National Championship Game: Alabama vs Clemson | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

National Championship Game: Alabama vs Clemson

Why would they do an onside kick? Giving the ball at the 50 with 1 sec left is a chance for a hail mary.
If Alabama gets one more play and have a miraculous ending than that decision to do an onside kick must be the dumbest decision ever.

Edit: wow. They got lucky there.

Agreed. Monumentally stupid decision. It was like Alabama designed the play. I can't believe Herbstreit and the ESPN crew didn't pounce. Clemson was a half yard from handing Alabama the only possible opportunity for a miracle.

Clemson's kickoff team was wimpy all night, with all the pooch kicks. That played a role in the lousy field position they had. Alabama was starting from the 32-40 every time.

I have mixed feelings about the outcome. I despised Saban's personality so much with the Dolphins I stopped posting here because I was sure I'd be banned. There was no way I could self edit.

When he went to Alabama I started rooting against him. However, this is a pantyhose era in college football, with few exceptions. The vast majority of top programs rely on high octane offense based on spreading the field, with little or no concern to power running games or actual defensive intensity. Alabama under Saban is the one admirable exception. I've wanted to root for them but they have this annoying habit of losing a home game yet being excused into the playoffs. I despise home losses going unpunished in college football.

This time Alabama was finally clean. Clemson had the home defeat, and a high scoring embarrassment to Pittsburgh. What a dilemma. I went back and forth all night. Finally I rooted to Clemson due to the ACC alliance and the fact I can't stand Jeff Sessions. Politics never drifts too far away from my thinking. Whenever I see those Alabama fans in the stands I assign Jeff Sessions-like thought process to them. It's not too far off. South Carolina has its own beauty in Nikki Haley but at least there are some sensible areas in that state.

Sarkisian was overly cautious with the freshman quarterback. There were numerous possessions with great field position in the first half and third quarter in which another touchdown would have been a dagger. Alabama seemed to think not much could go wrong...

O.J. Howard looks like a future star. But Alabama uses him on such limited type of routes that he'll have to make an early adjustment. I get sick of all those sucker bait and switch combo routes on the sideline. Saban fell in love with them a few years ago. Overall I thought his offense was much better designed in the Mark Ingram years. That's when the current Gator coach was offensive coordinator. Alabama would kill you with delayed underneath crossing routes on third and medium. Now you never see them run that.

[TWEET]818690456745811968[/TWEET]

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish Kiffin was still on bama's coaching staff so he could take this on the chin along with Saban.

It's sad he had to win it all for that.

There are still people like, "I don't think he's a top-10 pick" :lol: I'll just say it. He's the best QB prospect this side of Andrew Luck since 2010. I'd take him over Winston, because he has Winston's intelligence, instincts, and play-making ability, but he has feet like Joe Montana - just glides across the field. He's easily better than any of the prospects from the 2016, 2014, or 2013 Drafts.

---------- Post added at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

I wish Kiffin was still on bama's coaching staff so he could take this on the chin along with Saban.

Too true! That dude is a world-class bitch.

What a great game! These types of games are why college football is so much funt o watch...the excitement, the crazy ending, the emotion...just magical.

Watson showed why he was the best player in the country...dude just seems to elevate his game on the biggest of stages. Clemson's defense should get some credit as well, great second half to keep the Tigers within striking distance.

I don't think anyone should downplay how great both these teams were all season and in this final....Bama's defense is legit and Scarborough is a fantastic player, such a pleasure watching two great teams battle it out on the biggest stage. The talent on the field was unbelivable...the number of future high round picks on both teams including the best offensive and defensive players in the country. These types of matchups is what we hope the college playoffs would bring us fans.

What a great game! These types of games are why college football is so much funt o watch...the excitement, the crazy ending, the emotion...just magical.

Watson showed why he was the best player in the country...dude just seems to elevate his game on the biggest of stages. Clemson's defense should get some credit as well, great second half to keep the Tigers within striking distance.

I don't think anyone should downplay how great both these teams were all season and in this final....Bama's defense is legit and Scarborough is a fantastic player, such a pleasure watching two great teams battle it out on the biggest stage. The talent on the field was unbelivable...the number of future high round picks on both teams including the best offensive and defensive players in the country. These types of matchups is what we hope the college playoffs would bring us fans.

Alabama fielded on of the best college D's that I've ever seen - 1st RD picks at every level. Makes Watson's performance even more impressive.

It seemed like they limited the freshman qb so he wouldn't make mistakes ... and by doing that they made him look like a freshman qb. Letting kiffin leave early hurt more than it seemed. Difference in the game imo.

Watson needed the game of his life and he delivered. Good for him. He beat a far superior team ... from a talent standpoint at least. The Browns have a really tough decision between him and garrett. Can't imagine them passing on yet another qb. I'd pray they do if I were watson. They need to hang a banner outside the locker room that says 'abandon hope all ye who enter here'.

It seemed like they limited the freshman qb so he wouldn't make mistakes ... and by doing that they made him look like a freshman qb. Letting kiffin leave early hurt more than it seemed. Difference in the game imo.

Watson needed the game of his life and he delivered. Good for him. He beat a far superior team ... from a talent standpoint at least. The Browns have a really tough decision between him and garrett. Can't imagine them passing on yet another qb. I'd pray they do if I were watson. They need to hang a banner outside the locker room that says 'abandon hope all ye who enter here'.

:lol: With Hugh Jackson running the offense, I think Watson would be successful in Cleveland, but talk about a cursed team.

I thought Watson would play a great game. I'd say I knew it, but that 'Bama D could make anyone look bad. Still, I didn't need to see a great game to know he's an elite talent. He's done it too many times in too many big spots for me to doubt him.

I'd rather he go to Cleveland than SF or Chicago. As bad as they were, they're not as far off as people think. They were terrible in 2016, because the D was atrocious, and the QB play wasn't any better.

:lol: With Hugh Jackson running the offense, I think Watson would be successful in Cleveland, but talk about a cursed team.

I thought Watson would play a great game. I'd say I knew it, but that 'Bama D could make anyone look bad. Still, I didn't need to see a great game to know he's an elite talent. He's done it too many times in too many big spots for me to doubt him.

I'd rather he go to Cleveland than SF or Chicago. As bad as they were, they're not as far off as people think. They were terrible in 2016, because the D was atrocious, and the QB play wasn't any better.

Cleveland could be moving up....I like Jackson and the Browns took a gamble gutting that team, but they have two picks in the top 12...5 in the first 3 rounds. That is a good start...Watson would be ideal first overall pick from them and you can another quality players at 12...don't want to discuss the draft too much in this thread.

Watson has always shined in big games (watched him do it to the Noles twice)...so seeing that performance is not that suprising.

Cleveland does have more talent than sf and chicago, but I'd still want to stay the hell away if I were him. That's where qbs go to die. They've had a couple decent drafts lately ... give them a qb and who knows. Jackson got a raw deal in Oakland ... maybe karma will do him and the city of cleveland a solid. They have waited long enough.

It is incredible that he put up over 400 yards on that defense ... even more so considering they couldn't run the ball. It was literally all on his shoulders and he got it done ... against a team that was flirting with that 'best ever' moniker. I agree that he's the best thing to come out since luck. Processes the field so crisply and limits his mistakes ... I'm always impressed watching him.

Cleveland does have more talent than sf and chicago, but I'd still want to stay the hell away if I were him. That's where qbs go to die. They've had a couple decent drafts lately ... give them a qb and who knows. Jackson got a raw deal in Oakland ... maybe karma will do him and the city of cleveland a solid. They have waited long enough.

It is incredible that he put up over 400 yards on that defense ... even more so considering they couldn't run the ball. It was literally all on his shoulders and he got it done ... against a team that was flirting with that 'best ever' moniker. I agree that he's the best thing to come out since luck. Processes the field so crisply and limits his mistakes ... I'm always impressed watching him.

Watson's two game totals against Alabama:

66 of 103 for 825 yards, 7 TD's, and 1 INT. He added 116 rushing yards and a TD - and a punt inside the 10. He's the goods, no doubt.

I hope people can stop the narrative that he's not a 1st round pick.

That's always been nonsense.

Mitch Trubisky above him?!? :lol:

Props to Clemson...They beat us...This one hurt....going to have to take a few days to decompress from football.
Proud and happy foe Dabo..

Back
Top Bottom