My Top 10...who Do You Pick "if"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mwestberry, Apr 16, 2018.

1. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

James is gone in this scenario

2. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I don't normally want a guard at 11. You want an impact position and guard is not an impact position. Notice I didn't say that is not important but in a passing league you want to draft pass offense(QB,LT) or pass defense(DE,FS,Corner) but you also have to see who's there. If Nelson is so much better than everyone on your board at that time then it'd make sense to at least consider him. I'd start him and move Davis to RT and try to trade James who imo will leave after this coming season anyway.

Chuck-182 and DolfinJohnNY like this.
  3. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

I think with the ammo the Bills have if the player they covet
    is available in the top few picks of the draft they will move up.

Buffalo currently sits at No. 12 and No. 22 in the first round,
    along with two picks in the second round and two in the third.
    They have plenty of ammo to get into the top five to draft the quarterback of the future

I don't see them as reactive but more pro active

4. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

I would be really surprised if two LB’s AND two safeties go top 10. Minkah is gonna drop. I would bet on it. Edmunds might drop too. We always forget how none of the actual football minds have given their opinions yet and assume we have a clue how the draft will fall. Every year we find out how wrong we were.

Edmunds imo is a much riskier pick than most people seem to think. I hate to use this comp because it isn’t great but Vernon Gholston comes to mind when I think of physical freaks that dominated in college off pure athletic ability but had questions about their football IQ. I like edmunds and think at 11 he could be a great pickup, but it’s no sure thing.

5. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

I love the idea of getting a Zach Martin type player in Nelson but in FA we just landed a Pro Bowl LG and we're set at RG with ascending Iowa RG Jesse Davis. The line, complete with depth, seems set. In addition, I don't recall a mock where Nelson falls out of the top ten. If this exact situation unfolds take Nelson and move on, you never have enough o-linemen. But, and this is a big but, Allen is on the board, and you have to turn that into more picks if you truly don't like Allen.

mwestberry likes this.
  6. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Not the greatest scenario for Miami. I'm hoping either Edmunds or Smith drops and I think one of them could, most likely Smith.

I know a lot may disagree, but I'd gamble on Lamar Jackson. He has a long way to go with mechanics, footwork etc. But, I've also never seen a more athletic quarterback. In a way, he's a blank slate for a coach like Gase. I think Gase could get his foot work in order, he could sit for a year behind Tannehill and could be well-suited for a RPO offense, even adding a "wildcat" dimension there.

Jackson has most often been compared to Robert Griffin III, but I don't think he's as good a passer coming out. I think he's more like Colin Kaepernick, able to get chunk yards with his legs, won't beat you if forced to work entirely from the pocket (at least for now), nice deep game.

Certainly would consider Nelson there as well and Bryan, who I like a lot. Even Guice, who could give Miami similar production that Ajayi did in 2016 -- dictate the running game more.

7. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

How come you feel Minkah will drop?

8. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

He's listed as picked.

9. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

You take Nelson in that scenario. And then you nod, shrug, and say "Welp." And then you think, "Hey, the Fins just got much better in the trenches."

10. dtjp17

dtjp17 Well-Known Member

Quentin Nelson the best guard in the draft and solidly the OL

11. PhishyPhishy

PhishyPhishy Well-Known Member

Easy question. Quentin Nelson every time and I'm thrilled about it.

12. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

That is true but it wasn't the scenario for this exercise. It lists Allen as being available at 11.

13. SF Dolphin Fan

We are set, but lots of short-term contracts on the offensive line as well. Nelson could probably play center if needed as well and Davis isn't a sure thing at RG.

rickd13 and BSQ like this.
  14. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

Because there’s been some rumors that his teammate whatever his name is is actually a better prospect, and he didn’t do that great comparatively to other safeties like James at the combine. I think he is a safe pick but he isn’t as elite of a prospect as most thought. I would love to get him though because he brings intelligence and is reportedly very hard working, which is obviously what we’re looking for. I just see him being the one player that’s been mocked top ten to drop.

15. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

I keep hearing the Bills are in love with Allen so unless Josh Allen goes #1, there should be a trade up to 2 or 4 to get him. Personally I am not worried about facing Rosen or Allen twice a year. I just don't want to see Mayfield in NY or Buffalo and to a lesser degree, Sam Darnold.

16. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Da Dalphins

Pretty uninspiring "high light" tape. Smith and Edmunds are mountains better than LVE. And I am not basing this off that "high light" tape.

17. SF Dolphin Fan

I would like to amend my pick. I didn't realize Josh Allen was available. I think he could even go #1 overall to Cleveland.

A little boom or bust, but again I think Gase could help him become a really good quarterback in the league.

rickd13 likes this.
  18. mwestberry

mwestberry FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Thanks to all who played the game...I believe in this scenario that we pick the safest most sure thing....IMO that would be Nelson...I don't want our #1 to be a wait and see type player....Nelson starts day one

Wishfishin likes this.
  19. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase Finheaven VIP

LMAO I didn’t even read it that well.

Excuse my comment hahaha.

20. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Aside from being safe, he's the antithesis of what's plagued your offense for a decade. On the field and in the locker room.

I want the kind of OL play that garners gifts from QB's and RB's in the off season as a thank you.

mwestberry likes this.
  21. Birdmond

Birdmond FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

And I just read that according to Charlie Campbell, some teams have removed LVE from their board completely due to medical concerns.

22. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

I have to give Tannehill props for knowing the value of his o-line. While Zeke Elliot gifted John Deer UTV's for their work, Tannehill settled for Yeti Coolers. He probably over-gifted considering it was after Campbell took out his knee.

rickd13 likes this.
  23. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

This won't happen. Not a chance in hell that Nelson slips out of the top 10. I feel the same way about Josh Allen, though I personally wouldn't draft him before the second round. They will push two of those elite defensive players out of the top 10.

24. mwestberry

mwestberry FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

You may be right...but that's not the game we are playing....

25. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

I think the same thing about a few players but someone will squeeze through the cracks.

That's why they call it best case scenario though. Other than Saquan Barkely or Bradley Chubb I don't think there is another player in this draft that can more drastically affect the overall point differential per game this season, from a + standpoint.

So ya very unlikely but if Chicago has other plans, anything is possible after that. SF needs to replace Rueben Foster. If he evens last's to 8.

26. josephreese

josephreese Since '76

I laughed, but that sounds about right to me. Sometimes the right pick isn't the most exciting pick.

A quality player that can help right away is going to drop to the 11th pick. It doesn't matter how many teams jump ahead of us. If only 3 QBs get picked in the top 10, we'll still have some good choices when our clock starts. If 4 QBs go in the top 10, all the better. We're in a great spot at 11.

Michael Scott likes this.
  27. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

Yeah.

There may never be a better time for this image than if that happens:

[​IMG]

Chuck-182, josephreese and rickd13 like this.
  28. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Nelson might not even start if we draft him. Sitton and Jesse Davis are studs

29. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

If Mayfield, Rosen, Edmunds, Smith, James, and Fitzpatrick are all gone then I'm trading down. But again, we'd have to be super unlucky for that to be the case. I don't see it.

If we can't trade down then I'd just draft Nelson. He's probably the closest to a sure thing/cleanest prospect in this draft along with Barkley. I'm good with our current offensive line though. Not a need pick at all, but a player who will probably give a team 10 years of excellence.

mwestberry likes this.
  30. rickd13

rickd13 Scout Team

That's how I feel about Marcus Davenport.

DKphin likes this.
  31. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

In that scenario I can’t see passing on Q. Nelson, or taking Josh Allen. But they won’t be there.

I see all 4 QB’s going top ten...Barkley and Nelson gone on offense.

Chubb, R. Smith, Edmunds, & Fitzpatrick gone on defense.

So our choice will come down too James, Ward, Vea, Calvin Ridley...sleeper picks(possibly in trade down) Jackson or TE Gesnicki(spelling?)

Pandarilla likes this.
  32. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

I agree, if we see any CB's go in the top ten, then we'll have a shot at someone.

33. BlueUndertow

BlueUndertow Well-Known Member

If these picks are off the board and Buffalo is still at #12, I think you take a good long look at what Josh Allen may be worth to a team. Field some trade down offers from Buffalo or Arizona. Maybe Buffalo even and take Nelson at #12.

34. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

First of all this would suck, but in this scenerio I'd go Nelson.

Chuck-182 likes this.
  35. MinnFinFan

MinnFinFan Active Member

In that scenario, I'd take Nelson and maybe our Oline is finally a dominant unit.

36. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

Jesse Davis is a stud? Like in the sense that he's a really good looking guy?

Chuck-182 likes this.
  37. FINOMINAL

FINOMINAL Scout Team

Quenton Nelson is projected top ten, if you take Nelson and a guy like Frank Ragnow later you are really building a wall for your quarterback for years.

superphin likes this.
  38. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

39. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Players I'd consider:

Nelson, Landry, Davenport, Vander Esch, and even Justin Reid and Josh Jackson.

Landry is cleaner than Davenport, but Davenport is the better fit, and he has dynamite in his hands, so I'd favor him in that matchup. I'd like to see Landry play in a 3-4.

It would be hard to pass on Nelson, but Miami's pass rush was worse than its pass protection in 2017, and they added Sitton in FA. For people not as high on Davenport, Nelson is an easy call, but I have Davenport as a top-10 player. So, I'd favor Davenport again.

LVE vs Davenport is tough, because Miami desperately needs to add speed and instincts to LB. If I felt comfortable that I could draft Malik Jefferson at 42, I'd lean toward Davenport. Because, I don't think you'll add be able to make a better pairing than Davenport/Jefferson with LVE/DE.

But if Miami drafted Nelson, Davenport, Landry, or LVE, I'd be happy - given that Mayfield and Roquan Smith are off the board.

mwestberry, FSU Truth and rickd13 like this.
  40. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

Where you seeing this?

I think Edmunds is a clear cut better prospect but we'll see.