents.

I like what I saw from Laird too. Right now I have him neck and neck with Gaskin for Rb3. Walton is just too slow and lacks vision. He’s a easy cut imo.

Eguavoen well I’m in need to learn how to spell and pronounce your name. He’s put McMillan on notice so maybe we’ll see some improved play if he can ever get on the field.

Williams looked like a guy pumped up by the hype. Those three drops we really bad and all on 3rd down. However this game changes nothing. He’ll bounce back due to natural talent and continue to push for time with the ones. That play just before half shows why.

Calhoun had his lunch eaten all day long. He simply isn’t ready and I’m doubting he ever will be. I imagine reed will kick back out there or Grier will have to scour the waiver wire. Yuck.

Prince held his own again looking strong in the run game and fairly decent in pass pro. The local gurus all hated the pick, though maybe they’re wrong and he can at least be a back up who develops into something?

Finally the qbs. I was discouraged by Rosen’s play until I saw Fitz. Fitz looked like he was throwing the competition. His reads, his throws, he just looked like he was robotic or going through the motions as maybe he expected not to play in this game? I’d rather cut him and roll with Rosen and Rudock as if Rosen gets hurt this season is a wash anyway.
I know a lot of fans were at least somewhat excited to get Fitzpatrick. At least he wanted to come here for an opportunity to start.

While he's a quality backup, Fitzpatrick is a below average starter. Sure he'll give you some magic moments. But he'll also have games where he gives you no chance to win.

Rosen clearly had more upside.

One thing that hasn't been touched on about the defense in these past 2 preseason games has been the play of the players in general. I've seen a lot less blown assignments in the 2 games. Under Burke there was lots of confusion and missed assignments. Flores has this team in a fundamentals mood I've not seen from a coach in quite some time. You'd have thought new coach would lead to more confusion, but that's not the case under Flores and Co. So far. It shows on the field.

Last edited:
One thing that hasn't been touched on about the defense in these past 2 preseason games has been the play of the players in general. I've seen maybe 2 blown assignments in the 2 games. Under Burke there was lots of confusion and missed assignments. Flores has this team in a fundamentals mood I've not seen from a coach in quite some time. You'd have thought new coach would lead to more confusion, but that's not the case under Flores and Co. So far. It shows on the field.

Another overlooked positive....is there actually a little depth on defense? Not talking star-quality depth, of course, but the defense has been respectable without Kiko, McMillan, Reshad, TJ, etc.

Another overlooked positive....is there actually a little depth on defense? Not talking star-quality depth, of course, but the defense has been respectable without Kiko, McMillan, Reshad, TJ, etc.

I'm not sure who said it Griese or Taylor but they mentioned when the team went to man a few times the coverage's were blown, one was by Needham I think.

I'm not sure who said it Griese or Taylor but they mentioned when the team went to man a few times the coverage's were blown, one was by Needham I think.
Yes Needham has been the obvious one. But the starters have been almost perfect.

If Tunsil farts at the wrong time, the line is in shambles.

Every Josh Rosen pass. It’s just over 3 minutes:
https://www.miamidolphins.com/video/every-josh-rosen-throw-preseason-week-2-buccaneers-dolphins

I thought he looked like an NFL pocket passer last night. He eluded some pressure. He put the ball in the right spot on every except 3:
1) 4th down at the goal line. But I think he may have been aiming low because of the coverage. Still off
2) slightly behind Gesicki on a crossing route, but I thought it was catchable
3) that almost INT. Sure looked like a miscommunication to me. Maybe it was a misfire, but it looked like he expected Williams to do something different

To be honest it wouldn't surprise me one bit, if Miami chose to cut bait with both Kiko Alonso and Raekwon McMillan. Miami is getting solid LB play from guys like Hanks and Watson in reserve roles and great play from Baker and Eguaveon as the starters. Van Ginkel has stood out as well. He really has looked solid in his sub package role.

I certainly hope they don't get cut but rather traded to someone we won't play any time soon.

The Rosen cake looks about 50% baked IMO.

No clue how much performance upside the finished product will offer.

That's very succinct. He has better awareness and more of a drive to make something happen, but his inconsistency is very much like Tanny at the same stage in Tanny's career. I recognize he's 22, but 50% baked is pretty accurate.

His ceiling looks way higher than tannehill. The ball placement is great on most throws. And obviously, the pocket awareness....

https://www.miamidolphins.com/video/every-josh-rosen-throw-preseason-week-2-buccaneers-dolphins

I thought he looked like an NFL pocket passer last night. He eluded some pressure. He put the ball in the right spot on every except 3:
1) 4th down at the goal line. But I think he may have been aiming low because of the coverage. Still off
3) that almost INT. Sure looked like a miscommunication to me. Maybe it was a misfire, but it looked like he expected Williams to do something different

Here's the advantage elite QBs have.
Brady makes that throw . . . 'he put it the only place he could, but the receiver couldn't pull it in.'
Any other QB makes that throw . . . 'that throw was a little low, but the receiver was open.'
life in the NFL. Was the throw off or did Rosen put it where he had to? Need more evidence.

Here's the advantage elite QBs have.
Brady makes that throw . . . 'he put it the only place he could, but the receiver couldn't pull it in.'
Any other QB makes that throw . . . 'that throw was a little low, but the receiver was open.'
life in the NFL. Was the throw off or did Rosen put it where he had to? Need more evidence.
Rosen put the ball where he had to on that play. Maybe two inches low but only the WR had a chance at that ball there.

As far as Rosen -- thought the kid got rid of the ball faster in college than now?

Watching all his throws last night grouped together he looks like he's "aiming"
the ball and his release/motion seems (a) wind up (b) aim and (c) release.
It just looks s l o w. He needs to speedeverythingup IMO.

I recommend a shot or 2 off espresso before the game!

That low throw on 4th down... I just watched it a couple of times. He threw later than he wanted to. He started his motion and stopped because a big DL jumped in his lane. He waited a beat for the arm to clear out.

3) that almost INT. Sure looked like a miscommunication to me. Maybe it was a misfire, but it looked like he expected Williams to do something different[/QUO

To the people saying they didnt see Dieter playing well I didnt see one play on any of these throws where he didnt throw a good block, he made great initial contact and switched well when needed. He also got out nicely on that screen. Overall the pass pro was very good for rosen against a todd bolwes defense

Back
Top Bottom