Nate Orchard Expected To Sign | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nate Orchard Expected To Sign

cuzinvinny

Active Roster
Reaction score
Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports that Nate Orchard worked out for the team and is expected to sign a deal in the near future.

Orchard spent a little over a month with the Seahawks this offseason before being released in the wake of Ziggy Ansah’s arrival in Seattle. He played three games for the Bills and one game for the Chiefs last year after spending the first three years of his career with the Browns.

Orchard has 69 tackles, five sacks, two forced fumbles and an interception over the course of his career.

DE 6'3" 255 Lbs. 26 age

Note: Patriots just signed Jamie Collins

Last edited:
Orchard was pretty good in college. But it hasn't clicked for him at the pro level. Always thought he'd be a decent player, but it hasn't happened, yet.

I remember Orchard coming out. I wasnt a fan. I am a little surprised they would be interested in him because he wasnt the set the edge type. But maybe they will give a shot at some 3rd down pass rush type situations.

Stop f****** around and sign Nick Perry already. I don’t care what new scheme we have we need a legit edge rusher because right now we have 0.

Whats so special about Nick Perry? Guy is as mediocre as they come with zero upside and lots of missed games. Pretty much no difference in either guy here.

Whats so special about Nick Perry? Guy is as mediocre as they come with zero upside and lots of missed games.

He’s proven that he can be effective pass rusher in this league (11 sacks one year, arguably best player on their defense that season) which is a hell of a lot better than anyone on our roster can say. And I don’t want to lose to the eagles, ever.

He ran a 4.8 at combine with a 7.2 3-cone, 4.43 short shuttle, and 12.06 long shuttle. Don't know how his injury affected his athletic ability.

Orchard hurt his ankle against the Dolphins and was seen in the locker room postgame in a walking boot. Head coach Hue Jackson called it a high ankle sprain on Monday and said the injury occurred on the game's final play.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2016/10/cleveland_browns_place_nate_or.html

Orchard's scouting report:

Analysis
Strengths
Good foot quickness. Tackles struggle to handle his inside move. Explodes out of a track stance on passing downs. At his best as a squared-up rusher with a two-way go. Utilizes unique stutter step combined with burst to beat tackles inside. Seamless coordination of hands and feet as a rusher. Smooth hips to backpedal into space or turn and run laterally. Stronger at the point of attack than given credit for and offers scheme versatility. Shows juice upfield out of stand-up position. Still improving and learning his craft. Has ability to discard and make plays against the run. Has upper-body flexibility to beat blocker with shoulder turn. Still improving, but shows ability to use hands to help him win quickly. Played well against Stanford LT Andrus Peat.
Weaknesses
Not much of a factor against the run. Will get engulfed at the point of attack. Scouts say he lacks "lead-dog aggressiveness." Not consistent enough as edge setter and rarely looks to lay a shoulder into fullbacks and tight ends coming across to block him. Wins with foot quickness and effort over skill and counter moves. Has a mechanical spin move. Short strider who doesn't gain as much ground around the edge as expected. A little tight in hips and rounds the corner rather than turns it. Only one year of big production.
Sources Tell Us
"When I'm on the road, I hear other scouts tell me they think he's tough enough but his tape doesn't show it. He's a finesse player with some a high ceiling as a pass rusher, but he could easily bust out." -- NFC director of college scouting
NFL Comparison
Trent Cole
Bottom Line
Teams will either be wary of Orchard's single season of sack dominance or they will view it as an indicator of growth and potential stardom. Orchard will be below average against the run, but his draft grade and paycheck will be tied to his athleticism and pass-rush talent. If he can develop counter moves, he has big potential. If not, he might be nothing more than a middling, situational pass rusher.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/nate-orchard?id=2552299

Back
Top Bottom