My Way Too Early First Miami Mock Draft | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Way Too Early First Miami Mock Draft

Which would be a mistake. Especially in this era of offensive friendly rules.

We all want to see an upper tier or elite level defense. But you gotta score too. And you need playmakers to accomplish that.

KC didn’t win last season’s SB nor are they the favorite to win this season’s SB largely because of their defense. They arguably boast the most explosive offense in the game. With an elite QB and the most explosive WR in the game.

I’m all in on Ja‘Marr Chase — who I believe was the best WR in college football last season.

I really like Parson’s, but a playmaker like Chase can provide more impact.
Fair point. I absolutely love Chase and he would be exactly what Miami needs on offense.

I suppose you could go Parsons and someone like Smith from Alabama. The Dolphins need someone who can consistently separate.

RBs drafted in the first round want to be re-signed like players drafted in the first should be paid. That’s my issue with RBs, if I’m adding one early it’s literally got to be the last piece to the puzzle.

I’d rather talk centers and OGs than a RB.

More meat and potatoes are necessary, first.

RBs drafted in the first round want to be re-signed like players drafted in the first should be paid. That’s my issue with RBs, if I’m adding one early it’s literally got to be the last piece to the puzzle.

I’d rather talk centers and OGs than a RB.

More meat and potatoes are necessary, first.
I don't know if Miami is at that stage yet, either. May need more help than anticipated on the defensive line, depending on how things go the rest of the season.

I don't know if Miami is at that stage yet, either. May need more help than anticipated on the defensive line, depending on how things go the rest of the season.

We definitely need a defender or two who is “unblockable”.

I did want to see more of Rousseau this year but that might’ve been a double edge sword because he could’ve played himself into a top 3 draft position.

That is why you should not take RB's that high.

Not only are you overspending in Draft capital, but if he turns out great, like McCaffery or Elliot, you then have to overpay with your cash and Cap.

Build a strong OL and you will have a strong running game with cheaper, easier to find backs.

I want to give an honest assessment of Greg Rousseau. He has every single trait that an elite defensive end needs. Length, effort, flexibility, decent get off, and good pad level. Although he needs to be more consistent with the last two. He's a young player.

However, what I wanted to talk about was what my concerns are with him, and why I'm not quite sold on him as a top 10 pick. When I watch the tape, it just doesn't necessarily jive with the 15.5 sacks.

He got 7 of those sacks in 2 games back to back against Pittsburgh and Florida St.

Against Pittsburgh, he got one sack where he actually dropped into coverage, but Kenny Pickett left the pocket prematurely to scramble towards the sideline - Rousseau came up to meet him and Pickett just ran out of bounds short of the LOS instead of throwing the ball away like he was supposed to. He got credited with a sack. The two other sacks were just instances of the quarterback running himself into sacks rather than Rousseau actually beating an offensive lineman in a timely fashion.

Against Florida St., 3 sacks came against guards where they lined up him inside. These FSU guards are not good and embarrassingly off balance. Rousseau got a sack against Brady Scott, another against Cole Minshew, and another against freshman guard Derrick McLendon.

Against UNC, again he was working against freshman guard Ed Montilus where he was credited with a sack.

Against C. Michigan, he got a sack against freshman guard Danny Motowski.

Got a sack against Virginia Tech working against TE James Mitchell.

You just see fairly mediocre college quarterbacks running themselves into sacks with Greg Rousseau over and over again.

My point is, not all sacks are the same. I think people are under the impression that Rousseau was just terrorizing offensive tackles around the edge as a freshman and beating their brains in on his way to 15.5 sacks - and would've had 30 sacks this year as a sophomore. Not the case.

He doesn't beat tackles around the edge, and hasn't developed any pass rush moves yet. All he does is a two handed bull rush, and it's what prevents him from being able to disengage from blocks in a timely fashion. I'd like to see him learn how to long arm and keep one arm free instead of engaging with both hands every time.

Secondly, he has to develop a dip-and-rip and learn the push/pull technique.

In reality, I think he's a pure strongside DE in an even front, or even a 4i technique. He may even have to add 15 pounds or so and play as a 5T.

It really would've provided a clearer picture in terms of his development had he played this season. We've seen pass rushers like Aaron Maybin and others have one big season early in their college careers and ride that hype into being overdrafted. The experts will even try to tell you Raekwon Davis was going to be a top 10 pick after his sophomore season. All he did was get worse as his career went on.

You just have to be mindful and really do your tape study to find where the truth really lies. If all Greg Rousseau is going to have on film is his freshman tape to evaluate, I don't grade him as a top 10 pick. But he has enough tools to be the top underclassman DE in my rankings to start out. But I'm here to tell you this kid isn't Nick Bosa or Myles Garrett. He doesn't move like them. He's not wound as tightly as they were. It's a no from me. No sir. No way.

We definitely need a defender or two who is “unblockable”.

I did want to see more of Rousseau this year but that might’ve been a double edge sword because he could’ve played himself into a top 3 draft position.
If the offensive line comes together, I could see Miami concentrating on the front 7 on defense. I still think Robert Hunt is one of the biggest keys to the draft. Davis is serviceable at RT, but not the long-term answer. If Hunt isn't either, that's a big priority.

It would be nice to just need a wr on offense and focus almost entirely on D.

That is why you should not take RB's that high.

Not only are you overspending in Draft capital, but if he turns out great, like McCaffery or Elliot, you then have to overpay with your cash and Cap.

Build a strong OL and you will have a strong running game with cheaper, easier to find backs.
Mostly agree, unless it's an elite guy. It can become problematic salary-cap wise though. I think most teams have proven you can find a back later.

I want to give an honest assessment of Greg Rousseau. He has every single trait that an elite defensive end needs. Length, effort, flexibility, decent get off, and good pad level. Although he needs to be more consistent with the last two. He's a young player.

However, what I wanted to talk about was what my concerns are with him, and why I'm not quite sold on him as a top 10 pick. When I watch the tape, it just doesn't necessarily jive with the 15.5 sacks.

He got 7 of those sacks in 2 games back to back against Pittsburgh and Florida St.

Against Pittsburgh, he got one sack where he actually dropped into coverage, but Kenny Pickett left the pocket prematurely to scramble towards the sideline - Rousseau came up to meet him and Pickett just ran out of bounds short of the LOS instead of throwing the ball away like he was supposed to. He got credited with a sack. The two other sacks were just instances of the quarterback running himself into sacks rather than Rousseau actually beating an offensive lineman in a timely fashion.

Against Florida St., 3 sacks came against guards where they lined up him inside. These FSU guards are not good and embarrassingly off balance. Rousseau got a sack against Brady Scott, another against Cole Minshew, and another against freshman guard Derrick McLendon.

Against UNC, again he was working against freshman guard Ed Montilus where he was credited with a sack.

Against C. Michigan, he got a sack against freshman guard Danny Motowski.

Got a sack against Virginia Tech working against TE James Mitchell.

You just see fairly mediocre college quarterbacks running themselves into sacks with Greg Rousseau over and over again.

My point is, not all sacks are the same. I think people are under the impression that Rousseau was just terrorizing offensive tackles around the edge as a freshman and beating their brains in on his way to 15.5 sacks - and would've had 30 sacks this year as a sophomore. Not the case.

He doesn't beat tackles around the edge, and hasn't developed any pass rush moves yet. All he does is a two handed bull rush, and it's what prevents him from being able to disengage from blocks in a timely fashion. I'd like to see him learn how to long arm and keep one arm free instead of engaging with both hands every time.

Secondly, he has to develop a dip-and-rip and learn the push/pull technique.

In reality, I think he's a pure strongside DE in an even front, or even a 4i technique. He may even have to add 15 pounds or so and play as a 5T.

It really would've provided a clearer picture in terms of his development had he played this season. We've seen pass rushers like Aaron Maybin and others have one big season early in their college careers and ride that hype into being overdrafted. The experts will even try to tell you Raekwon Davis was going to be a top 10 pick after his sophomore season. All he did was get worse as his career went on.

You just have to be mindful and really do your tape study to find where the truth really lies. If all Greg Rousseau is going to have on film is his freshman tape to evaluate, I don't grade him as a top 10 pick. But he has enough tools to be the top underclassman DE in my rankings to start out. But I'm here to tell you this kid isn't Nick Bosa or Myles Garrett. He doesn't move like them. He's not wound as tightly as they were. It's a no from me. No sir. No way.
Who do you see as best fits for Miami at DE? I think the front 7 could end up being a priority in next year's draft. I realize we're just one game into the season so it's early, but the Dolphins defense made things so easy for NE. At the very least, I want a defense that can make a few plays, that forces teams to beat them without being so simple and conservative. Thoughts?

Who do you see as best fits for Miami at DE? I think the front 7 could end up being a priority in next year's draft. I realize we're just one game into the season so it's early, but the Dolphins defense made things so easy for NE. At the very least, I want a defense that can make a few plays, that forces teams to beat them without being so simple and conservative. Thoughts?

I'll tell you two kids that I like - Kwity Paye and LaBryan Ray.

You need length and strong hand usage. Guys who can line up in various techniques, set a strong edge, but also in the top 2% of speed and athleticism among the entire class of DE's in order to chase down loose plays.

In other words, just any old 6'6", 280 pound guy that runs 4.85 and stays blocked ain't gonna do you a bit of good. You must have true difference makers in the front 7.

I'll tell you two kids that I like - Kwity Paye and LaBryan Ray.

You need length and strong hand usage. Guys who can line up in various techniques, set a strong edge, but also in the top 2% of speed and athleticism among the entire class of DE's in order to chase down loose plays.

In other words, just any old 6'6", 280 pound guy that runs 4.85 and stays blocked ain't gonna do you a bit of good. You must have true difference makers in the front 7.
Do you also see front 7 as the focus? I know Miami could potentially need a RT and a WR.

Back
Top Bottom