My Way Too Early First Miami Mock Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Way Too Early First Miami Mock Draft

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
You guessed it. I have way too much time on my hands! Enough to start studying the 2021 draft prospects. For the purpose of this mock, I'm assuming Miami picks in the middle of the round, in the 12-15 range. I think the pick from Houston will be in the 18-22 range. In other words too low for Chase, Parsons etc. unless Miami trades up.

Biggest needs ----- center, right tackle, slot wr, pass rusher, safety, rb if Breida not signed, maybe run-stopping DT.

1. Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama --- Leatherwood has experience all over the offensive line and fits the physical mode Miami is looking for.
1. Patrick Jones II, DE, Pittsburgh --- A bigger DE with a non-stop motor and a ton of untapped potential. This is a little high for him going into 2020 season.
2. Amon-Ra St. Brown, Wr., USC --- Slot addition for Miami who runs smooth routes. Underrated with such a good group of receivers.
2. Journey Brown, RB, Penn State --- One of the faster players in the draft with a reported 4.29 40. Brown's speed shows up on the field. More Breida than Howard, but can break tackles.
3. Richie Grant, S, Central Florida --- I thought about safety in R1. This is a big area of need for Miami.
4. Justin Ross, Wr. Clemson --- A first round talent who drops because of injury.
5. Alec Lindsrom, C/G Boston College --- Competition at center. Karras is on a one year deal.
6. Olaijah Griffin, CB, USC --- Miami likely takes a corner somewhere, higher if Howard continues to be an injury risk.
6. Todd Harris Jr., S, LSU --- Dolphins double up at safety.

7 traded? I'm not sure which pick was traded to Chi for the tight end.

Out of all the great players who could be available in the 2021 draft, Patrick Jones has me most intrigued and excited. Not sure where he eventually gets drafted but he's got a lot to like. Leatherwood I think would complete the OL rebuild, especially if Jackson and Hunt develop.

Out of all the great players who could be available in the 2021 draft, Patrick Jones has me most intrigued and excited. Not sure where he eventually gets drafted but he's got a lot to like. Leatherwood I think would complete the OL rebuild, especially if Jackson and Hunt develop.
I agree with you on Jones. I think Miami will be looking for a complete DE, meaning someone who can set the edge. There are more exciting pass rushers out there, but Jones screams Flores target to me. Aidan Hutchinson from Michigan is another to watch at DE. And I think Miami will prioritize that over wide receiver. If Howard continues to be an injury concern, CB is suddenly high on the list.

I agree with you on Jones. I think Miami will be looking for a complete DE, meaning someone who can set the edge. There are more exciting pass rushers out there, but Jones screams Flores target to me. Aidan Hutchinson from Michigan is another to watch at DE. And I think Miami will prioritize that over wide receiver. If Howard continues to be an injury concern, CB is suddenly high on the list.
I agree with your opinion. Caleb Farley is a guy at CB, I'd think would interest Miami, if Somehow, Howard falters or continues to have injury issues. Farley seems like a Flores type DB. Raekwon Davis, could be a guy that fits the mold of 3-4 DE, because he's so stout against the run. It could be Davis is used as a versatile DLineman, all along the front 4. That would lessen the need for potentially drafting another DE, early in 2021.

Miami will be in a position to trade up if they want to target a player.

They have extra picks and what should be fewer needs so they can go up for a pass rusher for example.

Miami will be in a position to trade up if they want to target a player.

They have extra picks and what should be fewer needs so they can go up for a pass rusher for example.
Definitely true. The front office has positioned the team well to make key moves if need be.

Plus, we don't know yet how players will develop. Perhaps Robert Hunt absolutely nails down the RT spot. That would take away a huge need.

Maybe Lawson emerges at one defensive end spot.

Like you said, fewer needs the team can perhaps target specific players.

Think Lindstrom probably goes a bit higher than that. He's not quite as dominant as his brother was, but he's not far off.

If we draft an OL other than Penai I will lose my ****. We need playmakers, Roussea, Chase, Parsons even.

If we draft an OL other than Penai I will lose my ****. We need playmakers, Roussea, Chase, Parsons even.
Obviously a lot of "ifs" right now. If Miami picks in the top 10, the team likely has a shot at Chase, Sewell, Parsons etc. I think the Dolphins end up in the next group, closer to the middle of the pack.

The situation with X. Howard bears watching as well. If he can't get healthy, corner likely trumps a lot of other needs. I think Flores will value a pass rusher and a corner above almost any wide receiver prospect, with the possible exception of Chase.

Got to protect Tua, my man.

I don't disagree but how many years of drafting is going to get this line right? We just used 1st and 2nd round picks this past draft and free agency. We have Parker and not much else on offense. On defense we just drafted a CB in the 1st round so we should be OK there plus Needham. We need a DE, WR, RB and possibly LB. Unless their is a STUD OT after Penai then I am looking in the 2nd or 3rd round for OL. NE seems to not have to draft their OL in the 1st round every year.

Sewell is going to be the 1st non QB taken.

Miami is going to need the 2nd or 3rd pick to get him.

I think we will need to add another OT early but the 1st pick will probably be more of a play maker, either a big time WR, or more likely a front 7 impact defender like Parsons or Rousseau.

I am not against a 1st round WR, but I don't like the idea of a top 10 pick at that spot.And i would prefer to wait on WR or RB until later, R 2 for Wr and R 3 for a RB.

But if the defense plays really well this year then going Chase/Etienne would not be totally crazy.

More likely we go D/OT in R 1 and then Wr/RB in R 2.

I don't disagree but how many years of drafting is going to get this line right? We just used 1st and 2nd round picks this past draft and free agency. We have Parker and not much else on offense. On defense we just drafted a CB in the 1st round so we should be OK there plus Needham. We need a DE, WR, RB and possibly LB. Unless their is a STUD OT after Penai then I am looking in the 2nd or 3rd round for OL. NE seems to not have to draft their OL in the 1st round every year.

I hear ya man, it's going to depend on who is there. I just don't think you can rule out any OL not named Sewell, much like you can't rule out a WR or Edge. The board will talk.

Begin Rant:

I truly hate the ugly, hypocritical lie that is big time money making college athletics.

The pandemic and a lot of other factors like the G league and overseas basketball is well on the way to killing college basketball(good riddance)and perhaps this kind of nonsense will help put college football in the ground as well.

The notion of 'students" representing their colleges in athletic contests is silly and very early 20th century.

Give these players a place where they can go and practice vocational training to attempt to find a career in professional sports and dump all the hypocrisy.

We do not need college sports, at least not big time money making sports.They exists to line the pockets of everyone involved......except the people who are actually needed to put on the events....the players.

I know the NFL supports college football because it is a cheap(FREE)source of talent for their product. And a few college towns exists purely because of the big time football program.

But there used to be lots of things that we don't have anymore, and i would be happy to see the whole college sports model follow them into the sunset.

End Rant.

Back
Top Bottom