My thoughts on Saturday’s electric practice.. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My thoughts on Saturday’s electric practice..

But you're getting ahead of yourself here... As far as I know, Gesicki isnt penciled in as the actual #1 TE on this roster... If Mike cant, he mighr very well become only the 4th guy in the reception pecking order and lose those inline TE snaps altogether... thats the worst case scenario here and quite frankly, as a team, if your 4th guy is Gesicki, its not all that bad...

Not happening!

let's be honest, having Gesicki as the 4th receiving option at an 11 mil clip isn't ideal either
Until proven otherwise, to me he is the third best receiving option (excluding backs) behind the dynamic duo. I don't think to can go simply by perceived "slot" value anyway. His production warrants that range of pay. It was a very good decision to tag him IMO.

It’s the definition of theory of diminishing returns with gesicki. That’s the part that I just don’t get that folks don’t realize. But heck the Miami front office doesn’t realize it. Frustrating.

You aren’t taking that frame and making it into a plus in line tight end blocker. It’s like if cleveland took the guy they just tagged similar to gesicki and made him an in line guy. It’s absurd

let's be honest, having Gesicki as the 4th receiving option at an 11 mil clip isn't ideal either
It’s really not that. It’s more of an audition to see if Gesicki is a fit for this offense. It buys time for Miami to find out if they want to invest in him long term in a year when they had a lot of salary cap space.

Most teams or really all teams aren’t gonna pay a guy a tag $11 mil without forcing justification of it on the field.

They just aren’t. Cleveland’s the only one that I think of doing something similar with a similar type player.

And I can’t say that I would agree with that tag/extension either based on the players production or skill set to date. Maybe a little more separation in the cleveland tight ends game. Ehh

Last edited:
It’s really not that. It’s more of an audition to see if Gesicki is a fit for this offense. It buys time for Miami to find out if they want to invest in him long term in a year when they had a lot of salary cap space.

As for this you could roll with long, smythe and shaheen at tight end and be just fine for 2022 and find out in the process if long for example can be that guy for the future. A poor mans Jason whitten potentially

All of which project better in line than gesicki

For as big as Shaheen is, he's not much of a dominating blocker or receiver. I've seen innuendo that he's not a good "team" guy. I'd say Gesicki is the better receiver, a good "team" guy, thus return on investment. Perhaps they think he a mismatch to block downfield, he's certainly not a POA guy? I also think we'll find out about how they plan on using him, and how it works out this year, he'll have to earn his big contract though.

Anyone betting the franchise tag they can teach gesicki how to block in line after I guess what 4 years of that tape now to go by probably shouldn’t be making personnel decisions.

If Miami tbinks this dude can morph into kittle in line use then we lost already.

I could see in line as in backside cut back type use but if it’s poa you can forget it.
Using the tag on Gesicki hasnt kept them from assembling by far the most talented roster for as long as I can remember. So from that angle, the investment is minimal and has no repercussion long term.

The acual probability of the outcome is only half the story. You could make a living wining only 10% of your bets, if the upside on those bets were properly evaluated...

Using the tag on Gesicki hasnt kept them from assembling by far the most talented roster for as long as I can remember. So from that angle, the investment is minimal and has no repercussion long term.

The acual probability of the outcome is only half the story. You could make a living wining only 10% of your bets, if the upside on those bets were properly evaluated...
Besides, 11m doesn't buy you what it once did in a receiver. I certainly don't buy that it is a huge overpay, given the entirety of the circumstances.

That’s a valid point about what $11 mil buys you today but a tagged player should be a true difference maker

Personally, I got a chuckle out of it...'cuz it was something I'd say/think. The media is such a flaming joke, they deserve zero respect...IMO.

Agree. I got a laugh out from it as well.

What does it say about the media when the most positivity they get is from Rich Eisen (a jest fan)?

That’s a valid point about what $11 mil buys you today but a tagged player should be a true difference maker
Meh. If you aren't going to use it anyway, which many teams don't from year to year, that really doesn't figure into the equation. In theory I agree. In this case it isn't like we used it on a high dollar value position, such as edge rusher, Corner, etc.

Like I said, given the circumstances in this specific case, I think it was a wise move.

1st prize in the most desperate to develop a negative comment about another posters post contest- LOL
Only one entry - LOL

confused-icegif.gif

Back
Top Bottom