My thoughts on Saturday’s electric practice.. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My thoughts on Saturday’s electric practice..

You run risks of plays being blown up and bad things happening when you ask players to do what they can’t.
But you're getting ahead of yourself here... As far as I know, Gesicki isnt penciled in as the actual #1 TE on this roster... If Mike cant, he mighr very well become only the 4th guy in the reception pecking order and lose those inline TE snaps altogether... thats the worst case scenario here and quite frankly, as a team, if your 4th guy is Gesicki, its not all that bad...

Right, and a compensatory pick. Or perhaps Long emerges enough to free their hand up for a mid-season deal that would bring back even more rich draft capital. This team has needs and depth issues at several positions but TE may not be one of those.
Excellent point about the possible comp pick.

But you're getting ahead of yourself here... As far as I know, Gesicki isnt penciled in as the actual #1 TE on this roster... If Mike cant, he mighr very well become only the 4th guy in the reception pecking order and lose those inline TE snaps altogether... thats the worst case scenario here and quite frankly, as a team, if your 4th guy is Gesicki, its not all that bad...
Agreed and preferred

On comp picks...

We spent it all this year. We won't have any money for big name FAs next year, so when/if we do lose Gesicki/Van Ginkle/etc. We will be in the comp pick market next year.

I think the best way for me to sum up his evaluation is to say when I watched his film/skillset I believed he would do best in closer quarters and closer to the LOS where his height and poor tracking skills would be minimized.

I think with his excellent COD he has better chances of being in the receivers hip therefore easier to deflect passes.

Unfortunately he has not gotten that opportunity and has been used on the Perimeter and has struggled as I suspected he would..

Also think this staff planning on playing Gesicki more in-line is a huge mistake.. but that’s just me.
Actually he spent last camp at nickel and slot CB. He struggled and they realized he's better at boundary CB.

Just a way to get him on the field imo...If Gesicki were to learn to block to an above average level, he'd probably be a top 5 TE in the NFL, as a WR he'll never sniff top 20. Where else are you giving him snaps really? I wouldnt want Gesicki to take snaps away from Hill or Waddle and Wilson is also a guy you'll prefer over Mike in 90% of situations. There's reason there's no long term deal on the table as of yet, they bet the tag they could teach him how to block, and it wasnt that big of a bet to begin with, I dont see how this could end up in the "huge mistake" category... Whats the worst case scenario here? Gesicki ends up being a situational red zone target and they let him go after the season...?
Spot on excellent post.

He can try all he wants, ain’t gonna happen lol.
Respectfully disagree. But this is absolutely nonsense. They guys a more improved blocker than he was from year 1. Which also suggested this comment is wrong.

He can absolutely grow into a serviceable blocker.

My thought is MG is bad at blocking b/c he never wants to do it. Because of that, the other coaches let him get away with it. McD is not one of those. Now he has to "try" his best if he wants to play.
Eh. I seem to remember us all lambasting Gase MG’s rookie year because he was blocking too much.

Gase kept saying that MG had to learn to play the position.

I think the subsequent coaches decided that MG was a liability and only used him (mostly) in routes.

I agree with NBP81. They are seeing if they can make MG into an all around TE before a long term marriage proposal. I don’t think they want to be handcuffed by a TE that can’t block the run.

Anyone betting the franchise tag they can teach gesicki how to block in line after I guess what 4 years of that tape now to go by probably shouldn’t be making personnel decisions.

If Miami tbinks this dude can morph into kittle in line use then we lost already.

I could see in line as in backside cut back type use but if it’s poa you can forget it.

As for the worst case scenario here it’s gesicki wears iso single coverage like drapes when teams can and do take away waddle and hill situationally (which will happen don’t kid yourselves into this false reality that teams can’t double both those guys situationally and force others to make plays to beat them) and you end up as a result failing to convert on 3rd downs or end up kicking fgs.

Respectfully disagree. But this is absolutely nonsense. They guys a more improved blocker than he was from year 1. Which also suggested this comment is wrong.

He can absolutely grow into a serviceable blocker.
What’s nonsense is the notion that they are trying to make him more of an inline blocker

Hope so for our sake but im not counting on it.

He was played correctly last year… over 90 percent of his reps came off the line..there’s a reason for that

You are making an art out of "understatement" - LOL

Anyone betting the franchise tag they can teach gesicki how to block in line after I guess what 4 years of that tape now to go by probably shouldn’t be making personnel decisions.

If Miami tbinks this dude can morph into kittle in line use then we lost already.

I could see in line as in backside cut back type use but if it’s poa you can forget it.
Betting the franchise tag this year as an investment in a better return if/when Gesicki departs next season (after more coaching and some showcasing with an improved offense).

Back
Top Bottom