Name your 5 most painful moments as a Dolphins fan | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Name your 5 most painful moments as a Dolphins fan

And right now, it feels like we're on the cusp of another run of greatness.

Fins Up.
It really does feel different this year, I have always been hopeful, but this seems like we are finally getting closer. I have not been this optimistic since Ricky was being run into the ground while praying Fielder can just not mess it up. I sure miss that defense (Thomas, Taylor, Surtain, Madison).

Almost as cool as the Bruise brothers (Blackwoods were FS and SS right?).

I'm 99.9% sure it was Franklin who fumbled while the Dolphins were trying to milk the clock in the 4th quarter.

You are correct.....we had the lead and were driving again and Franklin fumble as we approached the redzone.

1. Day we traded Wes Welker.
2. Every time Ricky Williams was busted for smoking weed and suspended.
3. Hearing Jr Seau committed suicide.
4. Day Dan Marino retired.
5. Losing Super Bowl XIX vs 49ers.

In no particular order, they all still burn a hole in my heart and stomach!

1. Getting annihilated by Jacksonville in the playoffs.

2. Blowing it against NE in the 1985 playoffs. **** Mosey Tattupu!

3. Losing the 1982 SB to Washington.

4. Losing the 1984 SB to San Francisco.

5. Blowing it in the 1994 playoffs against San Diego.

Ricky Williams quitting the team
Marino Tears his achilles
Jacksonville playoff loss disaster
Miami drafts Ted Ginn Jr.
Reading through the front page after a loss

Riggins run
Sea of hands
SD loss
Marino achilles
Jax beatdown
What makes the Sea of Hands Game, or Super Bowl VIII 1/2 as some were calling it, so painful was Miami had the pedigree. The Dolphins had won two straight with virtually the same crew. It was there for the taking and the Dolphins should have won that game. There was also a non-call of pass interference on Warfield that was costly, but doesn't show up in the the box score.

It wouldn't have been easy at home versus Pittsburgh the next week. But Bradshaw wasn't very good that year with a passer rating around 48. Griese was clearly the better quarterback and Miami's home field advantage was real.

85 was painful, but Miami was uncertain. Even though the Dolphins matched up well against the Bears, it was a team that had some bad games.

94 hurt, but hard to imagine Miami beating SF.

Losing to SF in the Superbowl

Losing to the Bill's in '92 Championsbip game

Losing to New England in the '85 AFC championship game

Losing to the Chargers in the '94 Divisional round

Losing to Jaguars in '99 playoffs and being blown out in Marinos final game.

1. San Diego playoff game, when Uwe von Shank must have had money on the Chargers. What an incredible comeback, wasted to a degree.
2. Dwight Stephenson career being ended by Marty Lyons on a total cheap shot.
3. The Redskins Superbowl loss, it should never have happened, why Don didn't put Strock in I have no idea.
4. The Snowplow game in NE, incredible how that Foxboro curse worked back then....
5. Losing the Patriots 1985 AFC championship game, we would have eaten Chicago for a second time.

The positive Dolphins moments thread is more enjoyable to me now. Glad to see that thread.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer here again, but one important issue fore me is the PI rule changes.

Marino was playing in a totally different passing game than these other QBs that broke his records last 20 years. I guess the same could probably be said about the previous generations? Or...not really? The NFL made a choice to make this a passing game, or at least some rule changes to increase the scoring and excitement.

Every time I see the top passers of all time during any NFL game (all it seems like!), I think - that's kind of BS. Peyton, Brees, Brady played the game with different rules for the majority of their career. Correct me if I am wrong or just way off base, I just post random thoughts about this stuff without much research.

Was this topic discussed ad nauseum years ago during one of my lurking breaks?

I don't want to make another thread for just this. Was Philbin really upset and making everyone pick up gum wrappers off the practice field or was this just a rumor? I missed some of those Dolphins Hard Knocks HBO shows and I heard this (hell maybe I read it here!). That seems just absurd if true. Fine for 1960's I guess, good in concept and I'd expect my 4yr old to do that....but man this seems like it would not fly in todays NFL. Did he lose the whole team before week 1?

EDIT: Yep - I am slightly drunk. First time embarrassing myself in this forum. Sometimes I regret the time I went from lurking everywhere to posting whatever thought popped in my head after a few drinks.

Last edited:
1) 1974 playoff loss at Oakland. That is an in a category all by itself in franchise history. I've mentioned many times that I cried all the way through Hee Haw.

2) Stunning Sunday afternoon spring 1974 when we learned that Csonka, Kiick and Warfield would depart to the WFL. That was not leaked or anticipated at all. No one took the new league seriously

3) Super Bowl defeat to the Redskins. That one stung because I expected to win, unlike the Super Bowl defeats to Dallas earlier and San Francisco later. By middle of the second quarter it was obvious Miami matched up horribly with the Redskins and specifically the offensive line. But the Redskins didn't know how good they were until the 4th quarter. Miami had opportunities, especially the Bokamper play

4) Abandoning the Orange Bowl. From that point forward I was convinced I'd never see another Super Bowl title. You aren't rewarded for mistakes of that magnitude

5) Trading Freddie Solomon and a first round pick to the 49ers for Delvin Williams. That move was a signal that Shula wasn't particularly bright. I looked at it that way and so did many of my friends from the neighborhood. We always gave Shula the benefit of a doubt on virtually everything. That trade was the first jolting evidence that Shula had thrived based on hard work, dedication and toughness more than great instincts. After that Solomon trade it followed suit that sharper guys would inevitably enter the league as head coaches, passing Shula by

Back
Top Bottom