My Thoughts on the Colts Game | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Thoughts on the Colts Game

Originally posted by Dajesus
See i guess where we are butting heads is somehow you look at this game as a bad thing. Van we won, and only gave up 13 points. If you really want to find something wrong, look at why the offense didn't score any points in the second half, because it wasn't because of the Colts D.

I think in my original post I did look at both sides of the ball. I gave both good and bad points to the game. It's all up there. However this discussion ended up about the defense because that was where you wanted to take it.

My whole point was that we could have easily given up 27. We weren't stopping them at all. I'm absolutely glad we grabbed those INT's because I would have hated to think were we could have easily ended up if we hadn't.

We gave up 427 yards and it could have gone either way.

Fletcher was Harrisons b1tch!! Every play he was getting burned!!

Harrison has been making everyone on the phins his bitch for a few years now. Was definately unfair to put Fletcher on him while he's still getting his own roll down, let alone Surtains.

In the Dolphins' 27-24 victory in Indianapolis, Harrison had nine receptions for 174 yards and three touchdowns.

I think we improved some lol

Our offense was playing fantastic the entire first half and indy seemed completely off balance with norv's excellent play calling. It seemed like after interception (which could have been the backbreaker to the colts just as easily) the offense got a good bit more predictable. Even so Ricky managed to plow his way out of the phins endzone twice. On the drive after the interception, it looked like ricky could have pounded his way for large chunks all the way to the endzone. It was when they put Minor in that the drive stalled. Amazing how Minor seemed to have all kinds of talent when he was sharin the backfield with Lamar Smith but this year he seems like a step below the rest. The next drive the dolphins completely shot themselves in the foot with penalties.

So far Ricky has been fantastic and our Oline has looked great, I just hope they perform as well against the good defences. Remember Lamar Smith rushed for over a hundred yards against the colts D last year too (he also had over a hundred total yards this week against the lions.)

Originally posted by FlybyWyre
Remember Lamar Smith rushed for over a hundred yards against the colts D last year too (he also had over a hundred total yards this week against the lions.)

Actually he ran 21 times for 56 yards today. He caught 3 passes for 77 yards though.

What scares me about Carolina playing Detroit was how they manhandled them on D far better then we did. Peppers is a stud. 5 tackles 3 sacks.

I didn't see or even hear the game because I was at work! :mad: I did follow along on ESPN GameCast and damn was it SWEET! :) I'm off next Sunday for the showdown with the Jets! :evil:

So who cares about how Carolina handled Detroit, we held a potent Indy offense to 13 points! I really think the defense did a great job today. They made the big plays when we needed them the most. Sure Fletcher is pissing me off as much as the next person, but he should not have been covering Marvin Harrison in the first place. Madison had him shut down when Bates grew a brain and switched them. We do need to address the run defense though, because if we hadn't put up such a great early lead, Edge would have absolutely killed us. Once again though, our pass defense stepped up to the challenge. Either way, what counts in the end is the W. Let us celebrate our 0wnage of the Colts once again! :drinkers:

Next week we :monkey: on the Yets!

Guys, it's called bend but don't break. The Colts' first drive in the second half resulted in a punt. That led to the Fiedler pick and there next drive was the goal line stand. At that point, they were up by 3 scores with probably 10 minutes left in the game.

The decision is to drop 6 back in coverage and give them the run. If they were going to beat us with the run they would have to eat up alot of clock. Unfortunately there were too many "ridiculous" pass interference calls that would have been or would have led to drive killers.

In the end this D only gave up 1 TD to one of the best offenses in the NFL without their best corner in the game in the second half. Sure Edge had alot of yards, but that is what they were willing to give up. If your offense can put points on the board it is going to be difficult to get beat by the running game.

You can't stop all three of them...and they were willing to give up the run. Last years game in St. Louis was different...there was no offense..at all!

If your concern is the run D, then pay attention this week. This Jet's team is one demensional and they will be tested by Curtis Martin. But give Edge his due, he is that good. There were times during the game when I couldn't believe how he made some of the Dolphins miss. I'll say it again, he is that good.

Now, quit your crying and sit back and watch this team beat up on the Jets! Oh, it's been a long time comming!

Go Dolphins!

It was mostly penalties that kept the Colts in the game. It seemed that everytime there was a good defensive play on third down it was pass interference. And the same on offense. penalties took miami out of some easier third down situations and took back some good runs.

Fletcher did ok on Harrison. I don't see many 3rd string cornerbacks who could do better.

fletcher was fine. im tired of defending this guy. he did not played bad yesterday. he wasnt great. but he didnt stink up the joint. thsi si his first real year so yeah i wouldnt call for his head until after the season. but right now, he is making more plays than not.

This is his second, not his first year. He allowed at least 150 yards in receptions and had many penalties called against him.

Ice, finfan54 was saying that it was his first real year... since he only barely stepped on the field last year, this is his first year beeing a constant contributer to the D... I believe thats what he meant.

That said, I have to agree about the offensive playcalling in the second half. The playaction that was working so well for us in the first half was all but abandoned in the second half. I hope that the tem regaines their killer instinct before the Jets game, because we just might need it.

PS: anybody know who the Jets leading rusher was this week? Thats right, Punter Matt Turk. (LOL) I'll stick with Royals though thank you.

like it when the other team has the ball for long drives......it gives us more chances for interceptions. :evil:

Originally posted by dreaded34
Guys, it's called bend but don't break. The Colts' first drive in the second half resulted in a punt. That led to the Fiedler pick and there next drive was the goal line stand. At that point, they were up by 3 scores with probably 10 minutes left in the game.

The decision is to drop 6 back in coverage and give them the run. If they were going to beat us with the run they would have to eat up alot of clock. Unfortunately there were too many "ridiculous" pass interference calls that would have been or would have led to drive killers.

In the end this D only gave up 1 TD to one of the best offenses in the NFL without their best corner in the game in the second half. Sure Edge had alot of yards, but that is what they were willing to give up. If your offense can put points on the board it is going to be difficult to get beat by the running game.

You can't stop all three of them...and they were willing to give up the run. Last years game in St. Louis was different...there was no offense..at all!

If your concern is the run D, then pay attention this week. This Jet's team is one demensional and they will be tested by Curtis Martin. But give Edge his due, he is that good. There were times during the game when I couldn't believe how he made some of the Dolphins miss. I'll say it again, he is that good.

Now, quit your crying and sit back and watch this team beat up on the Jets! Oh, it's been a long time comming!

Go Dolphins!

Dropping everyone into coverage was a no brainer, especially after Surtain went down. I shudder to think what Manning would have done otherwise. But even with that said, Bend Don't Break DOESN'T USUALLY WORK. If it does, it's only because you get lucky. In fact, I believe that luck is factored into that philosophy, expecting the other team to screw up at some point on long drives. And we got lucky---today......

OK, wait a second. I'm gonna take a deep breath.......Before I get into a long dissertation on why the BDB philosophy doesn't work (mostly because of offensive talent and defensive mental attitude) I don't want to forget my main point. Bates.

Mid-field consequences aside, extra coverage was probably the better choice yesterday. The problem was that it was the only choice. Why does it always have to be the same predictable thing over and over? Where is the versatility? The defensive play-calling DURING the game? Our defense has players that can be aggressive and take it to the other team instead of just sitting back and waiting. However, Bates continues to just play it safe hoping for an offensive penalty, a fluke tipped ball or four inexplicable goal line running plays. Discipline is one thing but Bates' lack of originality, his vanilla schemes and stubborness scares me the most of anything on this team. We got lucky that it worked yesterday but the last eight times we've played the Jests they've owned all of the luck.

The aggressiveness was what killed the D and kept the Colts' drives going with those pass interfernce calls. Besides, it wasn't the passing that killed the Dolphins in those drives, it was the running game. See Mannings quote:

"They just stayed in man-to-man with double coverage [on the receivers]," Manning said. "They were daring you to run the ball."

And that is what they did. Luck is a part of anything...if it wouldn't have been for a little bit of luck they wouldn't been in the situation to win tie the game at the end. The way the Miami offense had been playing there was no reason why they shouldn't have been able to run the clock out on their last possession.

I don't care...it is a smart call. 10 minutes to go, they need three scores to win....drop back in coverage let them have the run. Miami's offense should have accounted for at least 4 of the 10 minutes and rushing for 3 scores in 6 minutes is next to impossible.

Go Dolphins!

Back
Top Bottom