My thoughts on Mark Brunell | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My thoughts on Mark Brunell

PhinfanBo1

Scout Team
Reaction score
I don't see how anybody can doubt the fact that Mark Brunell at QB is the best for this franchise to progress, and have a chance to win a championship in the next couple of years. Yes, he will be 34 years old in September. Yes, he is a long time starter who has been sacked and hit numerous times and gotten banged up quite a bit. And No, he has never won a super bowl. But in this day and age, how can you possibly expect to get the 25 year old quaterback with championship game experience and perfect health that everyone seems to envision in a Dolphins uniform. We have all got to be realistic; I think this is the year that the Dolphins draft a big, strong armed signal caller that can be that "perfect" quaterback in a few years. But a Phillip Rivers or somebody like that will not be ready to start from Day one; we need a solid veteran who can hit the deep ball, not make a lot of mistakes and lead this football team. Mark Brunell can do that better than any other quaterback we will have a shot at, and certianly better than Jay Fiedler.

First of all, Brunell is a winner. He has been to the AFC championship game, and been on the brink of being a Super Bowl quaterback. He was with that franchise since Day one, and evolved into their franchise player. He has always had a solid TD to Interception ratio; the guy simply does not make a lot of mistakes. Look at his 2002 and 2001 campagins; he was as good a quaterback with less talent, as he was at any time during his career. Acurate, throws the ball down the field, can make plays with his feet; and all of this while playing with one of the worst offensive lines in football. He's not a castoff; without Jimmy Smith, with a terrible line and a banged up Fred Taylor; that team was not going to the playoffs. They knew they could probably win a few more games with Brunell at the helm than Leftwich, but what's the point, why not develop the young gun. Now Brunell has had almost a full season to recover from some of the hits he's taken and get ready to move on.

The first thing is, you can not leave this guy out to dry like the Jaguars did the past couple of years. You have to protect him. That starts with getting a solid RT (maybe Todd Wade, but there are other very good ones out there who could be better), and a consistent young guard. You have to get him another explosive weapon in the passing game, like a Mark Clayton or a Michael Jenkins. Then, this guy could lead a very explosive offense; one that will be the best we've had since Marino.

Brunell is at the right point in his career to join this team as starting QB. He has enough left him to help us get to the SB. I totally agree that we need to make RT our #1 priority after we sign him. Not sure I would like Wade back as our #1 pass protector

I agree!! I don't know why some people say he is "beat up", "washed up", etc. Just look at his stats over his career, and notice how there isn't much drop-off in the most recent years.....they speak for themselves.

Originally posted by DolphinzD
I agree!! I don't know why some people say he is "beat up", "washed up", etc. Just look at his stats over his career, and notice how there isn't much drop-off in the most recent years.....they speak for themselves.

I like him, I want him here for the right price, but he does come with question marks without a doubt. Is he washed up? Only time will tell. Has he been beat up? Without a doubt. I believe he has been sacked the most or near the most as any QB the last 4-years. That includes him missing most of last year.

He is not a sure thing, but he does appear to still have a large upside.

Oliver...

not to put too much into numbers, but you have to like Brunell's career rating of 85.2 compared to Fiedler's 78.1. That just might equate into 1-2 more wins a season. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom