National perception of Dolphins draft highly positive | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

National perception of Dolphins draft highly positive

Love, love, love the Phillips/Holland combination on defense.

I was so worried the D would get over looked. I was spending time on 2022 Safety prospects last week.

Didn't get the C and LB I wanted but things are shaping up nicely for long term.

Last edited:
And Mike Gesicki just looking around wondering where the defense is.
Yup, I am the biggest Tua supporter and believe he will be special.

However, no excuses this year. Time to show everyone you were the right choice.

By the way, we haven't even mentioned Parker and his sideline jump balls.

Man, can't wait for September

Love, love, love the Phillips/Holland combination one defense.

I was so worried the D would get over looked. I was spending time on 2022 Safety prospects last week.

Didn't get the C and LB I wanted but things are shaping up nicely for long term.
When all is said and done....we might end up with the 2 best defensive player in the draft.

I like how our roster is coming together. Flores’ first year, in the wake of Gase’s malpractice and mismanagement, we had a total crap roster. Our acquisitions were voluminous and basically used a coarse filter. But now, year by year we are into the fine filter zone.

I think we drafted three good players yesterday. I would have done it differently but it’s not like we got bad players. My first choice would have been to get Barmore at 36 and then keep Eichenberg on the tradeup and then draft a safety in the third round. Maybe Jamar Johnson. I was very interested in Meinerz in the third but, what can you say, Flores was around him all week and passed. I will defer on that.

So how does this look

Waddle
Phillips
Barmore
Eichenberg
J johnson

Otherwise, if they wanted the second round safety and tackle, you could have gotten Jenkins and Moehrig who were both available at the spots we picked.

God help the rest of the league if San Fran is bad next year.

You will need his help to slow down this franchise.
...And the fans on this board will be angrily sending strongly-worded letters to the NFL offices to create a round before round 1 for us to draft a RB.

saw this about waddle....

"Extraordinary speed and playmaking ability. He has the ability to line up inside or outside. His acceleration in his release is elite. He destroys the cushions he receives from defenders in a hiccup and can find a second and third gear once the ball is in the air. He's at his best on runaway routes, but he flashes the ability to efficiently gear down and work back downhill. I thought his hands were improved this fall. He's one of the most talented kickoff and punt returners to enter the NFL over the last decade."

Matt Harmon – the creator of Reception Perception – scored Waddle with an 80 percent success rate on post routes, 73.7 on takeoff routes and 87.5 percent on digs. Waddle feasted on in-breaking routes, including an 80 percent success rate on slants.
His 80.3 success rate against man coverage ranked in the 98th percentile in all of college football.

"It's difficult to remember a recent prospect who can so easily flip the field, control their speed and devastate with a stop/start-move all while doing the little things like Waddle does so effortlessly. Overall, Waddle is an excellent separator. His 80.3 percent success rate vs. man coverage is not just the best in this 2021 class, it's one of the top scores among all prospects charted in Reception Perception history."

saw this about waddle....

"Extraordinary speed and playmaking ability. He has the ability to line up inside or outside. His acceleration in his release is elite. He destroys the cushions he receives from defenders in a hiccup and can find a second and third gear once the ball is in the air. He's at his best on runaway routes, but he flashes the ability to efficiently gear down and work back downhill. I thought his hands were improved this fall. He's one of the most talented kickoff and punt returners to enter the NFL over the last decade."

Matt Harmon – the creator of Reception Perception – scored Waddle with an 80 percent success rate on post routes, 73.7 on takeoff routes and 87.5 percent on digs. Waddle feasted on in-breaking routes, including an 80 percent success rate on slants.
His 80.3 success rate against man coverage ranked in the 98th percentile in all of college football.

"It's difficult to remember a recent prospect who can so easily flip the field, control their speed and devastate with a stop/start-move all while doing the little things like Waddle does so effortlessly. Overall, Waddle is an excellent separator. His 80.3 percent success rate vs. man coverage is not just the best in this 2021 class, it's one of the top scores among all prospects charted in Reception Perception history."

If Waddle can get as wide open on slants as he did at Alabama, Tua is going to be MVP this year.

If Waddle can get as wide open on slants as he did at Alabama, Tua is going to be MVP this year.
On the topic of playing on the perimeter, Waddle split his time between wide splits and inside at the slot. He played 242 snaps in 2020 with 147 of those coming from an inside alignment. That jives with Waddle's skillset. He scored a 62.5 percent success rate vs. press coverage. That mark, per Harmon, falls at the 33rd percentile among all prospects in the Reception Perception's history.

Pressing receivers in the slot – especially receivers with a sub 4.4 timed speed and perhaps even quicker game-speed – is an "enter at your own risk" proposition for opposing corners.
Waddle gained 495 yards from the slot, which ranked 24th in college football. His slot yards per game (123.8) was far and away tops in the nation.

Even for a receiver that excels in getting to top speed quickly and showcases a unique burst off the line, Waddle can haul in a contested ball downfield; he made four contested catches in his four games this past season.

Waddle finished tied for sixth in the country with an average of 10.1 yards after the catch. He also generated the 26th-most deep yards (passes throw 20-or-more yards downfield) with 329 yards on just seven passes of that criteria. He also turned seven reception on screen passes into 65 yards (9.29 yards per screen reception).

Quite happy with the draft. Glad they didn't take Sewell over Waddle as I am not a fan of drafting o-line in the top 10. Sucked to miss out on both Parsons and Collins. The Phillips pick is risky but I can appreciate taking the shot based on his talent. And while I too would've liked Najee Harris, a pass rusher is just far more valuable than a running back.

Personally I had soured a bit on Javonte Williams so I'm not upset about the Broncos taking him. Even more so because Holland looks like a very exciting prospect and I always love investing in the secondary. And I absolutely love how they approached o-line here. Recognizing the depth, not taking one too early, but then trading up to secure Eichenburg when they saw the o-line run was about to start, and they would've missed out had they stayed at #50.

"This is two years in a row we lost a player who was probably the most popular player on the team in terms of being a good teammate and being liked by his teammates," Alabama Head Coach Nick Saban said. "Tua (Tagovailoa) was that way last year, and Jaylen's that way this year. And you just hate it for him because they're just such great competitors and they mean so much to their team and their teammates."

Waddle's presence impacted more than just the stat sheet, scoreboard and locker room, he changed how opposing defenses operated.

"…Heading into that game, Missouri Head Coach Eli Drinkwitz and his staff thought they had a pretty good plan to slow down the Tide offense. That plan centered on keeping the ball out of the hands of Jaylen Waddle, who was coming off a 2019 season where he averaged 17 yards per catch and totaled 6 touchdowns while the focal point of opposing defenses.

I was like, 'Hey look guys, Jalen Waddle is what makes them go, alright? So we got to double Jalen and make DeVonta Smith beat us. Okay? He's kind of a nice piece out there, but man, we got to take Jaylen Waddle away.' "

Back
Top Bottom