my thoughts on the oline after watching every snap 3 times. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

my thoughts on the oline after watching every snap 3 times.

nolefin

thank you
Reaction score
the oline was horriable as we all know, but pouncy was pretty good and ingognito was solid. carey was just plain pathetic i bet he dont even make the team, he seems out of position at G maybe age is just catching up, colombo is just as bad, both of these guys were on the ground almost every play after getting abused. murtha actually played decent, not good but decent. bottom line is carey and colombo have gotta go as starters. there is no way garner should not be starting at RG and murtha at RT or bring in someone else. carey and columbo are done period. thats just my observations after watching each play and focusing on the oline.

I am thinking we put Murtha at RT when Long comes back and say a fond farewell to Colombo. He is awful.

Pouncey was not particularly good, I thought. He was only good in relation to what was going on to his right. He got blown up at the goal line (again) and whiffed on at least one other block that I remember, allowing his man to make the play. Incognito was his usual mediocre self. They barely pulled in this game, which was a relief (watching Incog pull makes me want to throw up). But the man to man blocking wasn't particularly working, obviously. Nobody was getting any push. Murtha got beat a few times as well. On one pass play that I remember three out of the four defensive linemen won almost immediately, which is not something you see very often. The only guy who didn't win was double teamed by Pouncey and Incog.

The whole thing was pretty ugly, I thought. The right side was apocalyptic but I didn't find a lot to be hopeful about on the left side either. The common wisdom right now seems to be that after Long comes back we'll move Murtha to the right side and he'll start there. But I'm not sure that's going to fix it. Murtha is better than Columbo (he would pretty much have to be at this point), but he still allows guys to get into his body and jack him up (mediocre base strength). He oversteps, allowing guys to get inside, plays too high at times, doesn't seem to have a very strong punch, and on and on. He's a mediocrity.

We're not going to have a good offensive line this year and that's pretty much all there is to it. If Sparano is around next year I think you can pretty much count on us taking a right tackle in the first round. In fact, I bet they sort of regret not taking Carimi in the first round this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pouncey was not particularly good, I thought. He was only good in relation to what was going on to his right. He got blown up at the goal line (again) and whiffed on at least one other block that I remember, allowing his man to make the play. Incognito was his usual mediocre self. They barely pulled in this game, which was a relief (watching Incog pull makes me want to throw up). But the man to man blocking wasn't particularly working, obviously. Nobody was getting any push. Murtha got beat a few times as well. On one pass play that I remember three out of the four defensive linemen won almost immediately, which is not something you see very often. The only guy who didn't win was double teamed by Pouncey and Incog.

The whole thing was pretty ugly, I thought. The right side was apocalyptic but I didn't find a lot to be hopeful about on the left side either. The common wisdom right now seems to be that after Long comes back we'll move Murtha to the right side and he'll start there. But I'm not sure that's going to fix it. Murtha is better than Columbo (he would pretty much have to be at this point), but he still allows guys to get into his body and jack him up (mediocre base strength). He oversteps, allowing guys to get inside, plays too high at times, doesn't seem to have a very strong punch, and on and on. He's a mediocrity.

We're not going to have a good offensive line this year and that's pretty much all there is to it. If Sparano is around next year I think you can't pretty much count on us taking a right tackle in the first round. In fact, I bet they sort of regret not taking Carimi in the first round this year.

Agree. Long will help, but our OL on the right side is pretty tough to stomach right now. I wouldnt mind bringing in a vet..O'Hara or someone else to play guard. Columbo should be cut. As for next year...if Sparano is around and we arent taking a QB in RD 1, then Henne stepped up and we probably made the playoffs regardless of a mediocre line. If that happens, I can live with a RT in Rd 1 next year. (Although I hate taking linemen in Rd 1 for the most part)

Agree. Long will help, but our OL on the right side is pretty tough to stomach right now. I wouldnt mind bringing in a vet..O'Hara or someone else to play guard. Columbo should be cut. As for next year...if Sparano is around and we arent taking a QB in RD 1, then Henne stepped up and we probably made the playoffs regardless of a mediocre line. If that happens, I can live with a RT in Rd 1 next year. (Although I hate taking linemen in Rd 1 for the most part)

You've got to wonder about these guys (Waters, O'Hara) who are floating around out there, though. Why exactly are they still around?

Actually, I don't think I have to ask. We all know why.

An upgrade is an upgrade but the fact is that if we're counting on old, formerly stalwart offensive lineman who are pounding the pavement right now to be our saviors, I think we're in for a disappointment. It is what it is. And what it is is bad.

Just to put a button on what I saw last night, I would probably give Carey and Columbo extreme negative grades and Murtha and Pouncey moderate negative grades. Incognito would grade out as even.

They have already tried moving Carey around before and it failed big time. CAREY CAN ONLY PLAY RT. He's just not very good elsewhere. Plug him back in at RT in the next preseason game and rotate at RG to find the right fit. Then we can draft a RT in the second round of next year's draft.

We're not going to have a good offensive line this year and that's pretty much all there is to it. If Sparano is around next year I think you can't pretty much count on us taking a right tackle in the first round. In fact, I bet they sort of regret not taking Carimi in the first round this year.

While I agree, I would say this ... careful or you'll be labeled a hater for speaking the truth.

While I agree, I would say this ... careful or you'll be labeled a hater for speaking the truth.

I'm not speaking the truth. I'm just describing what I saw. Anyone is free to disagree.

People who criticize the Dolphins (or anything, really) and then, when people disagree or attack them, hide behind the victimhood of "I'm just speaking the truth, you all are just homers so you can't see it" are, well... let's just say I don't care for that. It's childish and, significantly, it's also untrue.

There is no truth in these matters, only opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree on Pouncey, I thought he looked below average, Carey was the worst in my opinion while dumbo colombo wasn't too far behind, Murtha and Incognito weren't good but also weren't as atrocious as the rest of the group, if I had to rank them from best to worst in last night's game it would be Incognito, Murtha, Pouncey, Colombo, and Carey

I'd love to see us try someone other than Columbo and Carey on the right side. I really don't understand why Garner isn't getting first team work, he can't be worse than either of those guys.

What is going to be bad is the regular season.

The defensive coaches of the teams we play will have packages to stuff our run and get to Chad Henne.

Matt Moore might end up as the starting QB because Chad Henne is knock out.

Garner is better than Carey, Murtha, Jerry, Berger, and for the time being, Pouncey.
The problem is that coaching staff wants to keep him in reserve to spell the other players in the game.
I would move Carey into back up status(probably what he wants anyways) and line up like this..
Long - Incognito - Pouncey - Garner - Murtha
We need to pick up a couple of serviceable veteran back up guard and tackle on the waiver wire.
The long term solution cannot be achieved until next season.

Maybe we could motivate Carey by hanging a bucket of KFC chicken from a short pole attached to his helmet right in front of his face mask.

Garner is better than Carey, Murtha, Jerry, Berger, and for the time being, Pouncey.
The problem is that coaching staff wants to keep him in reserve to spell the other players in the game.
I would move Carey into back up status(probably what he wants anyways) and line up like this..
Long - Incognito - Pouncey - Garner - Murtha
We need to pick up a couple of serviceable veteran back up guard and tackle on the waiver wire.
The long term solution cannot be achieved until next season.

Maybe we could motivate Carey by hanging a bucket of KFC chicken from a short pole attached to his helmet right in front of his face mask.

:lol:

the first person who suggested putting Carey at guard and Codumbo at tackle should be fired.

Back
Top Bottom