Myth: Drafting a Nickel Corner is a Luxury | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Myth: Drafting a Nickel Corner is a Luxury

I can accept this answer much better than we needed another CB...blah, blag, blah.
We didn't NEED another corner.

If you want to debate Noah vs McKinney (or some other safety) I might be on your side.

But I don't get why it would make you feel so much better to have Noah at safety, when he can play just as many snaps in our CB rotation.

We do need safeties, but this is a rebuild. We'll get safeties.

It’s a PASSING LEAGUE and WE HAVE THE BEST SECONDARY.
I like everything about the Noah I selection at #30. They moved down which was a huge plus. The kid seems super athletic and twitchy. Strengths are in face- man coverage. High profile position and goes to building our identity. When have we had the best of anything.

We didn't NEED another corner.

If you want to debate Noah vs McKinney (or some other safety) I might be on your side.

But I don't get why it would make you feel so much better to have Noah at safety, when he can play just as many snaps in our CB rotation.

We do need safeties, but this is a rebuild. We'll get safeties.
I don't want Noah at safety. I wanted McKinney, Winfield, or Delpit at safety. I could and would have stomached Noah being taken instead of Davis, then in the first round.

Taking a quick gander at the top slot corners:
  • Nickel Robey-Colemen - UDFA
  • Mackensie Alexander - 2nd
  • Justin Coleman (highest paid) - UDFA
  • Desmond King - 5th round
  • Bryce Callahan - UDFA
  • Kenny Moore - UDFA
  • Chris Harris - UDFA
I'm not saying I don't like the player. I'm saying I don't like the pick, and also that slot CB is a luxury pick.

I'm saying I don't like the pick, and also that slot CB is a luxury pick.

Yet you’ve provided nothing of any substance to back that statement up.

Meanwhile numerous others in this thread have done a good job outlining why slot corner, or just having more than 2 or 3 corners, is much more important than some of you choose to believe.

Yet you’ve provided nothing of any substance to back that statement up.

Meanwhile numerous others in this thread have done a good job outlining why slot corner, or just having more than 2 or 3 corners, is much more important than some of you choose to believe.
Ahhh...the popularity contest.

Never mind that I listed the top slot corners in the league...and their draft positions. Why was that left out of your response?

That isn't substance to you?

But he ISN'T a slot CB. He might have to settle for playing that position due to depth on the team but that doesn't mean he isn't a viable starting quality boundary CB. You seem to be missing that point. Better to draft a replacement for your most important players a year too early rather than a year too late.

You do draft CB's in the first round. You shouldn't draft a safety in the first round though. CB's that aren't good enough are often turned into a safety. Never seen it work the other way.

Is this what it's like to be a Dolphin fan?

Somebody has an opinion different than yours and we're "mad". What happened to having a disagreement on a message board?

I don't like the pick...you obviously love the pick.

Good.

For.

You.

Bobby McCain was one of the best slot CB's in the league and was moved to the boundary. We drafted him. You don't let quality players you draft walk out the door. Yes, he is a quality player...at the slot particulary, it may hurt your feelings but he was. That said, I don't like slot in the 1st round. I also don't like the smell of gasoline. Does that make me wrong about not wanting to have my windows down at the pump?
What it's like being a Dolphin fan, is having other Dolphin fans try to convince you that Bobby McCain was one of the best slot corners in the league.

But he ISN'T a slot CB. He might have to settle for playing that position due to depth on the team but that doesn't mean he isn't a viable starting quality boundary CB. You seem to be missing that point. Better to draft a replacement for your most important players a year too early rather than a year too late.

You do draft CB's in the first round. You shouldn't draft a safety in the first round though. CB's that aren't good enough are often turned into a safety. Never seen it work the other way.

We just paid a guy a boatload of money to be our feature CB...

He was a FS in a previous life....

What makes him valuable is that he can start on the boundary or slot and also play safety in the box.

Could also have something to do with this.
Jeezus somebody trade this ****, had no idea he had that many knee injuries plus that legal BS.. He is washed up at this point and for 13 million a season. Out of curiosity is this all the same knee he keeps injuring? There has to be no cartilage left in those knees

Last edited:
Ceedee looks like a future all pro and no body expected him to drop as far as he did.

Noah is a project that no one expected him to be drafted as high as he was.

I really hope Noah turns into a stud but if Ceedee would’ve fallen one more pick we would’ve been fools not to draft him and yes I know who our wrs already are.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-miami-young-cornerbacks-reportedly-look-good-in-otas

If you don't like the guy's contract is one thing. To be ignorant about what he's contributed at the position is question is another.

The problem is that we paid him and than havent really played him in that position since. At this point he appears to be a 1 year wonder. I do like having the flexibility the secondary provides but to me this pick screams questions about Xavien with his knee and legal problems.

Lets not forget the value thos will provide in specials teams. Round 1 is rich but we can use talent all over the field and he can provide it in multiple areas in year 1.

Round 1 is rich but we can use talent all over the field and he can provide it in multiple areas in year 1.

It takes a post like this to bring me back to my happy space.

This is all I'm saying.

I would have gone another way, maybe not have picked him up, but if we picked him instead of Hunt (he takes Davis spot), or Davis then I would have looked at it differently.

I don't want Noah at safety. I wanted McKinney, Winfield, or Delpit at safety. I could and would have stomached Noah being taken instead of Davis, then in the first round.

Taking a quick gander at the top slot corners:
  • Nickel Robey-Colemen - UDFA
  • Mackensie Alexander - 2nd
  • Justin Coleman (highest paid) - UDFA
  • Desmond King - 5th round
  • Bryce Callahan - UDFA
  • Kenny Moore - UDFA
  • Chris Harris - UDFA
I'm not saying I don't like the player. I'm saying I don't like the pick, and also that slot CB is a luxury pick.

Noah won’t be playing Safety but he allows B Jones to play Safety in certain packages.
I expect Noah to play 40-50 snaps a game. Your 3rd CB isnt a luxury - it’s a necessity.

Back
Top Bottom