My Take on the scrimage(Offesne) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Take on the scrimage(Offesne)

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
Offense:

1st team was looking horrible on their first drive. RW got stopped for no gain on his only carry. Kearse made B.Smith look like a pilon as he ran around him to get an easy sack on Ray. Konrad dropped an easy catch in the flat, but in his defense Ray could have put some touch on it, but decided to fire it in there like a cannon. Finally the last play of the first drive something clicked. Ray pumped faked, and hit a leaping CC for a 25 yard TD. Another spectacular circus catch for CC.Another note on that play RW picked up the blitzing LB perfectly giving Ray just enough time to get rid of the ball. CC almost had another circus catch on a ball thrown high in to triple coverage, but barley dropped at the end.

The 2nd drive was alot better, before it stalled on the 5 yard line. The line held up this drive(1st drive Tenn was in the backfeild almost every play) and gave Ray time to throw. Mcmichael was the key on this drive making 2 catches. Both times he was wide open, but on the first one Ray again fired it in on what should have been a touch pass making Randy juggle it before he hauled it in. Konrad made up for his first drop when he caught a 15 or so yarder in the middle of the feild. As soon as he pulled it in he got leveled by Keith Bullock.

Over all I liked how easy it was for the FB and TE to get open in Norv's offense. That seemed to be what they were focusing on for the 1st unit. Ray looked shaky at best. His deeper stuff looks alot better than the wounded ducks that Jay usually throws, but he really needs to be able to put some touch on his passes. Mcmichael made the biggest impression on me. He looks great running paterns, and should be exciting after the catch as well. Since the first team only ran the ball once or twice run blocking is still a question mark.

2nd Team
I can honestly say we could cut Kustic right now. He had one real nice play when he escaped the pocket and ran for 15 yards, but unfortunitly for him he isn't a RB. His passes look like Matt Turk punts, high and wobbaly. He throw an int in the end zone, the ball may have slipped out of his hand but no defender hit him or anything. It was about a 25 yard pass that had better air time than any punter in the NFL. He completely misfired to Mcmichael who was wide open in the flat. He did complete 2 passes, but they were almost as bad as his incompletions. On of them he looked as though he was firing a pass to Robert Baker, but the ball still was in the air much to long.

On the ohter hand Levcik looked real good. He did lock in on his WR once on a incompletion but beside that he looked great. He throw a perfect touch pass to Barnes in the flat. Then he threw another great touch pass down feild to a WR when the defense blew the coverage. He then fired a TD pass for about 5 yards. He looked good reconazing the defense, and when to put touch on his passes and when to fire them.

Mckinnie looked pretty good since he has only been with the team a few days. He looked comfortable getting to where he needed to be to pick up his blocks.

The only other 2nd teamer that needs mentioning is the rookie 7th round RB(forgot his name). His first run was a very explosive run up the middle. After he got nailed he spun off the hit and picked up another yard. He also carried for a few more 2-3 yard middle runs. He looks promasing, his legs seem to keep churning witch is a great sign for a RB.

The RB's name is Leonard Henry. There was another one there named Barnes who didn't impress too much. It looks like the Titans pretty much dominated the first teams. The Dolphins didn't get too many first downs on that first drive.

Another note was the the first play for our offense the pass that Konrad dropped. It was a very nice package, and ace set(one back if you dont know) with the 2 wrs split very close to the line, and weaver and Konrad split as h-backs. Konrad was lined up close to CC who took both defenders with him as Konrad got wide open. I can't stress enough how awesome it was to see how wide open Turner's system allows the TEs and RBs to get.

LEvcik looked really good to me. He did lock on his guy, but just fired into the endzone between two defenders.

COmpared to Kustok's duck, it was a no brainer.

Kustok, on that running play, would have been called back because #60 tackled the end that beat him.

As much as Dejesus doesn't want to hear this Jay would have been way better than Ray Lucas in the first drive. He is obviuosly the better Quarterback. Jay also doesn't usually throw ducks down the field. That is a misconception created by a couple of plays and then talked about for almost 3 years now.

Hey buddy i wasn't bashing Jay but critisizing Ray. As far as Jay's ducks are concerned watch the tape. It doesn't appear that he can't throw with some zip, but at times telegraphs his passes and puts to much air under them. Either way i was by no means sating that Jay wouldn't have done better. Ray needs to put touch on some passes, and do a better job of scanning the feild. He seemed to lock on to CC.

Jay's deep ball rarely is on target. Thats a fact thats inescapable. Its catchable about half the time, however a lot of those catches had to be adjustments where Chambers would have to make circus catches. HOWEVER, there was not a single throw that Ray Lucas made in that drill, that Jay Fiedler could not have made as good or BETTER than Ray Lucas. Even the 25 yd strike to Chambers.

Dajesus it would probably be a riot to check out my thread on my scrimmage thoughts. We most definitely saw the same scrimmage and its funny how we picked up on the same subtle things.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Jay's deep ball rarely is on target. Thats a fact thats inescapable. Its catchable about half the time, however a lot of those catches had to be adjustments where Chambers would have to make circus catches. HOWEVER, there was not a single throw that Ray Lucas made in that drill, that Jay Fiedler could not have made as good or BETTER than Ray Lucas. Even the 25 yd strike to Chambers.

Dajesus it would probably be a riot to check out my thread on my scrimmage thoughts. We most definitely saw the same scrimmage and its funny how we picked up on the same subtle things.

OK let me say this one more time so even Chambers can understand it. I was simply saying that is was to nice to see deeper routes that have consistent zip on them. I wasn't saying Jay wouldn't have done better or that he couldn't have made that pass and so on. RAY HAS A BETTER ARM THAN JAY that is all Jay is the better QB obviously.

Sorry CK. you are right we did pick up on the same things. The only question i would have for you is why the critisism towards Mcmichael? We have to remember that he is a rookie and was not picked for his blocking. All rookies will make mistakes it just goes with the territory. As far as his blocking goes i can' really say how it is comming along since there was almost no running plays, but if he can become adequit at blocking we should have a star on our hands. I was very impressed how fluid he looks in routes and after the catch. He looks like a WR that has some bulk. I have a feeling Norv will turn this kid in to a star.

By Far the worst performance was Brent Smith.Marcus Spriggs will be moving up the depth charts and we will see how he handles it.We might be seeing Dixon at LT as early as the second preseason game if Spriggs doesn't show anything either.

Smith didn't look good on the first series, but remember on the play that he got beet bad by Kearse, Jevon lined up out side of the TE(weaver) and weaver broke out and didn't even chip him. As a football coach I would be more upset at Jed than Smith on that play. The initial angle made it almost impossible for Smith to get over, so Jed had to chip him to give Smith a chance, but he blew it. The blocking of our TEs seems like it will be one of our biggest weaknesses this season.

Originally posted by Dajesus
Smith didn't look good on the first series, but remember on the play that he got beet bad by Kearse, Jevon lined up out side of the TE(weaver) and weaver broke out and didn't even chip him. As a football coach I would be more upset at Jed than Smith on that play. The initial angle made it almost impossible for Smith to get over, so Jed had to chip him to give Smith a chance, but he blew it. The blocking of our TEs seems like it will be one of our biggest weaknesses this season.

Please dont rely on this TE blocking thang to defend smith dejesus, it was a pass play. Weaver went out for a pass! Smith got burned the play before but lucas got the ball off. smith knew what was coming! it was a pass play. kearse is his responsablility!

scrimage............

DAJESUS wrote: "RW got stopped for no gain on his only carry".......

ricky didn't have just one carry. he had a pretty nice 7-8 yder up the middle and drug the pile some. they know what they have in ricky, he didn't need to carey the rock 37 times in the scrim.

also, everyone is amking this HUGE azz deal about brent smith letting jevon kearse get by him. the freak has gotten by some pro bowl o-linemen a time or two. he only got by smith once. one time. people are writing like he spent the game on his back. not so.

now i don't give a rats rear end about brent smith. i just want the best guy out there. if he is getting beat on a consistant basis in pre season, then make a change. but brent smith at this point doesn't look good or bad.

TENNESSEES STARTERS ABSOLUTELY DID NOT DOMINATE OUR STATRTERS. IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!! we were playing touch ball and tennessee kept running on a few plays that were obviously down. each team had 10-15 plays, not 4 downs. they would have been done had it been a real game. we stoped them when we needed to.

that scrimage clearly went to us. top to bottom. but remeber, ther was NO game plan. it was clear that miami just wanted to see the te's and fb's in the pass game. and they wanted to get levcik and kustok reps.

if that first series was anything, it was fiedler being rusty and konrad being the bum he is. not any domination by the titans.

I'm watching the scrimmage a second time right now via the internet feed which has been archived and is available on the dolphins offical site.

I just got done watching the first drive again (Titans offense vs Dolphins defense) and its funny how you see things differently the second time around. Originally it looked to me like the Titans offense was having its way with us, and I'm sure to the fans at the stadium they thought so as well. However, its not really true. I can see why Zach was mad that they kept running after getting "tackled" and picking up more yardage according to the officials. The way I had it tracked the first play from scrimmage was a run and Eddie would have been down no more than 3 yards from the line of scrimmage. The next play was a pass where Zach would have completely levelled Eddie after he hauled in the pass, possibly fumbling it but even so only gaining another 4 yards which would bring up 3rd and 3. The next play seemed like the Titans would have probably converted because the WR did look like he managed to pick up 3+ yards before being tackled. Yet on each and every one of these plays, the total gain was padded by almost 10 yards a piece due to disagreement over where a guy would have been tackled. The bad news is that after that conversion the titans would have had a sizable 6-7 yard run, and also the 19 yard Eddie George TD...yes, that was most definitely a TD even if it was the regular season. You could see it clearly on the video replay in slow motion that Eddie George had about 3 feet of separation from Zach and had a great angle to break for the endzone and Zach could not catch up. Contrary to what the announcer Nat Moore though, Zach did NOT get his hand on Eddie's jersey.

But something else thats promising. I think they were doing short dumpoffs because it looked like we were getting pressure. I was paying close attention to LDE, and I'm not sure what the rotation is there and the video feed is too poor to see a number, but whoever was there and I suspect it was Dave Bowens most of the time, was really fast, really active, and I noticed was getting off the snap really well. The TD against Zach Thomas might have in fact been a sack had the players been allowed to tackle McNair. Originally I was very disappointed in the Dolphins play in that first drive but now I realize that it pretty much looked like Dolphins football...bend but don't break. Make them run a bunch of plays and eventually something will break for you.

Unfortunately I was just watching our first offensive series and trust me Brent Smith did worst than I thought. I counted about 3 out of 5 plays where Brent allowed Jevon Kearse to wreak havoc and blow up the play. One was a run play where Jevon had his way with Brent and disrupted the flow of the run not allowing Konrad to get an easy target on the LBer to block for Ricky, run went nowhere. Then there was two pass plays one of which Jevon blew past Brent and Ray Lucas had to step up to get away from Kearse, and because of that I believe it screwed up Lucas' concentration and he ended up overthrowing badly Ricky over the middle. Had Brent handled Kearse better Lucas probably wouldn't have had to dump off to Ricky or he would have been calm enough to hit Ricky. The next play Jevon sacked Lucas. Then the next pass play I saw Kearse still had his way with Brent and had the play not been a short drop, had it been a longer pass play, Lucas would have been sacked IMO. There were bright spots though, the plays themselves had excellent designs, and you notice just why Chris Chambers was open for that TD it was because he and McMichael crossed routes and McMichael drew a man with him and the adjustment that had to be made defensively resulted in Chambers having breathing room on the sideline. Also, the run play where Ricky gained like 7-8 yards, was right behind Jamie Nails who just mauled everyone in front of him and blasted a hole 8 yards downfield.

Did I mention that David Bowens drew a double team in the first series? Yup thats right, the guard had to slide over and help the tackle handle David Bowens.

Back
Top Bottom