Myth: Drafting a Nickel Corner is a Luxury | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Myth: Drafting a Nickel Corner is a Luxury

Noah won’t be playing Safety but he allows B Jones to play Safety in certain packages.
I expect Noah to play 40-50 snaps a game. Your 3rd CB isnt a luxury - it’s a necessity.

After the rookie contracts are up, I will try to re-examine the career paths of our CB with Tennessee's CB taken at the end of the 2and.

I'm willing to bet there won't be much difference, if any. If it weren't for the fact we overdrafted Davis, drafted a LS...then put one on the practice squad I would say the move was good to overdraft.

After the rookie contracts are up, I will try to re-examine the career paths of our CB with Tennessee's CB taken at the end of the 2and.

I'm willing to bet there won't be much difference, if any. If it weren't for the fact we overdrafted Davis, drafted a LS...then put one on the practice squad I would say the move was good to overdraft.
I don't disagree with you. I think we over drafted on a lot of players. I think the downfall of this thread will have nothing to with the strategy of trying to get a 3rd top corner, but that we might have reached on the wrong one.

It just felt like almost every pick was a reaction to a player picked 1-2 spots ahead of us. Having Dobbins and Ashtyn Davis go one pick before us in the 2nd was brutal. I would add Lamb, but I know we were going OT there.

And the thing I most worry about was that Noah was simply picked as a reaction to missing on Ruiz.

I hope I'm wrong, but after Tua, the draft seemed to not fall our way and we reacted poorly.

I don't disagree with you. I think we over drafted on a lot of players. I think the downfall of this thread will have nothing to with the strategy of trying to get a 3rd top corner, but that we might have reached on the wrong one.

It just felt like almost every pick was a reaction to a player picked 1-2 spots ahead of us. Having Dobbins and Ashtyn Davis go one pick before us in the 2nd was brutal. I would add Lamb, but I know we were going OT there.

And the thing I most worry about was that Noah was simply picked as a reaction to missing on Ruiz.

I hope I'm wrong, but after Tua, the draft seemed to not fall our way and we reacted poorly.

I could not agree more. After Tua everything seemed like a reach until Weaver.

The only way that makes sense is if our pick went

Ruiz gets picked:
Grier: Noooo!! Igg bin!! Ohh Gee!! ...heennyy!
ROSS: OK thats the pick, I texted roger

Yeah i don't think a natural reaction to someone stealing your Oline prospect is to draft a DB, If he was upset you reach for an Olineman at that position

The only way that makes sense is if our pick went

Ruiz gets picked:
Grier: Noooo!! Igg bin!! Ohh Gee!! ...heennyy!
ROSS: OK thats the pick, I texted roger

Yeah i don't think a natural reaction to someone stealing your Oline prospect is to draft a DB, If he was upset you reach for an Olineman at that position
There have been reports that the war room had multiple table slams in picks right before ours.

And if you hypothetically want Ruiz and miss out on him, you don't have to automatically react by reaching on the next O-lineman. What if there isn't one you value at 26. We easily could've had Noah as our next BPA, but we knew we could trade back and get him.

We don't know how anything went down, but your assumption on what they would do might be the worst reaction to have.

Myth: McCain can play safety.
No one thinks he can. We already have 10 picks and the most cap space next offseason. I'm not worried that we won't have safeties when it really starts mattering in 2021.

I wanted Ashtyn Davis, but hopefully Brandon Jones is a contributor.

I'm not worried that we have the highest paid CB duo, or that we overpaid Mccain. We barely have any money on the books and we'll have the most cap space by far this offseason. We can replicate our spending spree of this past free agency and then some.

Mccain is a free safety if he plays. His contract, was an overpay and a mistake, but should not impact any moves we make.
Wow.....almost everything you said is incorrect, from being able to replicate our spending to McCain being a safety.

Is this what it's like to be a Dolphin fan?

Somebody has an opinion different than yours and we're "mad". What happened to having a disagreement on a message board?

I don't like the pick...you obviously love the pick.

Good.

For.

You.

Bobby McCain was one of the best slot CB's in the league and was moved to the boundary. We drafted him. You don't let quality players you draft walk out the door. Yes, he is a quality player...at the slot particulary, it may hurt your feelings but he was. That said, I don't like slot in the 1st round. I also don't like the smell of gasoline. Does that make me wrong about not wanting to have my windows down at the pump?
I like the smell of gasoline......

Who's with me???

There have been reports that the war room had multiple table slams in picks right before ours.

And if you hypothetically want Ruiz and miss out on him, you don't have to automatically react by reaching on the next O-lineman. What if there isn't one you value at 26. We easily could've had Noah as our next BPA, but we knew we could trade back and get him.

We don't know how anything went down, but your assumption on what they would do might be the worst reaction to have.

Those the same reports that had us taking Herbert?

Y'all are so gullible around this forum. You believe reports but don't believe these kids were high on Miami's board and think you can get them later in the draft...

Nobody knows who Miami targeted at any pick, just like they didn't know Tua was the qb they wanted.

Wow.....almost everything you said is incorrect, from being able to replicate our spending to McCain being a safety.
The Dolphins are projected to have 60-80 million in cap depending on who we re-sign. So even if we can't match last year, we can still spend more than anyone in the league.

And regarding what position Mccain is, you have to ask Flores. I know he has been moved around a lot, but he hasn't had a decent year since 2017.

He's an afterthought on this team, and is being used as a placeholder FS.

From what I've read, we are stuck w him in 2020, but we can cut him in 2021 and be left with less than 1 million in dead cap. If that is true, he is completely irrelevant to our future.

The Dolphins are projected to have 60-80 million in cap depending on who we re-sign. So even if we can't match last year, we can still spend more than anyone in the league.

And regarding what position Mccain is, you have to ask Flores. I know he has been moved around a lot, but he hasn't had a decent year since 2017.

He's an afterthought on this team, and is being used as a placeholder FS.

From what I've read, we are stuck w him in 2020, but we can cut him in 2021 and be left with less than 1 million in dead cap. If that is true, he is completely irrelevant to our future.
According to Spotrac, we are projected to be 7th.

Projections aren't concrete, but we almost assuredly won't have the most.

McCain last had a good year when he was, primarily, a slot corner. Last season was the only time he was used as a safety, and I don't believe that was planned, or is the plan going forward. It was done out of necessity, once Fitzpatrick was dealt to Pittsburgh. I do agree, he is not likely in our future plans.

Just depend on the dynamics in play.

When you can't run the ball or stop the run, a nickel corner is a luxury pick, especially with 2 highly paid CBs already on the roster.

According to Spotrac, we are projected to be 7th.

Projections aren't concrete, but we almost assuredly won't have the most.

McCain last had a good year when he was, primarily, a slot corner. Last season was the only time he was used as a safety, and I don't believe that was planned, or is the plan going forward. It was done out of necessity, once Fitzpatrick was dealt to Pittsburgh. I do agree, he is not likely in our future plans.
Thank you, I stand corrected. We are 7th. But we are still at 80 million, with the only notable free agents I can think of being McMillan and Breida (who we will see if we even re-sign). I'm guessing we get pushed up that list by the time contract extensions are done.

I am wrong that we can match what we did last offseason, but we can be among the top tier players again.

What really hurts us is the over 20 million in dead cap we have to carry for one more season. Jones and Minkah alone count for about 13 million.

But we are free from dead cap after next offseason, which will be a boost in retaining our current talent in the future.

And I agree that Mccain was only put at safety out of desperation. He is solely a nickel corner. I know bringing in Fitzpatrick moved him around, but the whole saga has only displayed his lack of versatility in playing outside or safety. Either that, or he just had a very good outlier season in 2017.

Noah and Needham can both play inside and out. This allows Flores the option to move Jones (or more likely Xavien) into the slot if a guy like Thielen or Keenan Allen are lined up there. Something the Patriots do with Stephon Gilmore.

Overall I feel Bobby is a 7 million dollar man without a good fit in this scheme. Good thing we can cut him for basically nothing in one more year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom